Self-installing RAM in Laptops???

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
May 9, 2005 2:41:59 PM

I know a lot of people do it, but...

1) is it easy?
2) does it invalidate my warranty?
3) what do i need watch-out for when i'm putting in the RAM so that i
don't screw up my notebook.
4) recommend going to a certified technician?

The laptop that I have is a IBM T42.

More about : installing ram laptops

May 9, 2005 7:06:16 PM

On 5/9/2005 12:41 PM, BCeizure wrote:
> I know a lot of people do it, but...
>
> 1) is it easy?
> 2) does it invalidate my warranty?
> 3) what do i need watch-out for when i'm putting in the RAM so that i
> don't screw up my notebook.
> 4) recommend going to a certified technician?
>
> The laptop that I have is a IBM T42.

Your manual should describe how to update the RAM. Make sure you buy
the right kind (www.crucial.com has a nice model lookup); that's the
hardest part. And it should invalidate the warranty.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 10, 2005 12:33:56 AM

On 5/9/2005 12:41 PM, BCeizure wrote:
> I know a lot of people do it, but...
>
> 1) is it easy?
> 2) does it invalidate my warranty?
> 3) what do i need watch-out for when i'm putting in the RAM so that i
> don't screw up my notebook.
> 4) recommend going to a certified technician?
>
> The laptop that I have is a IBM T42.

Your manual should describe how to update the RAM. Make sure you buy
the right kind (www.crucial.com has a nice model lookup); that's the
hardest part. And it should invalidate the warranty.

Did not you mean to say "should not invalidate the warranty" ? As long
as the right type of memory is installed ... And as worst, one can
always put back the originam memory.

John
Related resources
May 10, 2005 12:33:57 AM

[snip]

> Did not you mean to say "should not invalidate the warranty" ?

Yes, I meant NOT INVALIDATE.

Dan
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 10, 2005 2:09:34 AM

BCeizure wrote:
> I know a lot of people do it, but...
>
> 1) is it easy?
> 2) does it invalidate my warranty?
> 3) what do i need watch-out for when i'm putting in the RAM so that i
> don't screw up my notebook.
> 4) recommend going to a certified technician?
>
> The laptop that I have is a IBM T42.

Easy, watch the movie:
http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?...

Doesn't affect the warranty in any way.

Regards,

James
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 10, 2005 3:37:11 PM

On Mon, 09 May 2005 20:33:56 GMT, John Doue <notwobe@yahoo.com> wrote:

>On 5/9/2005 12:41 PM, BCeizure wrote:
>> I know a lot of people do it, but...
>>
>> 1) is it easy?
>> 2) does it invalidate my warranty?
>> 3) what do i need watch-out for when i'm putting in the RAM so that i
>> don't screw up my notebook.
>> 4) recommend going to a certified technician?
>>
>> The laptop that I have is a IBM T42.
>>

>Your manual should describe how to update the RAM. Make sure you buy
>the right kind (www.crucial.com has a nice model lookup); that's the
>hardest part. And it should invalidate the warranty.

Did you mean to say should not?

>Did not you mean to say "should not invalidate the warranty" ?

You asking yourself?

>As long
>as the right type of memory is installed ... And as worst, one can
>always put back the originam memory.

Only if it uses originam memory.

>John

Barry
=====
Home page
http://members.iinet.net.au/~barry.og
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 11, 2005 3:29:42 AM

BCeizure wrote:
> I know a lot of people do it, but...
>
> 1) is it easy?

Very. For the memory slot under the computer, one small phillips head
screwdriver and about 30 seconds are all you need. Really very simple.
The slot under the keyboard (which is where the memory that came
installed with your T42 is plugged in) is a little more complicated, but
the manual
(http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?...
works for me) explains how to do it quite well. About a 5 minute job.

> 2) does it invalidate my warranty?

No.

> 3) what do i need watch-out for when i'm putting in the RAM so that i
> don't screw up my notebook.

When you reboot, either look at the BIOS to tell you how much RAM, or
wait till Windows starts, and run Control Panel -> System to verify the
amount of memory you think you should have. If your machine doesn't
start, then chances are you haven't seated the memory module in its
little plug properly, so redo it. You can't hurt the computer.

> 4) recommend going to a certified technician?

Nup.

> The laptop that I have is a IBM T42.

-p
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 11, 2005 4:42:41 AM

On Mon, 09 May 2005 15:41:58 -0500, Dan <dan@nospam.com> wrote:

>[snip]
>
>> Did not you mean to say "should not invalidate the warranty" ?
>
>Yes, I meant NOT INVALIDATE.

There is a reason your teacher told u to never use double negative!
<g>
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 14, 2005 3:24:22 AM

> There is a reason your teacher told u to never use double negative!

Don't use no double negatives, and don't never use no triple negatives!

Rick Carter
!