Sign in with
Your question

New AMD First Time All Web Build

Last response: in Systems
May 3, 2011 4:07:15 AM

Hello all, this is my first time building a computer entirely from newegg. I need to make sure ive got everything i need and it's all compatible. I checked and double checked the mobo and Scythe Cooler with the dimensions of the case and i believe it should fit. I've already got a mouse to use, as I'm building a computer to play some better games than my laptop can handle when I'm at home. Here's the list:

http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=23482768

More about : amd time web build

May 3, 2011 5:21:28 AM

The HD 5850 is cheaper and better than that 6790. I think most would reccommend an i3 over the AMD 925, if you really want an AMD why not go with the 955 it has the unlocked multiplier for an easy overclock and you already have an aftermarket cooler in your budget. That seems like a good board but there are AM3+ compatible boards from most of the major manufactuers, this would open up future cpu upgrades.
m
l
May 3, 2011 5:28:05 AM
Related resources
May 3, 2011 5:39:22 AM

I wanted to stick with the AMD CPU and GPU because i hear there is more potential for overclocking there, which i intend to do after I replace the case fans (which i am certain will die in several weeks). I didn't want to go with a cheap PSU because i dont have time to RMA a cheapo PSU, so I figured id get a GPU that would make use of it. I added the 955 BE, the 21" Hann and the 5850. After some research on techpowerup, it seems that the OC potential of the 5850 is greater than the the 6790. Since im going to be waiting a few weeks to buy new case fans I can wait to buy the new cpu fan and heatsink as well. The only limitation i had was keeping it under $900.
m
l
May 3, 2011 6:02:38 AM

Antec is certainly not a cheapo company, that is a good reliable psu. It's also modular and yours is not. While the amd can clock higher, the new microarchitecture of intel is far superior for games. Even a i3 beats a x4 at 3.5ghz. The current x4 even when overclocked won't get the performance of an i5 in games. http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/289?vs=186 I'm not an intel fanboy but until bd comes out next month, amd has nothing to offer in a pc build over $400. You can wait a month til then if you'd like.
m
l
May 3, 2011 6:28:35 AM

The reason I'm going to go with AMD on this build is because Intel does not offer a quad core cpu for under $150. The benchmarks of the i5 against the 955 BE do not offer enough of a difference to me to warrant the extra $40. I don't really have a bias here, I've been using Intel CPUs for ten years without complaint, but AMD just offers more bang for the buck as of the time i will be buying these components. As for the PSU, will the antec 550 be able to support 3 case fans + Cpu fan + an OCd CPU and GPU? Ive borne witness to some horror stories and I dont want to skimp on the PSU.
m
l
May 3, 2011 3:30:00 PM

For gaming intel does have more bang for the buck.

i3-2100 > 955
UNLESS you're going to use apps that utilize the extra 2 cores. Most don't.

If you do stick with 955, it has a promocode today for $130.
m
l
May 3, 2011 3:35:45 PM

I use Blender and will be using Sony Vegas to edit FRAPS, so i think ill stick with the 955. Where is this promocode?
m
l
May 3, 2011 6:49:33 PM

The promo code came from newegg in an email promo, it is EMCKEKG22. It brings the price down to 129.99 with free shipping.
m
l
May 3, 2011 6:58:35 PM

Updated the list. Thanks for the help k, will be purchasing tomorrow so any last minute changes i should make?
m
l
May 3, 2011 9:32:57 PM

I wanted a decent quality keyboard that matched the width of my laptop keyboard that ive been gaming on for 3 years. I find that using a smaller keyboard lets me get to more keybindings and macros for WoW and Starcraft with one hand. Also when are the AM3+ CPUs going to be released?
m
l
May 3, 2011 10:08:29 PM

Supposedly June 7.
m
l
May 3, 2011 10:12:53 PM

AM3+ cpu's should be out sometime in june. It is anyones gues on price/performance though. You can check out the bulldozer rumors sticky for more info.
m
l
May 3, 2011 10:26:35 PM

Thats alot closer timeframe than i thought it would be. I guess it is the end of Q1 though i shouldve assumed major updates to components to be out soon. Ill go with the AM3+ mobo just in case the AM3+ cpus end up being cheaper and higher performance than Sandy Bridge. How do you think this mobo will do with OCing? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128490
m
l
May 4, 2011 3:18:24 AM

What all are you planing to overclock?

A reason to go with the Asrock over the Gigabyte is the Asrock is a full size board giving you some extra space between the cpu and the ram.
m
l
May 4, 2011 3:35:05 AM

I'm looking to overclock the CPU to 3.5 ghz and the gpu to 800/1200. I want to get a pair of case fans to fit into the side duct of my Rosewill Challenger and an aftermarket cooler for the cpu. I want to get a topdown cooler for the cpu because of its location in relation to the side duct of the case. I wanted to go with quality proven parts in this build, that is why I initially had the Corsair PSU and want to go with a Gigabyte mobo, which has only 1 AM3+ board on newegg at the moment.
m
l
May 4, 2011 3:54:21 AM

I think the gigabyte will do fine with your overclock so long as your cpu cooler will fit next to the ram. Since the 955 overclock is just a multiplier overclock it doesn't have a whole lot to do with the board and the gpu overclock is gonna have more to do with the card than the M/B.

