Sign in with
Your question

Is water cooling worth it?

Last response: in Systems
May 3, 2011 12:32:38 AM
May 3, 2011 12:40:10 AM

Not worth it. You should just get custom coolers instead and save yourself the cash. It defiantly doesn't cost as cheap as you think. You can easily just get a Megahalems or Mugen 2 and still get to 5.0ghz. Remember 5ghz isn't a guarantee anything above 4.6ghz is a plus. Not a given.

Also, do you realize that if you cool your CPU and your GPU in the same loop the Apogee XT is a high-flow waterblock. That would mean that it'd restrict the flow of the water a bit more than other waterblocks, that would mean any other things being cooled by the same loop would not be cool as it could be.
m
l
May 3, 2011 1:09:44 AM

Unless you get 2 seperate ones, one for the cpu and one for your video cards idk if you can pull the overclocking. I would say just a Hyper212+ or Mugen 2 for your video card, and make sure you get VERY LOW PRESSURE in your case, ie make all the fans except the ones on the front exhaust fans.
m
l
Related resources
May 3, 2011 2:13:00 AM

aznshinobi said:
Not worth it. You should just get custom coolers instead and save yourself the cash. It defiantly doesn't cost as cheap as you think. You can easily just get a Megahalems or Mugen 2 and still get to 5.0ghz. Remember 5ghz isn't a guarantee anything above 4.6ghz is a plus. Not a given.

Also, do you realize that if you cool your CPU and your GPU in the same loop the Apogee XT is a high-flow waterblock. That would mean that it'd restrict the flow of the water a bit more than other waterblocks, that would mean any other things being cooled by the same loop would not be cool as it could be.

+1

These Sandy Bridge cpu's will hit a "ceiling" well before they hit their max temps with a average cpu h/s in regards to over clocking.
m
l
May 3, 2011 9:51:11 AM

If all you're looking to cool is the cpu, that will do.
maxmax18max said:
Is water cooling worth it?

This is a question you need to answer for yourself.
Ask yourself a couple more;
Do I want lower temps than are possible with air ?
Do I want a quieter system ?
Am I willing to put in the extra time that watercooling entails ?
A little up front research may help you decide;
Watercooling Guide
Then bring your questions there.
m
l
May 3, 2011 2:25:40 PM

Speaking from personal experience, you can get some pretty darn impressive OC's on air. I have an over 40% overclock on my i7 930 with it on air. Obviously, not all air cooling solutions are created equal. I have the prolimatech megahalems cooler rev B. on my i7 and my temps are almost 10C lower than my previous cooler...
m
l
!