SYX Ascent MPC-10 Multimedia PC or Gateway DX4850-57 PT.GBL02.022 Desktop PC

Korgie

Distinguished
May 3, 2011
Hello all!
I am going to be upgrading my prebuilt Hp a830n and im deciding between the two listed prebuits.
I am trying to get the most for my money. I will be using the computer mainly for gaming. The gfx card on the prebuilt doesnt matter to me as I will be installing my 9800gt into it. Which prebuilt does the tom's community suggest i buy? If both are not reccomended then can you provide another prebuilt?
Here are the links to tigerdirect regarding the 2 listed

SYX: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=411715&Sku=SYX-1079

Gateway: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=19568&CatId=1886

ps, the SYX comes with a free game :eek:

Wolfshadw

Titan
Sorry, but if the intent is to immediately install your old graphics card, I can't recommend either system you listed (or any prebuilt system without a gaming class graphics card). The Gateway system only has a 300 watt power supply (no where near enough for your 9800GT). The SYX system does not list it's power supply specifications, so there is no way of knowing. More than likely, in either system, you'd also need to swap out the power supply as well.

This may lead to other issues. Does your current power supply have enough power connectors for the new system's components? Are you willing to wait until you can find any adapters you may need or just buy a new power supply that does meet the new system's requirements?

If you really want a new prebuilt system, then get a new system that doesn't require any upgrades off the bat. Buy a new system that already has a gaming class graphics card installed.

-Wolf sends

Korgie

Distinguished
May 3, 2011
My hp has a 300w psu and I am using the 9800gt. It doesnt seem like theres any problems. Can you tell me what the common signs of power shortage are? Maybe i havent noticed it. Im really leaning towards the SYX right now, do you think its a good deal?

Wolfshadw

Titan
My hp has a 300w psu and I am using the 9800gt. It doesnt seem like theres any problems.
This surprises me, but ok.

Can you tell me what the common signs of power shortage are?
Generally, freezing in games, sudden reboots/shutdowns, or graphic card error messages.

Im really leaning towards the SYX right now, do you think its a good deal?

No, I don't think it's a good deal. I'm a system builder and I'd much rather know what components are going into my system rather than rely on the reputation of an unknown company (never heard of SYX). If I were to purchase a pre-built system, I'd want to know that it could handle anything I threw at it out of the box, rather than attempting to make it do so after the fact.

If you're really not into system building, that's ok (it's really not that hard), but I just won't condone trying to make a pre-built system something that it was not designed to be. If you'd be willing to try building your own system then I came up with a build that uses the same components as the SYX system for $840.53 shipped.

Case: Antec Three Hundred
Power Supply: Corsair Enthusiast 650Watt
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-P67A
CPU: Intel CoreI7 2600K
Memory G.Skill 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3-1333 RAM
Hard Drive: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB drive
Optical Drive: Lite-On DVD Writer
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 SP1 Home Premium 64-bit

Add your NVidia 9800GT to this and you're sure of no compatibility issues. This system build would run any single card graphics solution without issue. Also, if you can reuse your hard drive and optical drive (assuming they are SATA drives), your could save $100 on this cost.

Again, if you're dead set on buying a pre-built system, then I'd recommend going with a system that includes a gaming class graphics card.

-Wolf sends