Good luck with your build
m
l
May 4, 2011 4:02:25 AM

not to beat a dead horse, but you do realize that a stock phenom ii x4 970 is the SAME THING as a phenom 955 OC'd at 3.5ghz?

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-gaming-cpu-cor...

arctic silver 5 + cpu cooler (+shipping) + OC'd phenom 955 = $188
i5-2400 = $190

Im not trying to be a d-bag, you just said that you dont have a bias. If you enjoy overclocking, great, but lets not just spew incorrect cliches like
"AMD just offers more bang for the buck as of the time"
because its simply not true.

It becomes even more absurd when you factor in the added cost of an am3+ mobo for the purpose of a future cpu upgrade.

Now you have spent a total of $293 for cpu, cooler, and mobo compared to the several $260 i5-2400+mobo combos available (which will also allow for a cpu upgrade).
Now if you consider the above benchmarks, and the several $195 i3+mobo combos available, you really get to see AMD's embarrasing lack of bang for a whopping $293 bucks.
m
l
May 4, 2011 4:02:30 AM

I'll know the space requirements for sure once I get everything assembled but from looking at the board and the cooler I'm looking to buy (Scythe Samurai ZZ) it should clear the closest of the two RAM slots i will be using. Thanks for everyones help, i'll be through the newegg checkout momentarily and i'll update this thread with how it goes.
m
l
May 4, 2011 4:07:55 AM

hieros said:
The reason I'm going to go with AMD on this build is because Intel does not offer a quad core cpu for under $150. The benchmarks of the i5 against the 955 BE do not offer enough of a difference to me to warrant the extra $40. I don't really have a bias here, I've been using Intel CPUs for ten years without complaint, but AMD just offers more bang for the buck as of the time i will be buying these components. As for the PSU, will the antec 550 be able to support 3 case fans + Cpu fan + an OCd CPU and GPU? Ive borne witness to some horror stories and I dont want to skimp on the PSU.

It seems that way until you examine actual gaming benchmarks revealing that i3/i5 processors routinely outframe X4/X6 systems clocked 600-900 MHz faster....; the best analogy is akin to thinking the older socket 478 Pentium 4s are faster/'better bang for the buck' than Core2Duos because of the P4's higher core clockspeed....
m
l
May 4, 2011 4:13:39 AM

genghiskron said:
not to beat a dead horse, but you do realize that a stock phenom ii x4 970 is the SAME THING as a phenom 955 OC'd at 3.5ghz?

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-gaming-cpu-cor...

arctic silver 5 + cpu cooler (+shipping) + OC'd phenom 955 = $188
i5-2400 = $190

Im not trying to be a d-bag, you just said that you dont have a bias. If you enjoy overclocking, great, but lets not just spew incorrect cliches like
"AMD just offers more bang for the buck as of the time"
because its simply not true.

It becomes even more absurd when you factor in the added cost of an am3+ cpu for the purpose of a future cpu upgrade.

Now you have spent a total of $293 for cpu, cooler, and mobo compared to the several $260 i5-2400+mobo combos available (which will also allow for a cpu upgrade).
Now if you consider the above benchmarks, and the several $195 i3+mobo combos available, you really get to see AMD's embarrasing lack of bang for a whopping $293 bucks.

As I said I want the quad core CPU for its superior Video Editing performance, but looking at this does give me some perspective. So you've halted me at the checkout line. I have read numerous reviews of CPU coolers that lament the hassle of applying an aftermarket cooler to the 1155 socket. I'm worried about heat as the room this computer will be sitting in year round hits nearly 100 degrees in midday summer, and I've had to replace 2 laptops that burnt out the GPU/CPU because of temperatures. I know that's apples and oranges but I do not want to have to buy another mobo/cpu in addition to the downtime I'll be waiting for those parts.
m
l
May 4, 2011 4:56:22 AM

So after looking around a bit more, it seems that it is cheaper to get an i3 combo + an aftermarket cooler and just pray to god i dont break something while installing it. What aftermarket coolers would be the best option for a slight to moderate overclock for an i3 besides the CM212?
m
l
May 4, 2011 5:05:10 AM

I have read that the i3 has very limited overclocking potential. You might want to look into this if overclocking is a must. I am not saying that it's not better than the phenom II x4 because I think it is better.
m
l
May 4, 2011 5:22:56 AM

Installing a heatsink on 1155 is the same as any other socket.
m
l
May 4, 2011 5:57:17 AM

Also after looking at that motherboard I can only find 1 fan power slot on it. How would I remedy this as there are 2 case fans (not sure if they are pwm or not)
m
l
May 4, 2011 6:19:08 AM

Most fans can be connected to either the M/B through three pin or directly to the PSU via 4pin molex. You lose the option to control the speed when they are plugged into the PSU, unless you purchase an aftermarket fan controller. Some fans also come with a speed switch on them as well so when you connect directly to the PSU you can still have several options for fan speed.

Update: I just checked on this and the Antec 300 case fans come with a three speed switch.
Link: http://www.antec.com/Believe_it/product.php?id=MjQ=

m
l
!