I3-2100, i3-2120, and i5-2500K Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

thethinkerbox

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2010
What would the performance difference in games and video rendering be between the i3-2100 and the i3-2120, would it be directly proportional to the clock speed (about 6%) or what? More importantly, would the four cores that the i5-2500K offers (and of course, the unlocked multiplier) be worth the extra dosh?

Need: Consistent 60fps w/ Fraps running on games like Team Fortress 2, Killing Floor, Battlefield 3 (details don't need to be on Maximum for BF3), current resolution is 1600x900 but I may upgrade to 1920x1080.

As far as video rendering goes it'd be nice to have a lower time but it's not necessary as I can leave Vegas rendering over night.

Will one of the i3s meet those needs or not?

Solution
If just for the games listed go for the quad core no doubt about it. Rendering will help but a lot of cheaper software is only coded for two cores. TMPG(newer versions) Mainconcept, I believe Cinema Craft Encoder does now too. Some freeware or cheapish software doesn't use four cores or more, but I guess you get what you pay for.

Cygnus x-1

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2011
If just for the games listed go for the quad core no doubt about it. Rendering will help but a lot of cheaper software is only coded for two cores. TMPG(newer versions) Mainconcept, I believe Cinema Craft Encoder does now too. Some freeware or cheapish software doesn't use four cores or more, but I guess you get what you pay for.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.