Lenses for Pentax *ist DS

Last response: in Digital Camera
February 21, 2005 2:48:11 PM

I've got the 18-55 zoom that came with the camera, and I've got a
Sigma 28-200mm zoom that I had on my MZ-50 but still seems to work,
although it has trouble focussing at longer lengths. I'm looking for a
prime lens at around the 100mm or maybe 135mm mark. Are there any
lenses fully compatible with the digital, or if I got an older lens
how much will I lose from lack of digital or AF compatibility?

More about : lenses pentax ist

Anonymous
February 21, 2005 8:18:50 PM

peredonov <db007d6389@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

> I've got the 18-55 zoom that came with the camera, and I've got a
> Sigma 28-200mm zoom that I had on my MZ-50 but still seems to work,
> although it has trouble focussing at longer lengths. I'm looking for a
> prime lens at around the 100mm or maybe 135mm mark. Are there any
> lenses fully compatible with the digital, or if I got an older lens
> how much will I lose from lack of digital or AF compatibility?

This is the web site you want to peruse:

<http://www.bdimitrov.de/kmp/&gt;

Especially this page about compatibility:

<http://www.bdimitrov.de/kmp/technology/K-mount/index.ht...;

Just about any k-mount lens will work with your DS, but not in every
mode. This info is in the manual, too. :-)

Any of the newer lenses will give you auto-everything. The real problems
start when you put newer lenses on older cameras... The MZ-50 has a sort
of 'crippled' mount that restricts your use of some lenses. And I tried
to put my 18-55 on an MV, but since there's no aperture ring to open the
aperture, I ended up taking a reeeeeeely long exposure.

You also might try asking about this on rec.photo.digital.slr-systems.
Anonymous
February 22, 2005 9:48:26 PM

Pentax SMCP-"A", "F", "FA" and "FAJ" Lenses or lenses with an "A" on the
aperture ring are recommended for full use with the *ist D and the *ist DS.
(These lenses feature automatic aperture control). Older Pentax lenses may
also be used with the *ist D and *ist DS, but are limited to manual
function.

Pentax medium format lenses may also be used manually with the appropriate
adapter for that lens / format.

--
BOCH
!