Trying to Upgrade to a New Graphics Card

Status
Not open for further replies.

Umbassa

Honorable
Apr 13, 2012
Hello.

I am a completely new with computer and I wanted to upgrade to a new graphics card. I purchased a EVGA GeForce GTX 560:

(Here: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0050I1PH4/ref=ox_ya_os_product)

Is my motherboard compatible with this graphics card? When I tried to install it my screen went black.

Here is the information I have about my computer, got it form Belarc Advisor:

Board: PEGATRON CORPORATION EVANS 1.02
Bus Clock: 200 megahertz
BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. 5.07 01/26/2010

Also could you recommend a power supply for this graphics card? I'm pretty sure I would need a new one.

Thank you in advance.

Umbassa

Honorable
Apr 13, 2012
Thanks for getting back to me!

And no, no video was displayed at all, the screen was completely dark. I think I did two things wrong, one is that I don't have the right power supply (thanks for the link, that one is 500+, the one I have installed is Bestec 250W, not nearly enough I see) and the other was that I didn't follow your advice and go into the BIOS and enabled it, so I think I'll do that after I pick up a new power supply.

Noob question here, but is it necessary that I remove the old graphics card? Not going to lie, I have no idea where it is.

http://s38.photobucket.com/albums/e119/Phiyade/?action=view&current=2012-04-13_17-35-38_484.jpg

That's my computer. I have a Intel(R) G41 Express Chipset, was going to put the new graphics card in the think black line you see above the fan. Any thing I should know?

Sorry again for being new to all this - it was supposed to be easy.

GI_JONES

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2006
Looks like you were using onboard graphics. That means the chip is part of your motherboard and cant be removed. Good news is, you dont have to remove it, Once you put a card in the pcix slot your bios should switch from the integrated graphics to the card

Status
Not open for further replies.