Status
Not open for further replies.

hawkeye321

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2010
I installed an Intel P4 550 3.4GHz on an intel d915bpl motherboard, using one of the stock coolers from an old c2d I had extra, and used arctic silver 5. The cpu runs 65C-70C right as it boots and once activity starts while using programs on XP the temps go up to 80C and up. I applied a thin layer of thermal paste to the cpu before securing the heatsink. Does this processor naturally run hot, or should I get a new heatsink?

Solution
+1 on heatsink a c2d heatisnk will not cut it as they had better thermals than the P4. A P4 on a good heatsink should idle 30's and hit 50-60 under stress.

lilotimz

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2009
Pentium 4's did run hot. I say those temps are quite normal if i recall the temps of my old celeron which idles in the 50s and gets to the 90s if i do anything really.

I would say grab a new heatsink or case and save up money for an upgrade.

P4 does run hot, but at idle, those temps are not good.

1) Is the cooler securely mounted? Pushpin coolers are notoriously hard to get mounted correctly. Look at the back side of the motherboard to verify that all 4 pins are securely through and locked. The trick to mounting is to push down on diagonal pairs of pins simultaneously. There should be no wiggle with the cooler mounted.

2) Did you use too much paste? If so, it can act as an insulator. The purpose of paste is only to fill in microscopic imperfections in the mating surfaces. The arctic silver site has a photo tutorial for each cpu type. Usually, a small dot in the center is sufficient.

3) How is your case cooling? Take the side panels off and direct a house fan at the innards. If that helps a lot, you have a case cooling issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.