First build- small form factor for HD video editing, office

chemical_brother

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2011
Approximate Purchase Date: By the End of May

Budget Range: $300-500. I'm not sure how much I need to spend to get a computer for my needs. Please give me a reality check.

System Usage from Most to Least Important: MS Office, HD video editing (using GoPro), Photoshop, internet browsing, media server. This most likely wont be used for gaming- I have a PS3.

Parts Not Required: Monitor/speakers- currently using Samsung 19in HDTV

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Newegg.com

Country of Origin: USA

Parts Preferences:

Overclocking: Maybe

SLI or Crossfire: Doubt it.

Monitor Resolution: 1360x768 @ 60hz

Additional Comments: My first priority here is best value. I'm building this for my mom and she'd rather have the form factor of a Mac Mini and the function OS X, but doesn't like the price of $700 (she doesn't really know that it's "overpriced", either). Is it possible to have smaller size while staying in budget? Is a reliable Hackintosh build feasible on my first try? If I need to go up significantly in price for a build that will last as long as possible, please let me know. I'm posting from the back up Dell machine with 2.53 Ghz Celeron and 512mb of RAM. LOL

chemical_brother

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2011
OK, I wont be going with a Hackintosh build. :)

However, my mom is really eager to get a used iMac preloaded with software on eBay. I'd like to save her the trouble, since the reason I'm typing this up in the first place is because the iMac G5 we were using before had the $700 logic board fail!

The budget is up to $600-700 total, but I don't have a copy of Windows 7 yet.

striker410

Distinguished
Solution