Radeon HD6950 and GTS 250 together?

gipsymothmad

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2011
Okay, the back story is I was semi-conned by clever packaging into buying an SE 460. I'm not happy, it's going back, and I'm sufficiently unhappy with NVIDIA for marketing something that isn't what it says, that I'm not going near them ever again.
Which leads me to the following question.
I already own a GTS250 1GB... if I was to buy a HD6950, could I keep the 250 in my second PCI-e slot AND, more importantly, still use it for PhysX and stuff that Radeons can't do? Or would this not work?

You will need the community patch for the nvidia drivers before you can have both cards install at once. You can have both drivers installed no problem but Nvidia made sure that it will disable one of the cards on start up when the os loads that one of the cards would be disabled. As for me I have given it any real effort even though I am a vista user. Got both drivers installed as I swap cards at times. There are some long and detailed threads out there how to do this.

gipsymothmad

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2011

Ah dammit. I use XP/Vista/7/Snow Leopard/Various virtual machines. I use 7 for games, but I have a lot of stuff in Vista like virtual machines/office etc. Though I suppose they don't need physx. And neither does the Sims 3 which I run in Vista...
*Sigh* that installation seems like a lotta hassle. Maybe I should just buy an NVIDIA card and be done with it.

gipsymothmad

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2011

Hmm maybe I will go for it. Or be a sucker and buy a 470.