New Build Not Booting Up

Hughes11

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2010
Just built a computer and set it up to find that it isn't booting up. It turns on and everything seems to be running perfect, but the screen isn't getting anything. The led light on my case is red if that means anything. This is my first build and really have no idea how to go about troubleshooting a problem like this.

My computer:
Biostar A880G+ Micro ATX Mobo
AMD Athlon II x4 640
ATI Radeon HD 5770
StealthXstream II 500w psu
2x2 hyperx blu kingston 1600 ram

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I would like to get this thing up and running.

Solution
Where is your monitor hooked up to? The mobo or the graphics card? What beeps do you hear when you turn it on? Is your graphics card hooked up with a PCIe cord? Is your motherboard connected with the 4 pin and 24pin power connections? That should be a good start hehe.

crewton

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2011
Where is your monitor hooked up to? The mobo or the graphics card? What beeps do you hear when you turn it on? Is your graphics card hooked up with a PCIe cord? Is your motherboard connected with the 4 pin and 24pin power connections? That should be a good start hehe.

Solution

Hughes11

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2010
My monitor is hooked up to the onboard graphics card. I don't hear any beeps. My mobo is connected with the 4 pin and a 20 pin I believe. There seems to be an extra 4 pins hanging off, but I can't seem to get them to fit.

crewton

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2011
That extra 4 pin is for motherboards with an 8pin slot, yours only uses the 4. Take your ram out and then put it back in firmly. With no beeps I believe your ram might be in but not in all the way. Easy way is to open the 2 latches and when you put the ram in, the latches will latch on their own to the top and bottom of the stick.

Also connect your monitor to your graphics card.