canon 20d spots in blue sky

Last response: in Digital Camera
Share
February 21, 2005 7:51:53 PM

I have my Canon 20D and think its a great camera except for one difficulty.
Wondering if anybody else has noticed that in outdoor shots with a lot of
blue sky finding spots.
I bought my camera from circuit city and the first one had over two dozen
spots in the blue field.
I returned the camera and had it replaced, this one has two spots that I
have found and they are not small spots.
It appears the problem only is noticeable with a lot of sky blue and not
noticeable in a standard shot. These are not
"SMALL" spots but very noticeable to me. The spots are an entirely different
pattern on the new camera..

Guess I will have to take primary color shots and check it out.
Thanks
Anonymous
February 21, 2005 7:51:54 PM

"Robert" <someone@somewhere.net> wrote in message
>I have my Canon 20D and think its a great camera except for one difficulty.
> Wondering if anybody else has noticed that in outdoor shots with a lot of
> blue sky finding spots.
> I bought my camera from circuit city and the first one had over two dozen
> spots in the blue field.
> I returned the camera and had it replaced, this one has two spots that I
> have found and they are not small spots.
> It appears the problem only is noticeable with a lot of sky blue and not
> noticeable in a standard shot. These are not
> "SMALL" spots but very noticeable to me. The spots are an entirely different
> pattern on the new camera..
>
> Guess I will have to take primary color shots and check it out.
> Thanks

If you're talking about irregular spots...that are NOT defined clearly by pixel, then you
are most likely dealing with dust on your sensor. This can be fairly easily fixed by
following the directions for sensor cleaning in your manual.

Dust on the sensor creates slightly darker portions in your image, which show up as blobby
areas. There is nothing wrong with your camera if this is the case. The sensor just
needs to be cleared.
February 21, 2005 8:13:31 PM

Does this show up as only being in the blue areas ?
Be glad to send a photo to you with spots if you could tell me its dust,
seemed unusual I would have dust on two new cameras and I did a mirror
lock and inspected the sensor but could see nothing.

> "Robert" <someone@somewhere.net> wrote in message
> >I have my Canon 20D and think its a great camera except for one
difficulty.
> > Wondering if anybody else has noticed that in outdoor shots with a lot
of
> > blue sky finding spots.
> >
> > Guess I will have to take primary color shots and check it out.
> > Thanks
>
> If you're talking about irregular spots...that are NOT defined clearly by
pixel, then you
> are most likely dealing with dust on your sensor. This can be fairly
easily fixed by
> following the directions for sensor cleaning in your manual.
>
> Dust on the sensor creates slightly darker portions in your image, which
show up as blobby
> areas. There is nothing wrong with your camera if this is the case. The
sensor just
> needs to be cleared.

February 21, 2005 8:13:32 PM

> Does this show up as only being in the blue areas ?
> Be glad to send a photo to you with spots if you could tell me its dust,
> seemed unusual I would have dust on two new cameras and I did a mirror
> lock and inspected the sensor but could see nothing.

It is often only noticed in sky portions.
If you send me an image, I'll be able to tell you if it's dust.
Try taking an imabe of a light green piece of paper, or light blue, or any other light-ish
color that doesn't have much texture.

anyway... Send me a photo if you like.
I can accept up to 4MB files.
Just make changes to my e-mail address as indicated (when you try to reply).
-Mark
Anonymous
February 21, 2005 9:25:51 PM

Almost certainly dust spots. Camera manufacturers tell you not to clean the
sensor yourself, but there are two fairly safe methods that work extremely
well.

The first is called the Copper Hill method. You can find it here:
http://www.pbase.com/copperhill/ccd_cleaning
This site also has sample photos of what dust looks like, so you can decide
for yourself. The manufacturers use a slightly less sophisticated version of
the Copper Hill method.

More expensive, but arguably more effective, is the special sensor brush
made by Visible Dust. This is probably safer and better than the cleaning
method the manufacturers themselves use.
http://www.visibledust.com/
Anonymous
February 21, 2005 10:39:59 PM

Robert wrote:

> I have my Canon 20D and think its a great camera except for one difficulty.
> Wondering if anybody else has noticed that in outdoor shots with a lot of
> blue sky finding spots.

