Pentax *istD S

Last response: in Digital Camera
February 22, 2005 6:26:01 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

DpReview or any of the major sites have not reviewed this camera. Is
it as good as the other entry level DSLR's? How does it handle high
ISO's? Any owner's testimonials I would love to hear. Thanks.

Tom K

More about : pentax istd

Anonymous
February 22, 2005 6:26:02 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

> Tom K <Tom@example.com.invalid> wrote:

> DpReview or any of the major sites have not
> reviewed this camera.

Not strictly true.
Phil has a preview:
<http://www.dpreview.com/articles/pentaxistds/&gt;
Steve's has a final:
<http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_reviews/istds.html&...;
DCviews has a something:
<http://www.dcviews.com/reviews/Pentax-istDs/Pentax-istD...;
There are likely more.

I haven't been following Pentax, but the 'DS appears
to be shipping already (B&H has 'em).

When a camera ships before ANY final reviews are ready,
that's a red flag, as the Sony DSC-F828 roll-out
reminded us just over a year ago. No red here.

In this case, it could just be a case of high
workload at dpr. If I were considering a Pentax, I'd
consider it just mildly troubling, and I'd wait until
Phil had a final. A final may be in work, but I doubt
it will be published before the PMA smoke clears.

February 22, 2005 6:26:02 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

Tom K <Tom@example.com.invalid> wrote:

> DpReview or any of the major sites have not reviewed this camera. Is
> it as good as the other entry level DSLR's? How does it handle high
> ISO's? Any owner's testimonials I would love to hear. Thanks.

I can't compare mine to other 'entry level' DSLRs, since it's the only
one I've got. What, specifically, is your worry about high ISOs? It has
settings from ISO 200 to 3200. Pictures get grainier at higher settings,
what can I say? :-)

My favorite review is this one:
<http://www.luminous-landscape.com/columns/sm-jan-05.sht...; OK, it's not
so much a review as an essay, but it's worth reading.
Related resources
February 22, 2005 6:26:03 AM

"Bob Niland" <email4rjn@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:o psmkypbjtft8z8r@news.individual.net...
> > Tom K <Tom@example.com.invalid> wrote:
>
> > DpReview or any of the major sites have not
> > reviewed this camera.
>
> Not strictly true.
> Phil has a preview:
> <http://www.dpreview.com/articles/pentaxistds/&gt;
> Steve's has a final:
> <http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_reviews/istds.html&...;
> DCviews has a something:
> <http://www.dcviews.com/reviews/Pentax-istDs/Pentax-istD...;
> There are likely more.
>
> I haven't been following Pentax, but the 'DS appears
> to be shipping already (B&H has 'em).

I've been selling *ist DS cameras since the end of November 2004.
February 22, 2005 10:31:57 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

Hi Tom,

I've had my DS for a couple weeks now. I haven't found anything I'm unhappy
with. What sold me was the brighter prism view that accommodates eyeglasses,
the 2 inch LCD viewer, and the large status screen on top. Definitely the
better choice for us older folk ;-). Ergonomics are great.

One minor annoyance IMHO is the auto shutoff. After the preset time elapses
and the DS shuts down, you must power off and on to return to operating
mode. My previous Oly would come to life when any control was touched. Not a
show stopper.

BobS

"Tom K" <Tom@example.com.invalid> wrote in message

> DpReview or any of the major sites have not reviewed this camera. Is
> it as good as the other entry level DSLR's? How does it handle high
> ISO's? Any owner's testimonials I would love to hear. Thanks.
>
> Tom K
Anonymous
February 22, 2005 10:33:32 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

In article <Xns9604E4690252C7@130.133.1.4>,
Tom K <Tom@example.com.invalid> wrote:

>DpReview or any of the major sites have not reviewed this camera. Is
>it as good as the other entry level DSLR's? How does it handle high
>ISO's? Any owner's testimonials I would love to hear. Thanks.

