How to physically secure a PC?

zedzeecorp

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2011
I'm looking for some advice on how I can secure my PC physically, so that no one can open it and gain access to its contents, eg. hard drives, RAM etc.

I appreciate that not all PC boxes have a padlock-friendly case cover, so I was wondering if there was a 'universal' one that I can buy (cheap hopefully), which pretty much fits any PC box?

I also know that if the PC box supports it, you can get a normal padlock and secure the chassis with it, but they don't all have that feature, so it would need to be something that perhaps replaces a screw that's usually used to secure the case cover or similar solution...?

I have some old Dell and IBM desktops, an iWill mini PC box and am looking to use such a lock on a future PC that I want to build as well. So, it's not specific for one machine in particular, hence the need for it to be universal.

I'd appreciate any suggestions please.

genghiskron

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2011
nothing exists universally that i know of. plastic pc cases, common on those old dells and ibms, will make it difficult. if they are sheet metal, just drill a couple of holes and secure them with a cable and padlock. You may also want to consider video cameras, as they are extremely affordable nowadays. And, as rolli59 said, locks only deter, cameras will prosecute.