It's probably dust.. Put your camera in Av mode and select a small
aperture.. Around f/22. Now take a shot with a lot of sky. If the
spots get worse, (more pronounced and more of them) then it is dust.

Also.. Dust spots will always be in the same place..
Anonymous
February 21, 2005 10:40:00 PM

"Jim Townsend" <not@real.address> wrote in message
> Robert wrote:
>
> > I have my Canon 20D and think its a great camera except for one
difficulty.
> > Wondering if anybody else has noticed that in outdoor shots with a lot
of
> > blue sky finding spots.
>
> It's probably dust.. Put your camera in Av mode and select a small
> aperture.. Around f/22. Now take a shot with a lot of sky. If the
> spots get worse, (more pronounced and more of them) then it is dust.
>
> Also.. Dust spots will always be in the same place..

Well, not always. Dust can be stirred up and move. That is how it got there
in the first place. But generally it won't move much between consecutive
shots.
Anonymous
February 22, 2005 12:04:03 AM

C J Campbell wrote:

> "Jim Townsend" <not@real.address> wrote in message
>
>> Also.. Dust spots will always be in the same place..
>
> Well, not always. Dust can be stirred up and move. That is how it got there
> in the first place. But generally it won't move much between consecutive
> shots.

True.. But the most annoying specks are usually the most tenacious :)
Anonymous
February 22, 2005 1:15:51 AM

I think everybody here has covered your problem, but now you know where all
those UFO photos come from. :-) I used a large blower bulb to get rid of my
dust problems. Worked like a charm. The only reason the "spots" seem to
appear in the sky is because it's just one big blue pallet they easily show
up against. Actually, one of the best tests for dust is to take a shot of a
clear blue sky -- filling the entire frame with sky. If there's any dust it
will show up. Welcome to the world of DSLR's.

"Robert" <someone@somewhere.net> wrote in message
>I have my Canon 20D and think its a great camera except for one difficulty.
> Wondering if anybody else has noticed that in outdoor shots with a lot of
> blue sky finding spots.
> I bought my camera from circuit city and the first one had over two dozen
> spots in the blue field.
> I returned the camera and had it replaced, this one has two spots that I
> have found and they are not small spots.
> It appears the problem only is noticeable with a lot of sky blue and not
> noticeable in a standard shot. These are not
> "SMALL" spots but very noticeable to me. The spots are an entirely
> different
> pattern on the new camera..
>
> Guess I will have to take primary color shots and check it out.
> Thanks

February 22, 2005 1:46:06 AM

Thanks everyone for all the assistance. I looked at the sample photo at the
copperhill site and
it convinced me the problem is dust. I do appreciate the help and
information and must say its a great camera.
Robert

"C J Campbell" <christophercampbellNOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> The first is called the Copper Hill method. You can find it here:
> http://www.pbase.com/copperhill/ccd_cleaning
> This site also has sample photos of what dust looks like, so you can
decide
> for yourself. The manufacturers use a slightly less sophisticated version
of
> the Copper Hill method.
>
> More expensive, but arguably more effective, is the special sensor brush
> made by Visible Dust. This is probably safer and better than the cleaning
> method the manufacturers themselves use.
> http://www.visibledust.com/

Anonymous
February 22, 2005 3:46:38 AM

Robert wrote:
> Does this show up as only being in the blue areas ?
> Be glad to send a photo to you with spots if you could tell me its
> dust, seemed unusual I would have dust on two new cameras and I did a
> mirror lock and inspected the sensor but could see nothing.

Our eyes are particulary sensitive to blue, and spots are easier
recognizable.
If you take pictures of any bright uniform background using aperture 22 or
smaller any dust will show up. Treating the picture in Photoshop with Auto
Levels makes the spots darker and easier recognizable.

The dust particles are too small to see by the unaided eye, and are attached
to the sensor by electrostatic charges.