Pretty much the same as the *ist-D, as far as image quality goes.
The defaults for in-camera settings may have been tweaked somewhat,
and there's a new "vivid" tone setting, but apart from that it's
just a *ist-D with some ergonomic differences (and simpler controls).
Anonymous
February 22, 2005 10:48:21 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

"Tom K" <Tom@example.com.invalid> wrote in message

> DpReview or any of the major sites have not reviewed this camera. Is
> it as good as the other entry level DSLR's? How does it handle high
> ISO's? Any owner's testimonials I would love to hear. Thanks.
>
> Tom K

Plenty of reviews out there. Great camera, I am really enjoying mine.

One of the best kept secrets about this camera is that it is easy to use,
has features and build quality that others dream about and produces suberb
results. High ISO noise about the same as the Nikon D70, 1600 is very
useable.
Anonymous
February 22, 2005 5:23:44 PM

BobS <sturdevr@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hi Tom,
>
> I've had my DS for a couple weeks now. I haven't found anything I'm
> unhappy with. What sold me was the brighter prism view that accommodates
> eyeglasses, the 2 inch LCD viewer, and the large status screen on top.
> Definitely the better choice for us older folk ;-). Ergonomics are great.
>
> One minor annoyance IMHO is the auto shutoff. After the preset time
> elapses and the DS shuts down, you must power off and on to return to
> operating mode. My previous Oly would come to life when any control was
> touched. Not a show stopper.

You can turn it back on by pressing the shutter trigger (half way), or
by using DoF preview. There's also a custom setting to change the delay
for shutoff to three minutes.
Anonymous
February 22, 2005 6:43:15 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

> "Tom K" <Tom@example.com.invalid> wrote in message
> >
> > DpReview or any of the major sites have not reviewed this camera. Is
> > it as good as the other entry level DSLR's? How does it handle high
> > ISO's? Any owner's testimonials I would love to hear. Thanks.

Two minor complaints, based on comparing my wife's *istDS to my E-1:
- quite disturbing shutter/mirror noise. I wouldn't like to use this
camera in a quiet theater setting (and I'm doing a lot of that work).
- small viewing angle on LCD, with strange "reversal" effects at wider
viewing angles.

Ton
Anonymous
February 22, 2005 8:07:04 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

In article <OIydnTVbz8D1u4bfRVn-iQ@sysmatrix.net>,
BobS <sturdevr@yahoo.com> wrote:
>Hi Tom,
>
>I've had my DS for a couple weeks now. I haven't found anything I'm unhappy
>with. What sold me was the brighter prism view that accommodates eyeglasses,
>the 2 inch LCD viewer, and the large status screen on top. Definitely the
>better choice for us older folk ;-). Ergonomics are great.
>
>One minor annoyance IMHO is the auto shutoff. After the preset time elapses
>and the DS shuts down, you must power off and on to return to operating
>mode. My previous Oly would come to life when any control was touched. Not a
>show stopper.

Try half-depressing the shutter. That definitely works on a D.
Anonymous
February 22, 2005 8:13:20 PM

"Pete D" <no@email.com> wrote:
> "Tom K" <Tom@example.com.invalid> wrote:
> > DpReview or any of the major sites have not reviewed this camera. Is
> > it as good as the other entry level DSLR's? How does it handle high
> > ISO's? Any owner's testimonials I would love to hear. Thanks.
> >
> > Tom K
>
> Plenty of reviews out there. Great camera, I am really enjoying mine.
>
> One of the best kept secrets about this camera is that it is easy to use,
> has features and build quality that others dream about and produces suberb
> results. High ISO noise about the same as the Nikon D70, 1600 is very
> useable.

Also, Pentax has some interesting lenses no one else does: a 14/2.8 for
APS-C, an excellent 24/2.0, etc. etc. as well as all the third party lenses.

