Demogorgon in Kuo-Toa cave

Alex wrote:
> What do I do to release "the five" ? I've tried animal summoning, but
> nothing happened ...

Have the summoned animal step onto the altar.

Kish <Kish_K@pacbell.net> wrote in message news:<GvCLc.94930$Ho6.91765@newssvr29.news.prodigy.com>...
> Alex wrote:
> > What do I do to release "the five" ? I've tried animal summoning, but
> > nothing happened ...
>
> Have the summoned animal step onto the altar.

Or any of the NPC's :D

> > What do I do to release "the five" ? I've tried animal summoning, but
> > nothing happened ...
>
> Have the summoned animal step onto the altar.

Or shapechange your party members, have a druid shapeshift, or dominate an
Underdark dweller and shapechange it to an animal ;-)

KC Wong wrote:
>>>What do I do to release "the five" ? I've tried animal summoning, but
>>>nothing happened ...
>>
>>Have the summoned animal step onto the altar.
>

> Or shapechange your party members, have a druid shapeshift, or dominate an
> Underdark dweller and shapechange it to an animal ;-)

None of that's necessary--anything counts as an "animal" to Demogorgon.
You can offer a party member if you want, I just...wouldn't recommend
it. :p

alex

"Kish" <Kish_K@pacbell.net> schreef in bericht
> Alex wrote:
> > What do I do to release "the five" ? I've tried animal summoning, but
> > nothing happened ...
>
> Have the summoned animal step onto the altar.

I had Jaheira summon 3 Mountain Lions on the altar. Then nohing happened, so
I killed them (interpreting the term sacrifice) and still nothing happened.
I assume that the altar is the huge statue...

Alex wrote:

> "Kish" <Kish_K@pacbell.net> schreef in bericht
>
>>Alex wrote:
>>
>>>What do I do to release "the five" ? I've tried animal summoning, but
>>>nothing happened ...
>>
>>Have the summoned animal step onto the altar.
>

> I had Jaheira summon 3 Mountain Lions on the altar. Then nohing happened, so
> I killed them (interpreting the term sacrifice) and still nothing happened.
> I assume that the altar is the huge statue...

Have them step, alive, onto the altar--the platform in front of the statue.

"Alex" <avandoesburg@wanadoo.nl> wrote in message

> "Kish" <Kish_K@pacbell.net> schreef in bericht
> > Alex wrote:
> > > What do I do to release "the five" ? I've tried animal summoning,
but
> > > nothing happened ...
> >
> > Have the summoned animal step onto the altar.
>
> I had Jaheira summon 3 Mountain Lions on the altar. Then nohing
happened, so
> I killed them (interpreting the term sacrifice) and still nothing
happened.
> I assume that the altar is the huge statue...

I suspect that it's the fact that you summoned them already-on the altar
that is the problem... quite possibly the trigger is set to go off when
something *enters* the area by walking from *outside* it, if it's
summoned in the area then the check for whether a creature is entering
the area is not made ;-)

Jonathan.

alex

> I suspect that it's the fact that you summoned them already-on the altar
> that is the problem... quite possibly the trigger is set to go off when
> something *enters* the area by walking from *outside* it, if it's
> summoned in the area then the check for whether a creature is entering
> the area is not made ;-)
>
> Jonathan.

I'll try that, thanx

> Alex wrote:
>
> > "Kish" <Kish_K@pacbell.net> schreef in bericht

> >>Have the summoned animal step onto the altar.
> >

> > I had Jaheira summon 3 Mountain Lions on the altar. Then nohing
happened, so
> > I killed them (interpreting the term sacrifice) and still nothing
happened.
> > I assume that the altar is the huge statue...
>
> Have them step, alive, onto the altar--the platform in front of the
statue.

I just took a group through there, and was going to do this little quest,
but then I thought, my PC is NG; what is he doing sacrificing to Demogorgon?
(Plus, I'd installed the improved version of this encounter and it was too
hard for my party. :) ) My question to anyone--do you know if this is
something that the Virtue mod looks at?

Cyn

Cynthia Crise wrote:
> I just took a group through there, and was going to do this little quest,
> but then I thought, my PC is NG; what is he doing sacrificing to Demogorgon?
> (Plus, I'd installed the improved version of this encounter and it was too
> hard for my party. :) ) My question to anyone--do you know if this is
> something that the Virtue mod looks at?

