M5A88-V EVO Memory issues and proper use of MEM OK feature

alohascott

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2011
I am trying to use some memory not on the approved list.

I have never had so much trouble with memory as on asus boards.

The other boards i have tried like biostar and asrock don't usually seem to have issues with memory, that is not approved.

Please tell me how to make this memory work using mem ok feature or adjusting the timings of the memory.

the memory i am using is 16gb 4 times 4gb
super talent
w1333ux8g9

The error that i am getting without any overclocking of anything is a core or two will come up with errors on prime95, when using the "lots of ram tested" test.

alohascott

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2011
actually i have tested 3 different pair of ram in this machine, these were actually the ones that ran best.

how does the mem ok work

asus told me to press the button until the computer shuts down and restarts.
but it never shuts down or restarts.

COLGeek

Cybernaut

No, you test the memory in the computer you have it installed in. Go to www.memtest.org and get the latest ISO. Burn to CD. Then boot from the CD and run the memory tests.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
First, run memtest. Run with all DIMMs installed first. If that fails. Run with only 1 stick at a time to make sure all are good.

In your BIOS. Bump your memory voltage up .1v. Save. Try again.

While you are at it, take a look at the data label on one of your DIMMs to see what voltage the memory is designated to run at.

alohascott

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2011
it ran for 17 hours and was still going, I think it says 3 passes and one fail.
because of the one fail out of 4 i don't think supertalent will be accepting these ram for rma.

how much of a problem will this one error in four tests cause with every day usage?

i would still like to try raising the voltages but I think the bios says ram voltage is already at 1.64

could that actually be causing the problem?

no voltages are listed on the labels and the package it came in is long gone.

also what about north bridge voltage?

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Usually, you only need to tweak the memory voltage. Do you recall the type of failure you received and on what DIMM it was on? You should consider running memtest, one DIMM at a time to isolate if you have a memory problem with one stick in particular.

BTW, there is a forum member, jaquith, who is the master of all things memory. I am going to PM him to see if he can be of help.

alohascott

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2011
i took a picture of the results but i have no idea how to attach the picture here.

i ran prime 95 for 3 hours (still going) without any problems at the new settings.

I am a bit unclear as to how to determine the difference between memory / motherboard incompatibility and bad ram.

i did mention this board was having problems with memory not on the approved list

i tried several ram before this one and NONE of them worked.
this is the closest i have gotten to one that works.

so if i have one error in 17 hours of tests, is this really a big concern?

if these new settings don't have any problems, then what?

maybe you can tell i am ready to just finish this pain in the ass project and be done with asus and asus boards forever.

Q - What MOBO?
Q - What BIOS?
Q - What CPU?
Q - What Exact Kit(s) of RAM? ; please provide link(s).

* I am assuming Super Talent W1333UX8G9 which is a DDR3-1333 CAS 9 2x4GB kit @1.50v ; so you're mixing (2) kits.

* I am assuming ASUS M5A88-V EVO which is an AM3+ - http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/AMD_AM3Plus/M5A88V_EVO/#download ; so like with any AMD MOBO 4GB/stick density 'can' be an issue use BIOS 1202.

Use ASUS EZ Flash 2 with a non partitioned FAT32 Flash Drive; see - http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/289507-30-what-flash

If mixing (2) kits then I'd raise the DRAM Voltage from 1.50v -> 1.55v and CPU/NB Voltage from 1.10v -> 1.20v (if needed).