bruno0920

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2011
Hi everyone!

I really need advice here on to what PSU should I buy and whether should I get a new cooler for CPU. This is my spec.

Motherboard: P5GC-MX/1333
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E7200 @ 2.53GHz (2 CPUs)
Memory: 3448MB RAM (4GB)Apacer UNB pc2-5300 CL5 2x2GB
HD: Samsung HD250HJ
DVD/CD RAM-writer: Sony optiarc dvd rw ad-7200s

As for GPU, my 8500GT finally crashed, I'm still thinking to buy either of these:
HD: 5770/6770, 5850/6850, 5670, 5570
GF: GTX550Ti, GTX460 1GB, GTS450, GT440

As for my CPU, also thinking to OC it to about 3.2GHz, raising the FSB from 266MHz (1066FSB) to 333MHz (1333FSB) and locking the vCore to 1.35V. Do you think the CPU fan that comes along w/ it is enough or do I have to buy a CPU cooler.

These are the CPU cooler available in our area
CoolerMaster V10, V8, Jet4, Hyper Tx3, Vortex Plus
Thermaltake Frio OCK
Antec25 H2O
Gigabyte G-Power Pro

Power Supplies:
Hec Cougar CM 500W, Rapter II, Raptor Green 500W
Civo Switching 500W
Thermaltake litepower 350w / 600W, TR2 W0379RU 500W / TR2 W0093RU 500W
Acbel CE2 500W
IMaster Pro 600W
Cougar RS 550W
Intex 600W ACCOPIA DUAL FAN POWER SUPPLY
Across ATX 500W
FSP Supersonic 500W
Heatpipe Cooled 500W

Power Supplies Not Available in Our Area That I'm considering To Have
Antec VP-450 450W
FSP HEXA 500w
Corsair CX430 V2
XFX Core Edition Pro 450W
Antec NeoEco 520W

NOTES:
0. I'm not techy person. I've tried to read all the guides about PSU here, but I'm having a hard time swallowing the information. I'm getting information overload! Please as much as possible make it as layman as possible.

1. we're not to discuss what GPU is best for my current PC spec since it's already discussed in one of the threads. I'm asking what would be the PSU to buy that could handle all of these GPU.

2. Also if you think I need a new cpu cooler, please select one before choosing a PSU.

3. It doesn't matter to me if I need to buy a molex adapter, but since you're the masters/experts, I need advice if it's advisable.

4. After you've picked your choice from the "available PSU", please compare it to the "unavailable PSU"

5. Prices doesn't matter on those items listed since all of them are w/in my budget

Thank you for all the feedback!

surfinthetao

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2011
I can only say to go for a power supply with an 80 plus rating. Get one with a good reputation. Don't skimp on the power supply. I tried to get a 600 watt power supply for half the price of the one I just bought from diablotek and it was dead on arrival. Alot of troubleshooting ensued I thought I fried my boards. As far as the cooler, I can't really comment as I have no experience with those models like the psu's you've listed, but I would recommend getting some artic silver thermal paste. I installed a 15 dollar roswell cpu cooler and knocked off 10 degrees on my quad amd compared to my amd dual core with that combo and my stress level tests don't get about 45 where on the dual core they would go into the 60's. I would recommend looking at the user reviews on newegg. It's always a good bet as theirs usually lots of reviews for most products if they're any good.

the hyper tx3 is a great cooler for the money and will get you to the clock speed you want to achieve. "I can only say to go for a power supply with an 80 plus rating." < this is not always good, many cheap psu's put fake 80 plus labels on their products along with fake wattage ratings. You generally cant go wrong with something from Antec, Corsair, XFX or seasonic. The antec Neo Eco you linked is a good psu that will power any of the graphics cards you suggested. Find a review of the PSU you want, the review must load test the PSU to its max and have ripple and noise tests included. If you cant find a review of a particular PSU, then its probably not worth buying, as no one bothered to review it. Out of the gpu's you suggested, get either the 6770, gtx460, 6850 or 5850. I listed them in order of least performance to best performance. I wouldnt get anything less than the 6770.

oby20

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2011
you need a cooler bro, from 2.53ghz to 3.2ghz is heck a big step, your cpu stock cooler will not handle that speed.
i have coolermaster v8 and its a good cooler, check your case if its wide enough, if it is then you can get Coolermaster v8 or the Thermaltake Frio OCK as this 2 cooler are the best air cooler from that list excluding Antec H20, you dont need to spend more in a water cooling with just 3.2ghz overclocking. if you have a slimmer case then the CM HyperTx3 will do.
in the available psu the thermaltake TR2 500w and the FSP superconic 500w are good psus
FSP hexa 500w is best in all psu list you have. its a newer model from FSP it has high 80% effciency(less heat to processor)
and it complies with the ATX latest 12v version(2.3)

but if you can find the FSP Everest 600w and FSP epsilon 600w psu its the better model from FSP

bruno0920

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2011

Oops, sorry, it's been 3days and I haven't got any single feedback so I thought it's a valid bump (or is bumping really not allowed? Just let the thread die and buried on the graves?)

Going forward, thanks for all the suggestion. I have read some reviews on TR2 and it depends on the model#, I'll have to double check to make sure the on the shop isn't TR2 0379 since it has bad reviews. Supersonic on the other hand... they said it's not that good model since it's been assembled w/ "cost-cutting" parts, but oh well, it seems like it's only Supersonic and TR2 are the only PSU (including Acbel w/ so-so reviews on my local country) that's good to buy. Those other PSU that aren't available on stock I do hope they are available using order-basis. Continuous study on PSU give me an understanding after using PSU calc that I need at least 400W w/ at least 25A of continuous supply.

Related to HSF, yeah I think I'll go w/ TX3 if there's really no 212+. I think v8 won't really fit in my mobo, Frio OCK is really good w/c makes too superior just to be used on my CPU.

The only valid bumping that I am aware of is in the Deals section of the forum.

if you really want to go with a psu that will blow up and produce out of spec voltage thats fine. the only good lower end thermaltake is the litepower 450w which got reviewed very well. otherwise the thermaltake tr2 80plus series look promising but no reviews, the tr2 rx are absolutely terrible.