Virtue doesn't do anything here, no. There aren't any direct negative
effects on anything other than the summons (which you don't get a Virtue
drop for killing normally anyway), so I'm not sure it's "evil" enough to
warrant a drop in Virtue.

- Sim

"Cynthia Crise" <CynCrise@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
> I just took a group through there, and was going to do this little quest,
> but then I thought, my PC is NG; what is he doing sacrificing to
Demogorgon?

Ah, but some kind soul scribbled on the alter the purpose of the sacrifice -
it's
to summon the "children" of demogorgon.

My buckethead paladin figures it's his solemn duty to draw the foul beasts
out
and destroy them.

The warning also provides a great justification for having a fully-buffed
party!

> (Plus, I'd installed the improved version of this encounter and it was too
> hard for my party. :) )

haha yes, crushing defeats can cause introspection, can't they?

BTW, what caused you the most trouble in this fight?
They're tough with their level-drains, fireballs, Symbols and Remove Magc.
I like having one member do nothing but toss potions of icedust when the
group is hit with Remove Magic - it's a pretty good bet that a fireball is
going to soon be heading their way.

"kevin" <completely@invalid.com> wrote in message

> "Cynthia Crise" <CynCrise@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
> > I just took a group through there, and was going to do this little
quest,
> > but then I thought, my PC is NG; what is he doing sacrificing to
> Demogorgon?
>
> Ah, but some kind soul scribbled on the alter the purpose of the
sacrifice -
> it's
> to summon the "children" of demogorgon.
>
> My buckethead paladin figures it's his solemn duty to draw the foul beasts
> out
> and destroy them.

I'll buy that.

> > (Plus, I'd installed the improved version of this encounter and it was
too
> > hard for my party. :) )
>
> haha yes, crushing defeats can cause introspection, can't they?
>
> BTW, what caused you the most trouble in this fight?
> They're tough with their level-drains, fireballs, Symbols and Remove Magc.
> I like having one member do nothing but toss potions of icedust when the
> group is hit with Remove Magic - it's a pretty good bet that a fireball is
> going to soon be heading their way.

I was killed too fast to be able to pinpoint the "most trouble." I seem to
remember only 3 of them before, and now there are 5, unless I'm remembering
wrong. Level-drain always catches me unaware, but I'm getting a little
smarter and using Chaotic Commands more. I used icedust recently for the
first time, and the results were gratifying. I'm just not a good tactician,
but I'm trying. Also, we went to the Underdark early, and I think my party
was underpowered. Now on the surface we're finding some encounters easier,
but I didn't expect liches in the Shade Lord's dungeon. Yech, and the pit
fiends can gate in a new one when their hit points get too low. That's just
sick. :p

Cyn

> I was killed too fast to be able to pinpoint the "most trouble." I seem
> remember only 3 of them before, and now there are 5, unless I'm
remembering
> wrong. Level-drain always catches me unaware, but I'm getting a little
> smarter and using Chaotic Commands more. I used icedust recently for the
> first time, and the results were gratifying. I'm just not a good
tactician,
> but I'm trying. Also, we went to the Underdark early, and I think my
party
> was underpowered.

Yeah, Tactics is easier if you fiddle around for some time before leaving
for
Brynnlaw. I prefer to leave early anyway though 'cause I can't both roleplay
and wait around before leaving.

My low-level group finds that

-the Sahuagins cannot be beaten without cheese (which out of spite and for
the
love of cloak they're willing to engage in here.)
-chapter 3 Bodhi is an unholy terror, but suspects that she's not too tough
for
a procastinating group
-Perth the Adept is not the good Spellhold option.
-the Spelhold Lich is to be avoided
-the underdark flayers are to be avoided
-the underdark beholders are to be avoided
-the return to civilization is likely to produce a coordinated assault by
various
combinations of night attackers, Kelsey stalkers, Tashia stalkers, Giths,
Harpers,
and also whispered rumors are sometimes circulated of gnomes wandering about
the carnage looking for Jan and Aerie. Sheesh, couldn't they take turns!
heh,
sometimes Sir Ryan Trawl arrives looking for Anomen and helps us in the
free-for-all.