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan
Anonymous
February 22, 2005 8:13:21 PM

"David J. Littleboy" <davidjl@gol.com> wrote in message

> "Pete D" <no@email.com> wrote:
>> "Tom K" <Tom@example.com.invalid> wrote:
>> > DpReview or any of the major sites have not reviewed this camera. Is
>> > it as good as the other entry level DSLR's? How does it handle high
>> > ISO's? Any owner's testimonials I would love to hear. Thanks.
>> >
>> > Tom K
>>
>> Plenty of reviews out there. Great camera, I am really enjoying mine.
>>
>> One of the best kept secrets about this camera is that it is easy to use,
>> has features and build quality that others dream about and produces
>> suberb
>> results. High ISO noise about the same as the Nikon D70, 1600 is very
>> useable.
>
> Also, Pentax has some interesting lenses no one else does: a 14/2.8 for
> APS-C, an excellent 24/2.0, etc. etc. as well as all the third party
> lenses.
>
> David J. Littleboy
> Tokyo, Japan

Just bought a 25 year old 50mm F2.0 for $6. Manual focus but as clear and
sharp as anything made today for $200.
Anonymous
February 22, 2005 9:23:59 PM

"John Francis" <johnf@panix.com> wrote in message
> In article <OIydnTVbz8D1u4bfRVn-iQ@sysmatrix.net>,
> BobS <sturdevr@yahoo.com> wrote:
<snip>
>>One minor annoyance IMHO is the auto shutoff. After the preset time
>>elapses
>>and the DS shuts down, you must power off and on to return to operating
>>mode. My previous Oly would come to life when any control was touched. Not
>>show stopper.
>
> Try half-depressing the shutter. That definitely works on a D.

Yup, ditto on DS

Deep.
Anonymous
February 23, 2005 3:09:30 AM

In article <cveqbu$33m$1@nnrp.gol.com>, davidjl@gol.com says...
> Also, Pentax has some interesting lenses no one else does: a 14/2.8 for
> APS-C, an excellent 24/2.0, etc. etc. as well as all the third party lenses.
>
> David J. Littleboy
> Tokyo, Japan

What about that pancake 40mm lens? It looks so cute!
--
http://www.pbase.com/bcbaird/
February 23, 2005 10:03:07 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

Sheesh...do I feel dumb. I guess I pushed all the wrong buttons. A tap on
the shutter release does the job.
Thanks to all...I learn something new every day on this NG ;-)

BobS

"BobS" <sturdevr@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:o IydnTVbz8D1u4bfRVn-iQ@sysmatrix.net...
> Hi Tom,
>
> I've had my DS for a couple weeks now. I haven't found anything I'm
unhappy
> with. What sold me was the brighter prism view that accommodates
eyeglasses,
> the 2 inch LCD viewer, and the large status screen on top. Definitely the
> better choice for us older folk ;-). Ergonomics are great.
>
> One minor annoyance IMHO is the auto shutoff. After the preset time
elapses
> and the DS shuts down, you must power off and on to return to operating
> mode. My previous Oly would come to life when any control was touched. Not
> show stopper.
>
> BobS
>

> "Tom K" <Tom@example.com.invalid> wrote in message
> >
> > DpReview or any of the major sites have not reviewed this camera. Is
> > it as good as the other entry level DSLR's? How does it handle high
> > ISO's? Any owner's testimonials I would love to hear. Thanks.
> >
> > Tom K

Anonymous
February 24, 2005 2:27:58 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

Being an afficiado of Pentax (and believing they are always underated), but
not an owner of a DS I thought I'd put my biased view across having handled
one and looked at the results of a friends...
1. It's very small and comfy to hold
2. Well built with metal sub-frame
3. Good controls (as always on pentax)
4. Good picture quality - seems to suffer virtually no fringing nor
sharpening artefacts. I still notice the noise-reduction though, but
haven't yet seen a camera that doesn't show this. I haven't directly
compared this against other cameras (e.g. D70), but if it's as good as the
*istD, then there isn't a better 6MP camera (I'm not saying it's better than
10D or D70, but on par - and with the D, the photos all need sharpening to
bring out the details).

