Thunder strikes in my onboard lan

marcelcore

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2011
I have big problem. Fact: Thunder strikes in my lan cable and makes my onboard Intel Gigabit (DX48BT2 MB) unable to detect cable. I checked cable link with other computer and it's working just fine.
The thing is.. I stopped finding a solution to make the onboard LAN work, so I used a PCI lan card, a working Realtek 100mbs, but it does the same thing. I even reinstalled windows .. thinking like a hardware amateur that windows registry or something in lan drivers got messed up after the thunderstrike.

My question is ... a PCI Lan card uses some of the onboard Lan's physical hardware (which in my case are probably fried up) ? I can't see any other explanation.

Further step by step details of what my brain did. Installed windows with the onboard Lan enabled from Bios. Checked if it detects cable and it failed properly. Turned off computer and inserted the 100Mbps Realtek. Disabled the onboard from Bios.
In windows Realtek installs succesfully.. it detects the damn cable and says that I have limited connection. So I start to cheer up and change the Local Administered Adress (i have DHCP internet connection) with the LAA of the onboard Lan. After this change, the realtek connection dissapears completely from Network Connections and Device Manager says to me that the Realtek device cannot start properly. I restarted Windows and now the computer freezes when detecting lan connection.

Any ideas ? .. 'cause mine are about throwing this chunk of metal and silicon through my physical windows.

I thank for you patience !

So I start to cheer up and change the Local Administered Adress (i have DHCP internet connection) with the LAA of the onboard Lan.
Can you explain why you did that? Are you sure that your router or whatever device your PC is connected to works properly? If thunder stroke your LAN cable, then devices at both ends should be defective.

marcelcore

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2011
The router connected to the other end of the cable has been replaced because, as you said, was defective.
I changed the Local Administered Adress so I can connect to the internet with the PCI Lan card.
My ISP provides me this service by identifying my LAN card through my Local Administered Adress or mac adress as some people calls it. I used my fried onboard LAA (00-1C-XX-XX-XX) to change the original LAA of the PCI card. I used this technique a lot of times .. when I had laptops in my house that needed access to internet.
But I believe you know what I'm talking about.. so I won't give anymore details because I don't want to offend your intelligence somehow .. if there's the case. :)

The thing is. The cable is not defective..the router works just fine, everything works alright on my friends laptop when I change his Lan Card mac adress with my fried onboard mac adress. It should've work on my rig too. I tried the 3rd PCI LAN card on my rig an hour ago. Still the same results. LAN connection disappears after I change MAC adress and after restart computer freezes when trying to negociate connection.
How much bad luck ? Three defective PCI Lan cards ? Two of them should work for sure. So it's not the case.

I obviously understand what an LAA is, but I never needed to set one up. Whenever you changed it on other systems, it couldn't conflict with the onboard one. I'm not saying this definitely is the issue, but it's easy to determine. If you don't change the LAA on the PCI card, can you connect to another system? Can't your ISP provider reconfigure the router to accept the MAC address of the new PCI card? As a test, have you tried changing the onboard LAA to something else to avoid conflicts?