Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Rebuilding

Last response: in Systems
May 2, 2011 7:54:26 AM

I am rebuilding with a i5 2500k and intel p67 board. Will i have to reinstall windows or will i be able to keep what`s on the hard drive?
My 1st rebuild. I`m not going to oc. What type of fan should i get thats not bulky but quiet?
Thanks for any help

More about : rebuilding

a b B Homebuilt system
May 2, 2011 7:59:58 AM

Noctua NH-D14 120mm & 140mm SSO CPU Cooler Is this bulky? Oh and by fan I'm assuming you mean for your cpu.

Yes, you will have to reinstall windows unless you have a retail copy of windows which allows you to put it on 3 computers. If you have an OEM CD you need to buy another key. You don't have to uninstall windows on your old hard drive just need a new key.
m
l
May 2, 2011 8:07:48 AM

Yes. CPU. not bulky like the hyper 212. Or price lol. Just better than stock.
m
l
Related resources
May 2, 2011 8:52:44 AM

Thanks for your replies Crewton.
m
l

Best solution

May 2, 2011 4:51:55 PM

Quote:
Will i have to reinstall windows or will i be able to keep what`s on the hard drive?

If you pull a hard drive from one system and put it into another one you typically have problems with motherboard drivers and so forth. If you want to work with it you can probably make it work, but it would be unusual if it worked right off the bat without any problems.

If you are using the same hard drive and just replacing the motherboard and cpu, it depends on what version of Windows you have. If you have a normal retail version then it will either activate just fine or you might have to call Microsoft and have them do it. If you have an OEM version of Windows then there might be issues with activating it. Technically you are not supposed to be doing big changes to the machine because now it is a different machine and not the one that Windows is authorized for. The only exception would be if your previous motherboard died and you HAD to buy a new one. Then MS will let you activate it, but you have to tell them that. Of course anything might happen and it might install and activate itself just fine.
May 2, 2011 7:46:31 PM

Best answer selected by gnilaeh.
m
l
May 2, 2011 8:03:42 PM

Thanks for the info. I am thinking of upgrading vista to win 7. Do you think the upgrade will take after the installation of the new mb and cpu?
m
l
May 3, 2011 12:15:46 AM

gnilaeh said:
Thanks for the info. I am thinking of upgrading vista to win 7. Do you think the upgrade will take after the installation of the new mb and cpu?

Not sure what you mean by "take". You can rebuild the computer, and do a clean install of Win7. There are methods easily found on the net for doing clean installs of Win7 using the upgrade disk. Since you already own Vista you are eligible for the upgrade. The upgrade will do its own activation when you install it.

Of course you could reinstall the Vista hard drive and try to get it running with the new hardware, then do a Win7 upgrade on it. If you could get the Vista running this would let you retain your installed programs. However most people recommend doing a clean install and then reinstalling your programs.

Either way you should have a good backup of your data prior to starting the rebuilding.
m
l
May 3, 2011 1:33:25 AM

cadder said:
Not sure what you mean by "take". You can rebuild the computer, and do a clean install of Win7. There are methods easily found on the net for doing clean installs of Win7 using the upgrade disk. Since you already own Vista you are eligible for the upgrade. The upgrade will do its own activation when you install it.

Of course you could reinstall the Vista hard drive and try to get it running with the new hardware, then do a Win7 upgrade on it. If you could get the Vista running this would let you retain your installed programs. However most people recommend doing a clean install and then reinstalling your programs.

Either way you should have a good backup of your data prior to starting the rebuilding.

((Since you already own Vista you are eligible for the upgrade.)) Can you tell me more about this eligible upgrade your talking bout?
m
l
May 4, 2011 9:46:32 PM

gnilaeh said:
((Since you already own Vista you are eligible for the upgrade.)) Can you tell me more about this eligible upgrade your talking bout?

You can buy a full retail version of Win7, You can buy an upgrade version of Win7, or you can buy an OEM version of Win7.

In basic terms (in case I don't get all of the legal details correct...):
If you buy the full retain version then you can install it on your computer, later you can rebuild the computer and reinstall it, or you can throw that computer away and install it on a brand new computer. There are no real limitations on what you do with it as long as you don't have it installed on more than one computer at the same time.

If you buy the upgrade version, you are supposed to already own a previous version. Past upgrades required you at some point in the install to put in your previous system CD so the install program could verify that you actually owned a version of the product that made it legal for you to upgrade since the upgrade is cheaper.

If you buy the OEM version, it is also cheaper but it is supposed to be used only with the machine that it is first installed on. So if you buy it and put it on your computer, then later you decide to build a new computer, you have to buy a new copy of Windows for the new computer.
m
l
!