Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Best Non-Reference 6870?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 24, 2011 9:50:23 PM

I'm torn between two different non-reference 6870s. I want a card that will run cool, quiet, and perform without breaking the bank.

In this corner we have the XFX HD-687A-ZDBC. Weighing in with a factory overclock of 40mhz (from a base clock of 900) and sporting a dual fan non reference cooler, plus XFX customer support and a double lifetime warranty, all for $240.

Over here in the right corner, sporting the blue and white MSI trunks, is the MSI R6870 Hawk. Weighing in with a modest factory overclock of 30mhz (from a base clock of 900), and sporting the brand new Twin Frozr III cooler, it oozes overclocking potential, all for the price of $250.

I'm leaning towards the XFX card, because of the higher factory OC and the customer support. Although, I'm torn because the Twin Frozr III (if its anything like the Twin Frozr II) is the best non reference GPU cooler on the market. It runs cooler and quieter than anything else available, plus I'm confident I could juice the GPU to 1000mhz and run it stable with MSI Afterburner.

So, in your opinion, which card is a better value? Is the Twin Frozr III card worth the lack of a double lifetime warranty for the extra overclocking potential? Or is the XFX card with the high factory OC the better choice? Either way, I'm getting a good card, I just wanted some second opinions (multiple "second" opinions? Sort of a funny concept, lol).

Here are two links to the cards in question:
XFX: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
MSI: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Thanks in advance. Cheers :3

More about : reference 6870

Best solution

a c 1318 U Graphics card
a c 139 K Overclocking
February 24, 2011 9:53:51 PM

Are you still planning to be running this card in 2-3 years when the MSI warranty runs out! The answer to that question should give you the answer!
February 24, 2011 10:00:30 PM

rolli59 said:
Are you still planning to be running this card in 2-3 years when the MSI warranty runs out! The answer to that question should give you the answer!

Well, to be honest, I was planning on keeping it around for while. I was planning on putting it in a high performance HTPC once I'm done with it. I'm still leaning towards the XFX card, but the MSI Hawk is just so appealing. I just need a little convincing to pull the trigger on the XFX card :3
Related resources
a c 1318 U Graphics card
a c 139 K Overclocking
February 24, 2011 10:04:35 PM

The Dual lifetime warranty is worth it if you plan to keep it around and even if you sell it later on, just as long you register it in time (30days from purchase) to qualify!
a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
February 24, 2011 10:23:22 PM

both are great cards, but id lean to the one with better warranty if u ever counter problems with it,

some people dont beleive in warrantys, but when it breaks without a warranty u aint got jack, so trust me ,

the longer warranty will be worth it, been there done that and will never again under estimate warrantys

cheers
February 26, 2011 4:33:58 AM

Best answer selected by inflameswetrust666.
a c 169 U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
February 26, 2011 4:49:50 AM

This topic has been closed by Maziar
!