Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Upgrade CPU, Mobo, Memory and Backup

Last response: in CPUs
July 30, 2011 11:55:44 PM

Hello,
Recently, I plan to upgrade my CPU, Mobo, and Memory. My question is: do I need to reinstall my Windows 7 and wipe out all my data in my hard drive. I have three hard drives - one for application, two other for data (e.g. files, videos, and pictures)? If I do need to wipe out everything, please advise on what's the best way to backup and restore my data (both applications and data files) after the upgrade. Thanks.

Best solution

a c 127 à CPUs
a b } Memory
July 31, 2011 2:44:55 AM

It depends on the upgrade. If you have a AMD CPU with a AMD mobo and are going to a Intel CPU with a Intel mobo then yes. Windows wont accept the new chipset/CPU.

but you wont have to wipe the data drives. Just the Windows drive.

Your best bet to save the Windows installation easily is to make sure you upgrade to the same chipset and CPU vendor you have. So if you have a Intel CPU with a Intel chipset, get those in the new ones and Windows should accept the new parts and all you have to do is reinstall the drivers (chipset, sound etc).
August 2, 2011 1:19:22 AM

jimmysmitty said:
It depends on the upgrade. If you have a AMD CPU with a AMD mobo and are going to a Intel CPU with a Intel mobo then yes. Windows wont accept the new chipset/CPU.

but you wont have to wipe the data drives. Just the Windows drive.

Your best bet to save the Windows installation easily is to make sure you upgrade to the same chipset and CPU vendor you have. So if you have a Intel CPU with a Intel chipset, get those in the new ones and Windows should accept the new parts and all you have to do is reinstall the drivers (chipset, sound etc).

Thanks Jimmy. Actually I plan to upgrade from Pentium to Core i3 with a different motherboard (I think with different chipset). And also I'll upgrade my DDR2 ram 4GB to DDR3 ram 8GB. So, in this case, am I right to say that I have to wipe out my HDD (the one that stores Windows 7) and have a clean reinstall of Windows 7, but keep the other Hard Drives (with data files - e.g. word files, pictures, and videos)?
Score
Related resources
August 2, 2011 2:00:17 AM

You don't NEED to wipe your drive(s) but it is recommended if you are getting a new mobo. Although, if you just insert your Win 7 disc, you can do a "format" of types, but it will still keep all of your files (backed up in a folder called windows.old) That being said, if you do that you will have to most likely still re-install most programs do to registry entries and such. My suggestion is to first install the new parts, wipe off your old drivers first before you do this, then install new drivers. If this is unsuccessful then chose the other option of using your Win 7 disc. Hope this helps! -Jrwizbang
Score
August 12, 2011 12:54:10 AM

Best answer selected by calvin500.
Score
a b à CPUs
August 12, 2011 3:27:49 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!