DDR2 is outdated?

vish22

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2011
Hi

I have a motherboard which only support 4 GB 667MHz ram , I have only 2GB 533 MHz
I works on 3D projects so I would like to upgrade speed of my PC

so want to know if investing on RAM is not a good idea?
as someone told me that DDR2 is costly because they are outdated now and hard to find.

May be if I needed to upgrade PC for higher speed then it will be a lose of money.
If its not outdated still I can take a chance and I can sell my PC if required without lose.

Solution

Yes, DDR2 is old and people that buy it are not upgrading, they are updating old PC that is 2, 3, 4 times slower than $500 today.

What u have is so slow if compared to today's standards, that any CPU released today will beat it.

I would upgrade.

Yes, DDR2 is old and people that buy it are not upgrading, they are updating old PC that is 2, 3, 4 times slower than $500 today.

What u have is so slow if compared to today's standards, that any CPU released today will beat it.

I would upgrade.

Solution

vish22

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2011
Thanks Nikorr

I got helpful tips again from you :)

So RAM you chose for me last night , I better wait to buy new PC I think

And I would ask you when I'll exactly plan to purchase. As you have very depth knowledge of this field

You know all problem I am facing so its better to get rid of this PC and wait for better motherboard and cpu in market.

I would not put any $$$ in to old PC that is a generations behind. For about $350, u can get 2-3 times faster PC today : )

If u wan't to build a new one, just answer here in this post.

If anything, the time is right, as Ivy Bridge CPU line coming out any day now.