As I recall there is no good instructions in the manual for removing dust,
only large particles/hair using a large blower. Do NOT use compressed air!
If you want to remove it yourself you can get better advise at
www.visibledust.com or http://www.pbase.com/copperhill/ccd_cleaning.

All manufacturers charge the customer for cleaning of the sensor. Some
cameras are already dirty when you buy them, but eventually all will get
dirty after some lenschanges.

--
Frode P. Bergsager
February 22, 2005 5:19:10 AM

Sheldon wrote:

> Welcome to the world of DSLR's.

Glad I don't have to deal with this... :-)
--

Stacey
Anonymous

> Sheldon wrote:
>
>> Welcome to the world of DSLR's.
>>

> Glad I don't have to deal with this... :-)
> --
>
> Stacey

There will come a day when even the ultrasonic vibrating sensor of the Oly
will encounter a bit of dust so tenacious as to remain despite its, and
your, best efforts. Especially if you get cocky about how "dust free" the
Oly will stay.
I have an "L" shaped bit of dust that has so far resisted all attempts to
remove it, bulb, swipes, whatever.

--
Skip Middleton
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

> Thanks everyone for all the assistance. I looked at the sample photo at
the
> copperhill site and
> it convinced me the problem is dust.

Humans are filthy, what else is there to say? We all just walk around in
huge clouds of dust, like Pigpen.
Anonymous
February 22, 2005 11:38:06 AM

"Frode P. Bergsager" <fpbs@c2i.net> wrote in message
news:o hvSd.2103$4c.244514@juliett.dax.net...
> Robert wrote:
> > Does this show up as only being in the blue areas ?
> > Be glad to send a photo to you with spots if you could tell me its
> > dust, seemed unusual I would have dust on two new cameras and I did a
> > mirror lock and inspected the sensor but could see nothing.
> >

> Our eyes are particulary sensitive to blue, and spots are easier
> recognizable.
> If you take pictures of any bright uniform background using aperture 22 or
> smaller any dust will show up. Treating the picture in Photoshop with Auto
> Levels makes the spots darker and easier recognizable.
>
> The dust particles are too small to see by the unaided eye, and are
attached
> to the sensor by electrostatic charges.
>
> As I recall there is no good instructions in the manual for removing dust,
> only large particles/hair using a large blower. Do NOT use compressed air!
> If you want to remove it yourself you can get better advise at
> www.visibledust.com or http://www.pbase.com/copperhill/ccd_cleaning.
>
> All manufacturers charge the customer for cleaning of the sensor. Some
> cameras are already dirty when you buy them, but eventually all will get
> dirty after some lenschanges.
>
> --
> Frode P. Bergsager

Will high-end point and shoot cameras like sold by Canon, Nikon, Olympus and
Panasonic also get dusty? Will the dust eventually penetrate the seals or
is that not likely to happen?
Anonymous
February 22, 2005 1:28:53 PM

In article <3804neF5hkvchU2@individual.net>,
Stacey <stephe_k@bellsouth.net> wrote:
>Sheldon wrote:
>
>> Welcome to the world of DSLR's.
>>

>Glad I don't have to deal with this... :-)

*yet*
Anonymous
February 22, 2005 6:26:59 PM

On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 06:08:49 -0800, "Skip M" <shadowcatcher@cox.net>
wrote:

> There will come a day when even the ultrasonic vibrating sensor of the Oly
>will encounter a bit of dust so tenacious as to remain despite its, and
>your, best efforts. Especially if you get cocky about how "dust free" the
>Oly will stay.
> I have an "L" shaped bit of dust that has so far resisted all attempts to
>remove it, bulb, swipes, whatever.

When the Olympus shakes the dust free... where does it go?

--
Owamanga!
Anonymous

"Owamanga" <nomail@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:D 3km11lf6hghmfhpvagt4ufoe3pma62qnq@4ax.com...
> On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 06:08:49 -0800, "Skip M" <shadowcatcher@cox.net>
> wrote:
>
>> There will come a day when even the ultrasonic vibrating sensor of the
>> Oly
>>will encounter a bit of dust so tenacious as to remain despite its, and
>>your, best efforts. Especially if you get cocky about how "dust free" the
>>Oly will stay.
>> I have an "L" shaped bit of dust that has so far resisted all attempts
>>remove it, bulb, swipes, whatever.
>
> When the Olympus shakes the dust free... where does it go?
>
> --
> Owamanga!

