Reboot and select proper boot device

m1ndf33d

Honorable
Apr 14, 2012
Hi! I have this computer of my cousin that I was tasked to fix. It doesn't go straight to Windows XP. It just keeps stalling at the screen where it says "Reboot and select proper boot device..."

~pc A - computer I'm working on
~pc B - my computer

Things I have done so far: (not in the way they appear here)

* placed HD of pc A into mobo of pc B -- BIOS detected HD (with its Brand and Model indicated)
* had that unit's (pc B) HD placed into this computer I'm working on (pc A) -- BIOS detected HD (with its Brand and Model indicated)
* tested memory one at a time (pc A) on both memory slot (pc A has two memory modules) -- same issue
* DVD drive disconnected while troubleshooting -- same issue
* already tried 4 SATA II ports -- same issue
* already tried two different SATA cables of pc B on pc A -- same issue
* removed and replaced mobo battery
* loaded BIOS defaults
* checked and verified the boot order from BIOS
* pressed and held the power button for 20-30 seconds, while the power cord was unplugged

m1ndf33d

Honorable
Apr 14, 2012
Update: I was able to boot up after removing and re-seating CMOS battery. I was even able to update several programs and do several reboots. My HD was still "dangling" inside the tower, so I had to turn it off first, then fix it in its place. After placing the HD back in its place, I was back at the same problem again. :cry:

I removed and reinserted CMOS battery once more, in hope that it would fix the issue, but still... :cry:

(*always checked the BIOS settings after each removal and replacing of CMOS battery)

I do not know what to do anymore. :sweat:

m1ndf33d

Honorable
Apr 14, 2012

That is to isolate the issue to either the HD, SATA port, or SATA cable. :whistle:

m1ndf33d

Honorable
Apr 14, 2012
UPDATE: till now, there hasn't been any resolution to this issue at all. Seems like this is one of those cases where you simply cannot detect what the problem is.

In case anyone is wondering, I have also tried to repair the OS, but it keeps stalling at a blue screen. (0x0000007f).

I have tried to replace the 2 memory modules, but still the same issue appears. Maybe it's a the HD. I have yet to buy a new one for it. Might as well let the technicians at a computer shop "guess" what the problem is.