MSI GTX560 Ti upgrade performing poorly

Status
Not open for further replies.

kimfromabove1985

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2008
Hi there

I recently upgraded from a MSI HD4870 to a MSI GTX560 Ti OC and I am finding that I am getting pretty poor FPS in games. I did some research looking at benchmarks and expected to see much higher FPS on games I play such as Starcraft 2, Black Ops and BFBC2. Instead I am getting much the same if not worse than the HD4870. For example with SC2 I used to get ~40FPS and with the exact same settings on the GTX560 I get 30-35FPS.
Also benchmarks indicate that black ops should run close to 100FPS but I only get about 40FPS

The rest of my system is as follows:

E8500 @ stock 3.16ghz
4GB DDR2 800Mhz
ASUS P5Q-pro MB
Thermaltake 550W TR2 PSU
1TB WD Caviar Blue HDD
250GB WD Caviar Green HDD
I have been using FRAPS and SC2 built in FPS display

I have tried OC'ing the E8500 to 4Ghz - no difference

Does anyone have any idea what may be the problem here? I was so looking forward to much higher FPS to take advantage of my 120hz Samsung but I am feeling really deflated and $300 AUD poorer with the same results as my old HD4870

nismo9132

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2011
I hate to say it, but perhaps you purchased a faulty card. It does happen and I'd suggest contacting MSI's Tech Support. All the research I've done would point to it being a much better card so I'd have to guess that it's just defective. Hope this helps and good luck with it.

all the games you mention is cpu intensive. i myself got worse performance in COD: Black OPS compared to my GTS250. i've try reinstalling the game but i but still get the same result. applied the patch, i got worse performance. :p this is all done with my E7500 OCed to 3.6Ghz. star craft 2 running fine though.

kimfromabove1985

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2008
update** Ran Heaven benchmark yesterday on 1280x720 and got score of 880, way too low.

OK so I went out and bought a new PSU. Antec Truepower 750w. Hooked it up (also was able to hook up a 8pin to CPU instead of the old 4pin) last night and was getting the same performance.

For example is Sc2 was getting 30-40fps ultra settings. Used MSI afterburner to OC the clock up to 930Mhz (from 880Mhz) and tried Sc2 again got avg 60FPS!

Scaled OC down again and went bad again.

Messed about for a while clocking up to 950Mhz with varing performance.

Then ran another heaven benchmark (same res) and got a score of 1900! (average 70fps)

Now even on the stock clocks everything seems to be working fine. I am playing Black ops with 16AA getting about 60-80FPS and SC2 gets about 80FPS aswell.

But SC2 still recommends med or low settings...

Now I'm not sure what to do, if it keeps up this performance there is no problem, I am worried that it might be a faulty card and die again.

If the card had worked perfect straight away after installing the new PSU I would have been certain that was to blame, but the fact it didn't makes me wonder.

And of course all this happened this morning on the verge of me sending it to MSI for replacement.........

Should I get a new one from MSI (They said it's instant exchange and if they are out of stock you get the next model up....GTX570? :-D ?) or not?

Downside is no GPU = no computer (no mobo video out) for like a week and I have stuff to do on it like uni...

Sorry for the long reply but thanks for the help so far!

kimfromabove1985

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2008
Also just a side note: MSI warranty is great! 3 Year exchange warranty. They don't even test it. So I guess maybe I could see how it goes and if the need be send it in when I'm on uni holidays or something

kimfromabove1985

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2008
Urgh don't worry. Straight after posting this is did a restart and fired up black ops again, exact same settings one restart later and am getting 30-40FPS again. Also dips down to like 15fps during firefights.

my vote is FAULTY CARD

kimfromabove1985

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2008
Hey thanks for the link renz..... but what do u think it means with this in the release notes:
What’s New in Version 267.26
 Added support for the GeForce GTX 560 Ti.
It came shipped with 266.44 drivers on the disc.....

normally nvidia will release official driver (which support the card) after the card has been officially launch. but before the launch the board partners must prepare the box and driver disc so they can sell the card as soon as the NDA got lifted. the driver should work nonetheless. it will help those with difficulty to internet access to get the driver or to those that are too lazy to download the driver themselves :p

not really. your E8500 are faster than mine (3.16ghz vs 2.93ghz) and have bigger L2 cache (6mb vs 3mb) as well. your GTX560 should be at least 30% faster than mine (that's what nvidia said in their slide). anyway i do play those game but i have to double check later.

darkcola

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2011
I am searching for any topics like this and I am getting the exact same problem.

When I first bought the MSI gtx 560 ti card that you are referring to, it screamed out of the box and ran everything great, including frame rates of 110-120 with a single card and a wolfdale e8500 (3.16 dual core). This is coming from a step up from a gtx 260. Now, it still runs games great, except for certain ones like F.E.A.R. one and COD Black Ops. I get awful frame rates on ANY graphic settings that fluctuate from 120 fps to 8-10 fps. All my others I get frame rates on Crysis 2 on max settings that are from 40-60 even in massive ongoings in the background. I have scanned various web posts and find the similar problem with no solutions. Win 7 Ultimate is what I am running and I have 4 gig ram. Really, I think it is software/driver issues, not the card.

Status
Not open for further replies.