burn1021

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2009
hey people just have some questions. firstly i just got a 2500k and its awesome however at room temp (80f) the cores hit 33ish-35ish non load under load with prime 95 blend they hit 60ish with no overclock and using a cooler master hyper n 520 cooler. is this normal or are my thougts of temps being a lil high well founded?

bigbang is a little bit misinformed. 60ºC is nothing for Sandy Bridge CPUs.

You have plenty of headroom for overclocking. My recommendations for a long-term Sandy Bridge overclock:

1. Keep the peak Prime95 core temp below 75ºC
2. Keep the CPU voltage below 1.4v

You should be able to hit at least 4.0GHz with that cooler. You may want to get a better cooler for 4.5GHz though, as that usually requires 1.3-1.35v and I don't know that the N520 will handle the extra heat.

jhyukkang

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2007
hi i have a same problem. my rooms also 80F. and have zigmatek 92mm 4 heat pipe HDT cooler. it idles around 40C, and prime 95 pushes it up to 63C. and i was planning a decent OC on this chip. would u say i have room for OC and is this normal?

also each core temps are different, core 3 and 4 are at 63 ish, when core 2 is 55C and core 1 is 60. is this also normal?

You can overclock with that setup, but your undersized cooler won't help your efforts. You need a larger cooler with at least one (preferably two) 120mm fan to get the maximum overclock out of your Sandy Bridge CPU while staying within safe temps.

Just remember my recommendations for a long-term overclock:
1. Keep peak Prime95 core temps below 75ºC
2. Keep CPU voltage below 1.4v

And yes, temp variation between individual cores is normal.

burn1021

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2009
well see i recently changed from the hyper n520 to a corsair h60 and i really havent seen that much of a diff to be honest. maybe i just got a hot chip...its irritating too because im wondering if my board also isnt at fault... seems no matter how many times i turn off eist and stepping and whatnot i still cannot get my chip to stay at full 3.3 at all times it still does that whole energy saving thing... the board im using is an msi p67 g43

You have to disable EIST, SpeedStep, and all CStates settings to make the CPU run at top speed permanently. I don't recommend doing this, as Intel deliberately designed the CPUs to take advantage of the power-saving features. Plus it doesn't interfere with overclocking.

And with those closed-loop liquid coolers, the radiator orientation matters. Do you have the radiator fan sucking cool air into the case, or do you have it blowing warm air out of the case? Having it suck cool air into the case can give lower CPU temps.

By the way burn1021, my post above wasn't directed at you. It was directed at kang.

burn1021

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2009
no its fine i wasnt thinking you were lol. however, yes i have it pulling in as i did with my h50 in another system. i dont know i mean its ok but im beginning to think with my next build im just going with a custom loop and be done with it.....

burn1021

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2009
with prime thats still kinda hot with prime now even though my ambient is like 80ish f ive never had my core more than say 65ish but 80s is way too hott.... if your oc'd maybe but im not so..