Sony, Nintendo Wow Games Fans with New Handhelds

Last response: in Video Games
a b Ý World of Warcraft
May 12, 2004 6:57:34 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox,alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

This is news for GAMERS so don't go accusing me of Trolling.

Sony, Nintendo Wow Games Fans with New Handhelds
Wed 12 May, 2004 06:14

By Ben Berkowitz and Daisuke Wakabayashi

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Sony Corp. threw down the gauntlet to handheld
video game leader Nintendo Co Ltd on Tuesday, unveiling its new
PlayStation Portable (PSP) with far-reaching multimedia capabilities.

Not to be outdone, Nintendo took the wraps off its own new portable
game machine, the dual-screened DS that promises to intensify a
budding war in the handheld game market.

"PSP will enter an already crowded marketplace, but one with many
opportunities," Kaz Hirai, president and chief executive of Sony
Computer Entertainment of America, told a packed audience at a
downtown studio complex here.

At stake is a market that Jupiter Research forecast this week would
grow from $1.6 billion in revenue in 2003 to $2.7 billion by 2009.

Both DS and PSP offer wireless connectivity for multiplayer gaming and
feature bright, wide screens.

Games on the PSP are almost as high quality as on Sony's PlayStation 2
console and the device also plays music and DVD-quality movies.

"As a gaming machine, I'm not as excited. For someone looking for a
multi-functional digital entertainment device, it may look quite
attractive," said Hiroshi Kamide, analyst at KBC Securities in Tokyo.

Nintendo's DS features two screens, one of which is touch-sensitive,
and can play games from its current Game Boy Advance series.

Kyoto-based Nintendo's success against other machines, often more
technically advanced than the Game Boy, relies heavily on alluring
software franchises such as Pokemon and Mario.

UNBEATEN AGAINST NINE COMPETITORS

The company said it would continue to count on such titles to fend off
challengers to its portable market dominance.

"Nine serious competitors have made a run at Game Boy Advance in the
last 15 years, but nine have failed," said George Harrison, Nintendo's
senior vice president of marketing.

One of those, according to Nintendo, is mobile phone leader Nokia
Determined to stay in the games business, despite the poor performance
of its first gaming phone, the N-Gage, Nokia announced eight new
titles for its successor, N-Gage QD.

The PSP is the most significant hardware release in four years for
Sony's game business, which accounts for two-thirds of the
conglomerate's profit and has helped offset heavy losses from its
mainstay electronics business.

And the challenge from Microsoft Corp's Xbox and other game consoles
has not gone unnoticed. The company said it would cut the price of its
premier PlayStation 2 console by up to 25 percent in the United States
to match the Xbox.

Sony's Ken Kutaragi, known as the father of the PlayStation, calls the
PSP the "Walkman of the 21st Century," and analysts say that like the
Walkman cassette and CD players of the last century, its success will
depend greatly on the price.

Neither Sony nor Nintendo gave any details on pricing, though
conventional wisdom in the industry has it that the DS will end up
somewhere around $149 and the PSP $50 to $100 more.

"(Nintendo) says it'll be affordable, but there is so much
functionality that it's going to be quite a challenge for them to get
the price below $150," Kamide said.

The handheld is becoming an increasingly important earnings generator
for Nintendo. Its GameCube console has also faced stiff competition
from the Xbox.

GameBoy Advance shipped 18 million units in the past business year to
March 31, powered by demand for new Pokemon games. Analysts forecast
that Nintendo makes 35 cents in profit for every dollar worth of
GameBoy software it sells.

Nokia's QD is expected to be less expensive than the PSP and DS
because of mobile carrier subsidies, and the company has managed to
attract commitments from the largest game publishers in the industry,
adding Atari Inc and Capcom Co Ltd this week.
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
May 12, 2004 1:09:20 PM

"DJ Saltynuts" <djsaltynuts@mbanje.com> wrote in message
> This is news for GAMERS so don't go accusing me of Trolling.

STOP TROLLING!!!!

_______________________
*SIGN POSTED*
DON'T FEED THE TROLL!
_______________________
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
May 12, 2004 4:40:51 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox,alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

Sooo, everything of interest to gamers can be posted here?