I kind of wondered the same thing...

--
Skip Middleton
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com
February 22, 2005 7:31:35 PM

In article <d3km11lf6hghmfhpvagt4ufoe3pma62qnq@4ax.com>, nomail@hotmail.com
says...
> On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 06:08:49 -0800, "Skip M" <shadowcatcher@cox.net>
> wrote:
>
> > There will come a day when even the ultrasonic vibrating sensor of the Oly
> >will encounter a bit of dust so tenacious as to remain despite its, and
> >your, best efforts. Especially if you get cocky about how "dust free" the
> >Oly will stay.
> > I have an "L" shaped bit of dust that has so far resisted all attempts to
> >remove it, bulb, swipes, whatever.
>
> When the Olympus shakes the dust free... where does it go?
>
> --
> Owamanga!

From what I read, it is SUPPOSED to fall onto a little "Sticky" patch put
there to catch it (I wonder what happens when its "full"???)

--
Larry Lynch
Mystic, Ct.

C J Campbell wrote

>Humans are filthy, what else is there to say? We all just walk around in
>huge clouds of dust, like Pigpen.

It's not just humans, it's the universe: everywhere we look into space
it's there! Next time you see a spectacularly colored sunset or lunar
eclipse, they're only like that because someone or something has chucked
a load of dust into the air. :-)

--
Hil
Anonymous

Owamanga <nomail@hotmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 06:08:49 -0800, "Skip M" <shadowcatcher@cox.net>
> wrote:
>
> > There will come a day when even the ultrasonic vibrating sensor of the Oly
> >will encounter a bit of dust so tenacious as to remain despite its, and
> >your, best efforts. Especially if you get cocky about how "dust free" the
> >Oly will stay.
> > I have an "L" shaped bit of dust that has so far resisted all attempts to
> >remove it, bulb, swipes, whatever.
>
> When the Olympus shakes the dust free... where does it go?

Check out the special animation at the Oly website. It explains the
process very well.

Ton
Anonymous
February 23, 2005 2:09:28 AM

"Owamanga" <nomail@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:D 3km11lf6hghmfhpvagt4ufoe3pma62qnq@4ax.com...
> On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 06:08:49 -0800, "Skip M" <shadowcatcher@cox.net>
> wrote:
>
>> There will come a day when even the ultrasonic vibrating sensor of the Oly
>>will encounter a bit of dust so tenacious as to remain despite its, and
>>your, best efforts. Especially if you get cocky about how "dust free" the
>>Oly will stay.
>> I have an "L" shaped bit of dust that has so far resisted all attempts to
>>remove it, bulb, swipes, whatever.
>
> When the Olympus shakes the dust free... where does it go?

It wiggles off somewhere inside your camera only to come and pester you on a MORE critical
shot, of course! Heck, by the time your camera has vibrated away for a few thousand
shots, you've got an entire ARMY of dust in there, just waiting to jump back on your
sensor.

:)
Anonymous
February 23, 2005 12:49:45 PM

In article <uuuSd.103$Xk.5698@news.uswest.net>,
"Robert" <someone@somewhere.net> wrote:

> I have my Canon 20D and think its a great camera except for one difficulty.
> Wondering if anybody else has noticed that in outdoor shots with a lot of
> blue sky finding spots.
> I bought my camera from circuit city and the first one had over two dozen
> spots in the blue field.
> I returned the camera and had it replaced, this one has two spots that I
> have found and they are not small spots.
> It appears the problem only is noticeable with a lot of sky blue and not
> noticeable in a standard shot. These are not
> "SMALL" spots but very noticeable to me. The spots are an entirely different
> pattern on the new camera..
>
> Guess I will have to take primary color shots and check it out.
> Thanks

Are you sure these spots are not distant birds?
!