new 7200rpm drives?

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
May 9, 2005 7:40:45 PM

Apologies if this gets asked a lot, but does anyone have any firm info
on when the next generation of 7200rpm 2.5inch laptop hard drives are
shipping, specifically 80gig and greater in size?

thanks,
-p

More about : 7200rpm drives

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 9, 2005 7:40:46 PM

plated metal wrote:
> Apologies if this gets asked a lot, but does anyone have any firm info
> on when the next generation of 7200rpm 2.5inch laptop hard drives are
> shipping, specifically 80gig and greater in size?
>
> thanks,
> -p

www.newegg.com www.zipzoomfly.com for availability of notebook drives.
What is there about the current crop of 7200rpm drives is inadequate or
what are you looking for in "next generation" drives that solves
problems with the current offerings?

a b D Laptop
May 9, 2005 10:23:00 PM

"plated metal" <ha@yeah.right> wrote in message
news:D 5mt50$g9k$1@domitilla.aioe.org...
> Apologies if this gets asked a lot, but does anyone have any firm info
> on when the next generation of 7200rpm 2.5inch laptop hard drives are
> shipping, specifically 80gig and greater in size?

Seagate www.seagate.com announced a new crop of 7200 drives over a year ago,
but since then not a word. I got tired of waiting and already upgraded the
drives in my laptops.

I am a little disappointed with the performance of my 60gig Hitachi 7200.
I've found a Toshiba 80gig 5400 drive to be about equal, if not better than,
the Hitachi.

This is probably due to the increased density of the Toshiba platters, as
well as the 16mb of cache, as opposed to the 8mb cache of the Hitachi.

Pagan
a b D Laptop
May 11, 2005 3:20:47 AM

Quaoar wrote:
> plated metal wrote:
>
>>Apologies if this gets asked a lot, but does anyone have any firm info
>>on when the next generation of 7200rpm 2.5inch laptop hard drives are
>>shipping, specifically 80gig and greater in size?
>>
>>thanks,
>>-p
>

> www.newegg.com www.zipzoomfly.com for availability of notebook drives.
> What is there about the current crop of 7200rpm drives is inadequate or
> what are you looking for in "next generation" drives that solves
> problems with the current offerings?

Just size. I want 100gig (might settle for 80). The 5200rpm Toshiba with
the 16meg buffer is an option, but I can wait a little longer for 7200rpm

-p
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 11, 2005 3:34:03 AM

Pagan wrote:
> "plated metal" <ha@yeah.right> wrote in message
> news:D 5mt50$g9k$1@domitilla.aioe.org...
>
>>Apologies if this gets asked a lot, but does anyone have any firm info
>>on when the next generation of 7200rpm 2.5inch laptop hard drives are
>>shipping, specifically 80gig and greater in size?
>

> Seagate www.seagate.com announced a new crop of 7200 drives over a year ago,
> but since then not a word. I got tired of waiting and already upgraded the
> drives in my laptops.

Hmmm. I see Seagate have announced 100gig 7200rpm drive
http://www.seagate.com/cda/products/discsales/marketing...

just three weeks ago
http://www.seagate.com/cda/newsinfo/newsroom/releases/a...

Don't see it in the stores though...

-p
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 12, 2005 11:58:24 AM

"plated metal" <ha@yeah.right> wrote in message
news:D 5qd90$c62$1@domitilla.aioe.org...
> Pagan wrote:
> > "plated metal" <ha@yeah.right> wrote in message
> > news:D 5mt50$g9k$1@domitilla.aioe.org...
> >
> >>Apologies if this gets asked a lot, but does anyone have any firm info
> >>on when the next generation of 7200rpm 2.5inch laptop hard drives are
> >>shipping, specifically 80gig and greater in size?
> >

> > Seagate www.seagate.com announced a new crop of 7200 drives over a year
ago,
> > but since then not a word. I got tired of waiting and already upgraded
the
> > drives in my laptops.
> >

> Hmmm. I see Seagate have announced 100gig 7200rpm drive

http://www.seagate.com/cda/products/discsales/marketing...

> just three weeks ago

http://www.seagate.com/cda/newsinfo/newsroom/releases/a...

> Don't see it in the stores though...

That's encouraging, slightly. Perhaps this announcement means they'll
actually have something to sell one day.

