Do I Need to Upgrade My Case?

maxmax18max

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2011
I am not even sure what it is. i got it from a relative for free, and was planning on building my first computer in it. here are some pics

http://www.flickr.com/photos/60465930@N03/5516282359/

It has one 120mm, and four 80mms. It can only barely fit a 10"x12" standard atx motherboard

I think a case is a very worthy investment, as it is not outdated nearly as quickly as the real hardware so I am willing to spend up to $300 on a new case if it will be able to take me through 5-7 years at least. I want it to be water cooling friendly , needs a large side window, doesn't come with any bright lights
i have my own special fans that can turn different colors or turn off when i want them to. having always-on lights would defeat the point of having fancy, expensive fans
, I prefer metal cases, and I also want it to easily fit any eATX boards with lots of breathing room.

I was looking at the 800D and HAF X. any other suggestions are welcome.

Thanks

If you want to know what i am putting in the case:

i
7 2600K. heavily overclocked on H60
EVGA P67 FTW
MSi GTX 560 Ti TFII (GTX 680 SLi next year)
8GB Dominator GT 2000mhz
XFX 750W BE (AX 1200 next year)

Solution
Looks like a Raidmax case, but hard to be sure. I can't remember seeing that particular case before, but it looks familiar. It's not a bad case, but if you want to heavily OC that 2600 and you are thinking of going SLI then you should definitely get a better case. The heat from a single GTX 560 might be a bit much for that case to dissipate and two of them is unreasonable.
For high end hardware such as that i would go for a decent full tower case like you suggested. The 800D and the HAF are good choices as far as i know, the Antec 1200 could also be another contender, i have the 902 (smaller version of it) and its great. The build quality and airflow are excellent.

Looks like a Raidmax case, but hard to be sure. I can't remember seeing that particular case before, but it looks familiar. It's not a bad case, but if you want to heavily OC that 2600 and you are thinking of going SLI then you should definitely get a better case. The heat from a single GTX 560 might be a bit much for that case to dissipate and two of them is unreasonable.

Solution

maxmax18max

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2011

great. 2 560s will be too much...

Well, I'm pretty much set on the 800D now. or Antec 1200

Well like I said it looks like an older case and you don't even have all the case fans installed on it ^_^. Back then the most unreasonable GPU was probably the 5950 Ultra (the 5800 sucked air from outside the case on one half of the back slot and spit it out the other half). Modern cards use up a bit more power now and generate more heat :O. It also doesn't look like it was designed with airflow in mind so even if you added all the fans it won't cool as well with a better case using the same fans. Anyway, since you're getting a new case, either one of those should do just fine. Of the two I'd probably go with the Antec 1200 myself but that's just my preference ^_^