Is water cooling worth it?

Not worth it. You should just get custom coolers instead and save yourself the cash. It defiantly doesn't cost as cheap as you think. You can easily just get a Megahalems or Mugen 2 and still get to 5.0ghz. Remember 5ghz isn't a guarantee anything above 4.6ghz is a plus. Not a given.

Also, do you realize that if you cool your CPU and your GPU in the same loop the Apogee XT is a high-flow waterblock. That would mean that it'd restrict the flow of the water a bit more than other waterblocks, that would mean any other things being cooled by the same loop would not be cool as it could be.

bdbeall

Distinguished
May 27, 2010
Unless you get 2 seperate ones, one for the cpu and one for your video cards idk if you can pull the overclocking. I would say just a Hyper212+ or Mugen 2 for your video card, and make sure you get VERY LOW PRESSURE in your case, ie make all the fans except the ones on the front exhaust fans.

+1

These Sandy Bridge cpu's will hit a "ceiling" well before they hit their max temps with a average cpu h/s in regards to over clocking.

If all you're looking to cool is the cpu, that will do.

This is a question you need to answer for yourself.
Ask yourself a couple more;
Do I want lower temps than are possible with air ?
Do I want a quieter system ?
Am I willing to put in the extra time that watercooling entails ?
A little up front research may help you decide;
Watercooling Guide
Then bring your questions there.

jednx01

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2008
Speaking from personal experience, you can get some pretty darn impressive OC's on air. I have an over 40% overclock on my i7 930 with it on air. Obviously, not all air cooling solutions are created equal. I have the prolimatech megahalems cooler rev B. on my i7 and my temps are almost 10C lower than my previous cooler...