Sign in with
Your question

High-end best buy rig for 3D rendering

Last response: in Systems
May 2, 2011 9:55:55 AM

Hello, I'm investing in a single cpu rig ment for 3d rendering. I was looking into a i7 extreme solution, although I think it's over r ated. Any suggestions on which cpu should I go for (price-wise)? I'm also planing to move 2 cheetah 15k.7 sas HDD from the server I got to the new rig. I'm looking into a good overclockers MB with an integrated SAS controller, although I already have a PCI Intel SAS controller.
May 2, 2011 4:45:40 PM

kngmax said:
Hello, I'm investing in a single cpu rig ment for 3d rendering. I was looking into a i7 extreme solution, although I think it's over r ated. Any suggestions on which cpu should I go for (price-wise)? I'm also planing to move 2 cheetah 15k.7 sas HDD from the server I got to the new rig. I'm looking into a good overclockers MB with an integrated SAS controller, although I already have a PCI Intel SAS controller.

It's difficult to to make recommendations without knowing the 3D software you will be using, since different programs use different technologies to to perform a render. If your software uses a "Bucket Renderer" you should get a CPU with as many cores as you can afford since each bucket can be run in a separate process and can utilize all cores at 100% capacity for a sustained period of time. A good low cost solution is AMD's 6 core CPU which does a great job considering it only costs around 200 dollars depending on model. A better solution would be an Opteron Magny-Cours 8 or 12 core processor which are still pretty affordable. If you want to go Intel I would recommend the Xeon 6 or 8 core CPU's which are excellent, but come at a much higher price.

One other thing to consider is whether or not your software has GPU rendering capabilities like CUDA that will influence your choice of graphics cards. Most modern nVidia cards have this capability and can greatly reduce rendering time.

The best thing to do is to post the specific software you plan on using and it will be easier to make useful recommendations.

---Max

May 3, 2011 9:35:44 PM

I wasn't specific about the software/hardware because I wrote the thread "on the fly".

I'm using Autodesk 3ds max and the Adobe CS5 premium package mostly. I know i will mostly benefit from a high number of cores for the rendering process. I already have 4 dual xeons e5520 (16 cores total per machine). The problem is that most of the application doesn't benefit from multiple cores/cpu at all so I end up doing a fluid simulation using only 1 cpu of a 2.2 Ghz Xeon - being slower than a q9550 quad CPU...
At the time being, I don't intend to spend money for a Xeon solution because it's just to expensive, and I'm limited only to professional server components in my country (i.e. can't order a consumer MB that support a Xeon CPU). Anyway, I was aiming for an i7. The real question is: should I go for an i7 980x, an i7 970, or an i7-2600k? I'm also planing to overclock the rig a bit (nothing to extreme since the machine is active at 100% load 24/7 most of the time). Is the 980x really worth the price?

I'm still hoping someone will suggest me a good overclockers MB with an integrated SAS controller.

thanks in advance.
!