Sign in with
Your question

M5A88-V EVO Memory issues and proper use of MEM OK feature

Last response: in Motherboards
April 14, 2012 11:29:03 PM

I am trying to use some memory not on the approved list.

I have never had so much trouble with memory as on asus boards.

The other boards i have tried like biostar and asrock don't usually seem to have issues with memory, that is not approved.

Please tell me how to make this memory work using mem ok feature or adjusting the timings of the memory.

the memory i am using is 16gb 4 times 4gb
super talent
w1333ux8g9

The error that i am getting without any overclocking of anything is a core or two will come up with errors on prime95, when using the "lots of ram tested" test.
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b } Memory
a c 198 V Motherboard
April 15, 2012 12:58:34 AM

Have you run memtest+ on the memory to make sure it is good?

Also, is your BIOS set to AUTO for the memory settings?
April 15, 2012 1:08:27 AM

do you mean use another computer?

I think if i use this computer to run memtest+ it would come back with errors just like prime95 did.

yes all settings are on auto
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
April 15, 2012 1:24:36 AM

Probably just bad RAM. If you want to confirm, try it in another machine and see if you have similar problems.
April 15, 2012 1:38:48 AM

actually i have tested 3 different pair of ram in this machine, these were actually the ones that ran best.

how does the mem ok work

asus told me to press the button until the computer shuts down and restarts.
but it never shuts down or restarts.
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b } Memory
a c 198 V Motherboard
April 15, 2012 5:04:31 AM

alohascott said:
do you mean use another computer?

I think if i use this computer to run memtest+ it would come back with errors just like prime95 did.

yes all settings are on auto

No, you test the memory in the computer you have it installed in. Go to www.memtest.org and get the latest ISO. Burn to CD. Then boot from the CD and run the memory tests.
April 15, 2012 6:37:07 AM

ok i will try that.
it seems to run ok with 8gb ram but not 16gb
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b } Memory
a c 198 V Motherboard
April 15, 2012 2:43:07 PM

Sometimes, when running with all 4 DIMMs installed, you need to tweak the memory voltage up a bit to get the system to run stable.

Have you run memtest yet?
April 15, 2012 10:44:24 PM

I am going to run it now.

which voltages should i raise and how much would be the max i should try.

there are so many settings for the memory, are any of those worth changing?
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b } Memory
a c 198 V Motherboard
April 15, 2012 11:02:35 PM

First, run memtest. Run with all DIMMs installed first. If that fails. Run with only 1 stick at a time to make sure all are good.

In your BIOS. Bump your memory voltage up .1v. Save. Try again.

While you are at it, take a look at the data label on one of your DIMMs to see what voltage the memory is designated to run at.
April 22, 2012 5:37:25 AM

sorry for the delay.
how long does this thing run?
I think its been two hours now, no errors.
does it stop when it is done, or just keep going?
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b } Memory
a c 198 V Motherboard
April 22, 2012 5:05:43 PM

Yes, it will stop when complete. It can take some time. Let it run to be thorough.
April 22, 2012 11:40:09 PM

it ran for 17 hours and was still going, I think it says 3 passes and one fail.
because of the one fail out of 4 i don't think supertalent will be accepting these ram for rma.

how much of a problem will this one error in four tests cause with every day usage?

i would still like to try raising the voltages but I think the bios says ram voltage is already at 1.64

could that actually be causing the problem?

no voltages are listed on the labels and the package it came in is long gone.

also what about north bridge voltage?
April 22, 2012 11:44:22 PM

I adjusted northbridge voltage up slightly from 1.15
and ram voltage back down to 1.55
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b } Memory
a c 198 V Motherboard
April 23, 2012 2:08:13 AM

Usually, you only need to tweak the memory voltage. Do you recall the type of failure you received and on what DIMM it was on? You should consider running memtest, one DIMM at a time to isolate if you have a memory problem with one stick in particular.

BTW, there is a forum member, jaquith, who is the master of all things memory. I am going to PM him to see if he can be of help.
April 23, 2012 2:34:28 AM

i took a picture of the results but i have no idea how to attach the picture here.

i ran prime 95 for 3 hours (still going) without any problems at the new settings.

I am a bit unclear as to how to determine the difference between memory / motherboard incompatibility and bad ram.

i did mention this board was having problems with memory not on the approved list

i tried several ram before this one and NONE of them worked.
this is the closest i have gotten to one that works.

so if i have one error in 17 hours of tests, is this really a big concern?

if these new settings don't have any problems, then what?

maybe you can tell i am ready to just finish this pain in the ass project and be done with asus and asus boards forever.
a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
a c 347 } Memory
a c 715 V Motherboard
April 23, 2012 1:01:00 PM

Q - What MOBO?
Q - What BIOS?
Q - What CPU?
Q - What Exact Kit(s) of RAM? ; please provide link(s).

* I am assuming Super Talent W1333UX8G9 which is a DDR3-1333 CAS 9 2x4GB kit @1.50v ; so you're mixing (2) kits.

* I am assuming ASUS M5A88-V EVO which is an AM3+ - http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/AMD_AM3Plus/M5A88V_EVO... ; so like with any AMD MOBO 4GB/stick density 'can' be an issue use BIOS 1202.

Use ASUS EZ Flash 2 with a non partitioned FAT32 Flash Drive; see - http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/289507-30-what-flash

If mixing (2) kits then I'd raise the DRAM Voltage from 1.50v -> 1.55v and CPU/NB Voltage from 1.10v -> 1.20v (if needed).
April 23, 2012 7:23:30 PM

I made those voltage adjustments and ran prime 95 and mem test with no errors.
thanks
a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
a c 347 } Memory
a c 715 V Motherboard
April 23, 2012 7:31:29 PM

Cool! :sol: 
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b } Memory
a c 198 V Motherboard
April 24, 2012 2:28:58 AM

Told you, jaquith is da' MAN!!!
!