Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Help with PSU choice

Last response: in Components
Share
July 31, 2011 12:53:58 AM

Alright well Im building a new pc and need help in picking out the proper PSU to fit my case and work properly.
The case i have is this. http://www.xoxide.com/raidmax-typhoon-windmaxx-case.htm...

The specs I plan on having are

AMD Phenom II X6 1100t black edition six core processor
8gb Corsair XMS3 4 GB 1333MHz PC3-10666 240-pin DDR3 Memory Kit for Intel Core i3 i5 i7 and AMD CMX4GX3M1A1333C9
EVGA GeForceĀ® GTX 550 Ti FPB 1024 MB GDDR5 PCI-Express 2.0 Video Card, 01G-P3-1556-KR -
Asus M4A89GTD PRO/USB3 Socket AM3 AMD 890GX/SB850 6 SATA USB 3.0 ATX Motherboard

And the power supply I thought of getting was this, http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003UWNL2O/ref=ox_sc_a...

Now the question is, will this fit my comps case and is 600w enough for these specifications.

More about : psu choice

a b ) Power supply
July 31, 2011 1:03:25 AM

That power supply won't ever be able to output 600w hell I doubt it could even give 300w it would just go boom and take the rest of the computer with it

CORSAIR Builder Series CX430 V2 430W should be able to power your computer *Someone else can correct me if I am wrong tho*
m
0
l
July 31, 2011 1:07:06 AM

Randomacts said:
That power supply won't ever be able to output 600w hell I doubt it could even give 300w it would just go boom and take the rest of the computer with it

CORSAIR Builder Series CX430 V2 430W should be able to power your computer *Someone else can correct me if I am wrong tho*


430W is enough? Thing is with a six core cpu I thought id at least need 600w psu.
m
0
l
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
July 31, 2011 1:15:20 AM

550 ti is a low end GPU and the CPU only takes about 130w ..


You can wait for another response... but I will tell you this that raidmax would never run it..

m
0
l
July 31, 2011 1:30:42 AM

Randomacts said:
550 ti is a low end GPU and the CPU only takes about 130w ..


You can wait for another response... but I will tell you this that raidmax would never run it..


Well, I was originally going to get the XFX ATI Radeon HD6870 1 GB DDR5 GFX card. I want something that can perform well under $200 that would still work well with my selected psu. Since the hd6870 is a better card than the 550 ti id expect it to require a larger psu. Except im not sure how much more watts.
m
0
l
July 31, 2011 10:31:01 AM

i think your future pc deserves a better psu than that of your choice. that diablotek will cause problem to your hi end pc. with that specs you need atleast a branded 500w
that diablotek is not capable of producing true 600w.
i suggest get branded 600w or more, for future upgrades.
at least get something like this.

mid
http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Certified-Compatible-Plat...

http://www.amazon.com/Antec-Computer-Power-Supply-HCG-6...

http://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-V2-31-Supply-RS650-...

http://www.amazon.com/Thermaltake-W0388RU-Power-Supply-...

hi end
http://www.amazon.com/FSP-Everest-85PLUS-Certified-comp...

http://www.amazon.com/FSP-Certified-compatible-CrossFir...

http://www.amazon.com/Antec-Truepower-TP-750-BLUE-Manag...
m
0
l
a c 144 ) Power supply
July 31, 2011 12:35:26 PM

One of my systems has an OC'd Q9550, 4 GB RAM, a GTX260 - a card with similar power requirements to the 6870, a Gigabyte EP45-UD3P motherboard, 3 hard drives and an optical, and a Soundblaster card all powered by a Corsair TX750.

Running 3 instances of Prime95 to load the CPU and 3DMark06 to load the GPU, it pulls 375 watts from the wall as measured by my Kill-a-Watt meter. Figuring 80% efficiency, the system pulls 300 watts from the PSU.

I like to run my PSU's at about 50% of capacity, but you really do not that much power. A good 550 - 600 watt PSU is all you need.

The ThermalTake TR2's are excessively mediocre.

The CoolerMaster GX650 is CM's latest attempt to build a decent power supply, but they are not quite there yet.
http://www.hardocp.com/article/2010/11/22/cooler_master...

m
0
l
August 7, 2011 2:23:41 AM

oby20 said:
i think your future pc deserves a better psu than that of your choice. that diablotek will cause problem to your hi end pc. with that specs you need atleast a branded 500w
that diablotek is not capable of producing true 600w.
i suggest get branded 600w or more, for future upgrades.
at least get something like this.

mid
http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Certified-Compatible-Plat...

http://www.amazon.com/Antec-Computer-Power-Supply-HCG-6...

http://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-V2-31-Supply-RS650-...

http://www.amazon.com/Thermaltake-W0388RU-Power-Supply-...

hi end
http://www.amazon.com/FSP-Everest-85PLUS-Certified-comp...

http://www.amazon.com/FSP-Certified-compatible-CrossFir...

http://www.amazon.com/Antec-Truepower-TP-750-BLUE-Manag...


I see but will these fit in my case? Thats really what Im worried about. I dont want to buy one and it end up not being the right size. Or do most mid tower cases have the same space for a psu?
m
0
l
August 9, 2011 5:07:19 PM

Stealth112 said:
I see but will these fit in my case? Thats really what Im worried about. I dont want to buy one and it end up not being the right size. Or do most mid tower cases have the same space for a psu?


yes of course those psu will fit your case, most psu is designed for any case, only those slim cases will not fit that psus.
i have aerocool case its 200mm wide, its a mid tower case and i have an fsp everest psu and still my case is capable fitting a 120x120x25mm side fan with the psu installed.
m
0
l
!