Problem with 8800GT

Delfonic12

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2011
Alright, so I've just recently upgraded my system, sans video card. I've had various problems involving memory with my old mobo, so I bought a new mobo, memory and cpu. I bought the 8800GT probably about three years ago and some change and it has worked well for the most part. I bought my new stuff about three months ago, but have only been running it for about two.

Anyway, I booted up GTA IV and some artifacts (I think that's what they were; green, half-inch, horizontal lines appearing across the screen) and then froze. I thought it was just a freak lock-up, but I after rebooting and loading up the game again, it did it again. I then rebooted again, and this time it gave some funky graphical glitches in Windows (Windows 7 64-bit).

I thought it may have been my memory again, so I took out one stick ( I have two two GB sticks) and it still did it (this wasn't the case back with my first problems). So I eventually took out the card and used my mobo's (GIGABYTE GA-H55-USB3) onboard video. No graphical glitches, nothing.

Would this just be that the card is on its death-bed, or are there fixes for this? I consider myself to be slightly smarter than your average person when it comes to computer-related stuff, but that's not really saying much.

Thanks in advance

Steve