Sign in with
Your question

Bios boot problem

Last response: in Motherboards
April 15, 2012 12:42:48 PM

Hello all I have a sony vaio pcv-v1/g which has an internal dvd drive that won't read any disks.when booting the bios won't even recognise it.I would like to boot from an external usb dvd but it is not an option in the boot menu in the bios-only boot from usb floppy.Is there a way (a Program)to boot from ext. floppy to make it look for an external usb dvd to boot with ubuntu?P'S' I have since found out that a slimline dvd-small ide will fit but when I bought one it and fitted it it was still not recognised Any suggestions poss a bios update sisoft sandra says it's Asus pizza m/board Failing that maybe a solder reflow.Thanks john

More about : bios boot problem

a c 156 V Motherboard
April 15, 2012 7:07:56 PM

IF you have a jump drive, you should be able to boot up ubuntu from that.
I'm actually suprised the computer won't accept a usb dvd... did you try or are you accepting the BIOS's word for it... I really think that should work, hmmm.
April 15, 2012 7:38:07 PM

C12Friedman said:
IF you have a jump drive, you should be able to boot up ubuntu from that.
I'm actually suprised the computer won't accept a usb dvd... did you try or are you accepting the BIOS's word for it... I really think that should work, hmmm.

Hi C12 Friedman yes did try it but there's just no option in the bios just hard drive-internal dvd/cd(that won't read or write any disks or even be detected in bios on startup)usb floppy (and tried that thinking it might be fooled thinking it was a usb floppy)and network and thats it no other options.I have a nework attatched storage(nas)device but don't know how to configure it.It says pxe-s1 no dhcp or proxy dhcp offers were recieved.I am just wondering if I canget a replacement internal dvd drive as it's not a standard drive more like a lap top.Thank you very much for your initial suggestions.Regards john
!