"DJ Saltynuts" <djsaltynuts@mbanje.com> wrote in message
> This is news for GAMERS so don't go accusing me of Trolling.
a b Ý World of Warcraft
May 12, 2004 6:58:05 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox,alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

How is this post 'Trolling'?
"bkr" <?> wrote in message news:10a48frlt0dmpa3@corp.supernews.com...

> "DJ Saltynuts" <djsaltynuts@mbanje.com> wrote in message
> > This is news for GAMERS so don't go accusing me of Trolling.
>
> STOP TROLLING!!!!
>
> _______________________
> *SIGN POSTED*
> DON'T FEED THE TROLL!
> _______________________

Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
May 12, 2004 6:58:06 PM

"Ice Wipe Inc." <birdworm12@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> How is this post 'Trolling'?

Not the brighest are yah?
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
May 12, 2004 11:52:03 PM

"bkr" <?> wrote in message news:10a4m9o1lnmht0f@corp.supernews.com...

> "Ice Wipe Inc." <birdworm12@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > How is this post 'Trolling'?
>
> Not the brighest are yah?

is that to say you are?? HA... I thought it was an informative post... and
not biased in any direction...

no troll to see here. Just some moron who doesnt know what he's talking
about when he thinks he's seen a troll...
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
May 12, 2004 11:52:50 PM

"Covak" <ask@me.com> wrote in message
> Sooo, everything of interest to gamers can be posted here?

you cant be serious with that?
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
May 13, 2004 6:05:41 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox,alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

> This is news for GAMERS so don't go accusing me of Trolling.

I won't. Some of the info was about the Gameboy franchise, and it's been
interesting to boot.

Jammet
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
May 13, 2004 12:32:16 PM

"Brenden D. Chase" <brendenREMOVE77@cox.net> wrote in message
> "bkr" <?> wrote in message news:10a4m9o1lnmht0f@corp.supernews.com...
> >
> > "Ice Wipe Inc." <birdworm12@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > > How is this post 'Trolling'?
> >
> > Not the brighest are yah?
> >

> is that to say you are?? HA... I thought it was an informative post...
and
> not biased in any direction...
>
> no troll to see here. Just some moron who doesnt know what he's talking
> about when he thinks he's seen a troll...

"I'm" a moron and "you" cant tell when you see/hear sarcasm?
That's a riot!
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
May 14, 2004 11:52:40 AM

"bkr" <?> wrote in message news:10a6qma2c4kcuc4@corp.supernews.com...

> "Brenden D. Chase" <brendenREMOVE77@cox.net> wrote in message
> > "bkr" <?> wrote in message news:10a4m9o1lnmht0f@corp.supernews.com...
> > >
> > > "Ice Wipe Inc." <birdworm12@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > >
> > > Not the brighest are yah?
> > >

> > is that to say you are?? HA... I thought it was an informative post...
> and
> > not biased in any direction...
> >
> > no troll to see here. Just some moron who doesnt know what he's talking
> > about when he thinks he's seen a troll...
>
> "I'm" a moron and "you" cant tell when you see/hear sarcasm?
> That's a riot!

yeah, nice 'save'
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
May 14, 2004 12:30:09 PM

> "bkr" <?> wrote in message news:10a6qma2c4kcuc4@corp.supernews.com...
> >
> > "Brenden D. Chase" <brendenREMOVE77@cox.net> wrote in message

> > > is that to say you are?? HA... I thought it was an informative
post...
> > and
> > > not biased in any direction...
> > >
> > > no troll to see here. Just some moron who doesnt know what he's
talking
> > > about when he thinks he's seen a troll...
> >
> > "I'm" a moron and "you" cant tell when you see/hear sarcasm?
> > That's a riot!
> >

> yeah, nice 'save'

Look at my original response and notice at what point I called him a
troll....
OMG, how moronic can people be?
Must you always post a *wink-wink* or a :-) to let people know it's freaking
sarcasm?
It's more sarcastic if you don't!
A-FREAKING-DUH!
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
May 14, 2004 10:21:35 PM

"bkr" <?> wrote in message news:10a9eu7kct3b811@corp.supernews.com...

