New PC, wierd issues...

Al Capwn069

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2011
Hey so I got my PC built and it's been working great. Theres just a few little issues I'd like some help with resolving. When I turn on the PC, it will come on for 10 seconds or so but it's unusable. Nothing is detected or working just the computer powers up. After that 10 seconds, it will turn off, then come back on in another 5 seconds or so and work fine. Also, when the computer goes into stand by, if I try to take it out of standby it does the same thing where the computer powers on but nothing is working. Sometimes it will beep at me like the RAM isn't working properly. I have to power it off then back on. When I do so, it will again work fine and pop into windows like it just came out of stand by and I didn't power it off at all. This has been going on for about a month now and it has just been an annoyance. Now occasionally when I turn on the computer I will also get a message saying "Overclocking failed! Please enter setup to reconfigure your system."...even though my computer isn't overclocked whatsoever. I can skip this and go straight into windows where again, it works fine. I'm assuming the problems are related. Here's my current build.

ASUS P8P67 pro B3 revision mobo
Intel Core i7-2600k
8gb DDR3 G-Skill RAM
Dual Gigabyte GTX 560 ti SOC edition
Seasonic x-series 750w PSU

Thanks in advance for the help!

crewton

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2011
You've got the cold boot random restart thing that p67 boards have. Go to Asus and update your bios to the one that fixes that problem. As far as the overclocking is concerned is your ram 1600Mhz that you manually set to 1600? G skill sets up an XMP profile for it's ram that you go into and enable XMP and then pick their profile. For some reason manually setting the RAM causes like you find random reboots.

Al Capwn069

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2011
Alright I'm off to work right now but I'll try updating the BIOS when I get home. My RAM is 1600Mhz but I didn't manually set it that way. I havn't messed with it whatsoever. It only does that when it comes out of standby though...which is wierd. And the comp and RAM works fine after that initial restart. And I hope it's not the supply...spent $2100 on this thing hope I don't have to replace a part after a month and a half! lol

Al Capwn069

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2011
Updated the BIOS to the latest version...hasn't done anything for me. The "overclocking failed" message has only appeared twice in the past few months so I don't think it is a serious issue but I can't be sure. It still does the double boot when I try to turn on the system : /

Al Capwn069

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2011
Umm now that I think about it when I built the PC I turned on my TPU switch. Possible reason for the occasional overclocking failed problem? And I tried turning the RAM down to 1333 and it had no effect on the double boot, and I can't be sure if it fixed the overclocking problem or not since it doesn't pop up that error very often.

As for a spare PSU, no I only have the one. : /

http://techinstyle.tv/products/explored-asus-tpu-performance-on-p8p67-series-motherboards/

Leave that switch on disabled reset the CMOS and Do set the RAM voltage to the one specified by the manufacturer. 1.5 or 1.6 or 1.65V, it depends on your RAM,