After their first announcement, I checked weekly for availability. That got
old. Still, if they don't try to recoup their entire budget for R&D with
the first 10 drives, I might check them out, if they ever get off their
butts and actually sell the dang things.

I wonder when these companies will figure out most folks use their laptops
while plugged in, and offer something that's fast without worrying about
battery life.

Pagan
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 12, 2005 4:45:42 PM

On Thu, 12 May 2005 07:58:24 -0700, "Pagan" <adsa@deputysheriff.org>
wrote:

>That's encouraging, slightly. Perhaps this announcement means they'll
>actually have something to sell one day.

I wouldn't be too surprised to start seeing these drives soon. I have
noticed that the 100GB 5400RPM Seagate drives have dropped in price
recently. When the drives were released, they were about $200-250
for the bare drive (retail), and then until now, they were about
$200 no matter where you bought them. Just yesterday, I saw that
they are now down closer to $180, so I wouldn't be surprised to see
the newer drives (100GB 7200RPM, and 120GB drives) out within the
next month or so.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 15, 2005 12:40:52 AM

plated metal <ha@yeah.right> wrote:
>Apologies if this gets asked a lot, but does anyone have any firm info
>on when the next generation of 7200rpm 2.5inch laptop hard drives are
>shipping, specifically 80gig and greater in size?

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/05/12/hitachi_travels...

Not finding it at NewEgg, ZipZoomFly, or CDW, though, so dunno about
their definition of "shipping". Nothing on Froogle either...
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 15, 2005 2:39:03 AM

Pagan wrote:
> "plated metal" <ha@yeah.right> wrote in message
> news:D 5qd90$c62$1@domitilla.aioe.org...
>> Pagan wrote:
>>> "plated metal" <ha@yeah.right> wrote in message
>>> news:D 5mt50$g9k$1@domitilla.aioe.org...

>>> Seagate www.seagate.com announced a new crop of 7200 drives over a
>>> year ago, but since then not a word. I got tired of waiting and
>>> already upgraded the drives in my laptops.
>>>

>> Hmmm. I see Seagate have announced 100gig 7200rpm drive
>>
> http://www.seagate.com/cda/products/discsales/marketing...
>>
>> just three weeks ago
>>
> http://www.seagate.com/cda/newsinfo/newsroom/releases/a...
>>
>> Don't see it in the stores though...
>
> That's encouraging, slightly. Perhaps this announcement means they'll
> actually have something to sell one day.
>
> After their first announcement, I checked weekly for availability.
> That got old. Still, if they don't try to recoup their entire budget
> for R&D with the first 10 drives, I might check them out, if they
> ever get off their butts and actually sell the dang things.
>
> I wonder when these companies will figure out most folks use their
> laptops while plugged in, and offer something that's fast without
> worrying about battery life.
>
> Pagan

The OEM market might be getting the initial supply of the drives since
large HD is a popular option. Sources like www.newegg.com,
www.zipzoomfly.com, etc., recently have been offering new laptop HD and
optical drives very soon after they come onto the market.

a b D Laptop
May 17, 2005 6:41:05 PM

William P. N. Smith wrote:
> plated metal <ha@yeah.right> wrote:
>
>>Apologies if this gets asked a lot, but does anyone have any firm info
>>on when the next generation of 7200rpm 2.5inch laptop hard drives are
>>shipping, specifically 80gig and greater in size?
>

> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/05/12/hitachi_travels...
>
> Not finding it at NewEgg, ZipZoomFly, or CDW, though, so dunno about
> their definition of "shipping". Nothing on Froogle either...

good work! i'll keep a lookout for it.

thanks,
-p
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 17, 2005 6:41:06 PM

plated metal <ha@yeah.right> wrote:
>William P. N. Smith wrote:
>> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/05/12/hitachi_travels...

>> Not finding it [...]

>i'll keep a lookout for it.

Let us know if you find it, I'm up for an upgrade or two myself...
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 30, 2005 1:35:35 AM

William P. N. Smith wrote:
>http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/05/12/hitachi_travels...

Still nothing, two weeks later. And now I'm in the market for a
capacity upgrade for my 7K60. Froogle gets a couple of hits, but only
laptopsinc.com doesn't say "not yet in stock" OSLT, and I've never
heard of them...
!