> "Brenden D. Chase" <brendenREMOVE77@cox.net> wrote in message
> > "bkr" <?> wrote in message news:10a6qma2c4kcuc4@corp.supernews.com...
> > >
> > > "Brenden D. Chase" <brendenREMOVE77@cox.net> wrote in message

> post...
> > > and

> talking
> > >
> > > "I'm" a moron and "you" cant tell when you see/hear sarcasm?
> > > That's a riot!
> > >

> > yeah, nice 'save'
>
> Look at my original response and notice at what point I called him a
> troll....
> OMG, how moronic can people be?
> Must you always post a *wink-wink* or a :-) to let people know it's
freaking
> sarcasm?
> It's more sarcastic if you don't!
> A-FREAKING-DUH!

damn, someone's a bit tense... dont get so worked up over it all.
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
May 14, 2004 10:27:24 PM

Brenden D. Chase wrote:
> "bkr" <?> wrote in message news:10a9eu7kct3b811@corp.supernews.com...
>>Must you always post a *wink-wink* or a :-) to let people know it's
>
> freaking
>
>>sarcasm?
>>It's more sarcastic if you don't!
>>A-FREAKING-DUH!
>
> damn, someone's a bit tense... dont get so worked up over it all.

;)
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
May 15, 2004 4:37:30 AM

> "bkr" <?> wrote in message news:10a9eu7kct3b811@corp.supernews.com...
> >
> > "Brenden D. Chase" <brendenREMOVE77@cox.net> wrote in message

> > post...

> > talking

> > > yeah, nice 'save'
> >
> > Look at my original response and notice at what point I called him a
> > troll....
> > OMG, how moronic can people be?
> > Must you always post a *wink-wink* or a :-) to let people know it's
> freaking
> > sarcasm?
> > It's more sarcastic if you don't!
> > A-FREAKING-DUH!
> >

> damn, someone's a bit tense... dont get so worked up over it all.

Oh I get it now.....
you were just being sarcastic? NOT
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
May 15, 2004 4:38:58 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox,alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

"Brenden D. Chase" <brendenREMOVE77@cox.net> wrote in message
> "bkr" <?> wrote in message news:10a9eu7kct3b811@corp.supernews.com...
> >
> > "Brenden D. Chase" <brendenREMOVE77@cox.net> wrote in message

> > post...

> > talking

> > > yeah, nice 'save'
> >
> > Look at my original response and notice at what point I called him a
> > troll....
> > OMG, how moronic can people be?
> > Must you always post a *wink-wink* or a :-) to let people know it's
> freaking
> > sarcasm?
> > It's more sarcastic if you don't!
> > A-FREAKING-DUH!
> >

> damn, someone's a bit tense... dont get so worked up over it all.

I don't ever get worked up with what people have to say online.
I was just using caps and (!) like a pick trying to bust concrete (your
thick skull)

oh wait
*wink-wink*
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
May 15, 2004 1:53:07 PM

"bkr" <?> wrote in message news:10ab7mn50blkna2@corp.supernews.com...

> "Brenden D. Chase" <brendenREMOVE77@cox.net> wrote in message
> > "bkr" <?> wrote in message news:10a9eu7kct3b811@corp.supernews.com...
> > >
> > > "Brenden D. Chase" <brendenREMOVE77@cox.net> wrote in message

> > > post...

> > > talking

> > > Look at my original response and notice at what point I called him a
> > > troll....
> > > OMG, how moronic can people be?
> > > Must you always post a *wink-wink* or a :-) to let people know it's
> > freaking
> > > sarcasm?
> > > It's more sarcastic if you don't!
> > > A-FREAKING-DUH!
> > >

> > damn, someone's a bit tense... dont get so worked up over it all.
>
> I don't ever get worked up with what people have to say online.
> I was just using caps and (!) like a pick trying to bust concrete (your
> thick skull)
>
> oh wait
> *wink-wink*

concrete... lol... good one.