July 31, 2011 8:43:00 AM

Hello,
how do i format a read only disk?

More about : format read disk

July 31, 2011 10:21:24 AM

simanta said:
Hello,
how do i format a read only disk?

I have not done it since DOS days, but I think you have to reset the flag which marks it as read only.
I am not sure which program will work, but try using Gparted, partmagic or partition magic.
An alternative may be to do a "Low level format"
There may be tools on something like Hirens or Ultimate boot CD too.
JB
m
l
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
July 31, 2011 10:39:18 AM

You cannot format a read only disk, thats the whole point of it being read only. What type of disk are you trying to format? for example floppy disks can be made writable by moving a tab, where as a CD/DVD if read only cannot be changed.
m
l
July 31, 2011 12:15:14 PM

Is this like using a WOM - Write Only Memory?

If the disk is based on conventional magnetic media, you will need to reset the "Read Only" flag.
m
l
August 9, 2011 8:50:52 AM

actually its a pen drive. it was running properly.. i dnt know wat hapnd bt nw whnevr i insrt it shows a msg s u need to formate the disk...bt windows cnt prform the task..says the disk is read only....sm1 hlp me plzzzzzzzzz........
m
l
August 9, 2011 12:49:41 PM

I have had to do that a few times lately.
I used Gparted, you will find that there is no partition there, it's been lost
I created a new partition, then formated it (To ext2 in my case) and changed the flags to make it bootable.
If you have never used gparted before, you need to go to edit then apply. after you have finished to save the details.
JB
m
l
January 11, 2013 11:47:43 AM

simanta said:
actually its a pen drive. it was running properly.. i dnt know wat hapnd bt nw whnevr i insrt it shows a msg s u need to formate the disk...bt windows cnt prform the task..says the disk is read only....sm1 hlp me plzzzzzzzzz........

m
l
!