Cannot see server using XP

jimscafe

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2010
I am trying to setup my PC (XP) so it can access the internet through a cable modem (cisco) and access a linux file server.

I have setup a static IP on the linux file server with net mask 255.255.255.0

The XP connected to the cisco device returns an ip of something like 111.68.48.0 using a net mask of 255.255.254.0

My solution was to have two network cards in the XP computer, one to get access to the internet (cable direct to cisco device) and one, with a static IP on subnet mask 255.255.255.0 to access the file server (using a switch). I do not need the file server to access the internet.

The XP can access the internet no problems. It can also ping the linux file server and I can connect to the linux server using putty (ssh), but when I go to network browse to add a network connection I cannot see the file server.

I attached an additional PC (also XP) to the switched hub which connects the server with XP and using that PC I can connect to the file server to share files - so I know that samba is working on the files server. This PC can 'see' the PC that connects to the internet when browsing the network, so I think I have set up the workgroup on both PCs correctly to match the entry in my samba.conf

What do I try next?

jimscafe

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2010
Update: I tried to connect using the IP address (//192.168.1.163/home) where home is the name of the share on the linux server - this worked ok, so I can connect and share files on the server even if I cannot browse the network and see the server - strange behaviour.