Duncan.

"Tom K" <Tom@example.com.invalid> wrote in message

> DpReview or any of the major sites have not reviewed this camera. Is
> it as good as the other entry level DSLR's? How does it handle high
> ISO's? Any owner's testimonials I would love to hear. Thanks.
>
> Tom K
Anonymous
February 24, 2005 10:54:54 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

"Tom K" <Tom@example.com.invalid> wrote in message

> DpReview or any of the major sites have not reviewed this camera. Is

> it as good as the other entry level DSLR's? How does it handle high
> ISO's? Any owner's testimonials I would love to hear. Thanks.

Issues:

-AA batteries only (many people may like this, I dislike the short
shelf-life and smaller power/density ratio)

-Limited lens selection, though it's only an issue for wide-angle zooms
that compensate for the crop factor), and Pentax is likely to fix this
soon. For now, there is the poorly reviewed Sigma 12-24mm f/4.5-5.6 EX,
and there will be another Sigma soon (10mm-20mm I believe).

-No Compact Flash storage (the only D-SLR in any segment that doesn't
take CF memory, an annoyance foisted on users by Pentax trying to not
have the *istDs intrude on the *istD space)

-No continuous auto-focus

-No vertical grip available

-Too much noise once you get over ISO 400 (compared to some similarly
priced competitors).

Still, it's a good choice if you have existing compatible Pentax
lenses, and a very good deal at less than $750.

IMVAIO, the Canon EOS-350D and Nikon D70 are superior choices in the
same price range, and are more "consumer" level, than the entry level
*istDs. If you don't own existing Pentax lenses, you'd be better off
spending the estimated $900 on the EOS-350D or the $800 on the Nikon
D70.

As to high ISO, the EOS-350D is the best sub-$1000 D-SLR in terms of
low noise at higher ISO settings, with 800 being extremely low noise,
and 1600 still being quite usable. On the *istDs and D70, when you get
over 400 you'll have a lot more noise than what you'd see on the
EOS-350D. Canon has done amazing things with noise reduction on their
CMOS sensors--Sony lags way behind, in terms of noise at higher ISOs,
on their CCD sensors.

Steve
http://digitalslrinfo.com/
Anonymous
February 25, 2005 6:15:04 AM

Duncan J Murray wrote:

> and with the D, the photos all need sharpening to
> bring out the details).

Which is a good thing. As far as I know, any oversharpening in the camera is
bad. Some have said that sharpness and resolution are sometimes confused as
being the same thing, when they are not. I love my *ist-d. Excuse me while I go
fondle that f 1.4 Takumar hanging off the front of it...

mike
February 25, 2005 9:06:33 AM

On 24 Feb 2005 19:54:54 -0800, scharf.steven@gmail.com wrote:

>"Tom K" <Tom@example.com.invalid> wrote in message
>>
>> DpReview or any of the major sites have not reviewed this camera. Is
>
>> it as good as the other entry level DSLR's? How does it handle high
>> ISO's? Any owner's testimonials I would love to hear. Thanks.
>
>Issues:
>
>-AA batteries only (many people may like this, I dislike the short
>shelf-life and smaller power/density ratio)

Not really... uses CR-3V (recommended), AA Ni-MH, AA lithium and AA
alkaline (emergency only). Major reduction in capacity as you go down
the list from CR-3V.

I have not had the opportunity to compare actual usage with other
cameras but I am very happy with mine. BTW, there is a firmware
upgrade to improve noise issues.

Glenn
February 25, 2005 10:24:11 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

Steve, IMHO and in all fairness, I don't feel your comments present a true
picture:

> Issues:
>
> -AA batteries only (many people may like this, I dislike the short
> shelf-life and smaller power/density ratio)

AA and CR-V3. Alkaline are limited capacity like any other camera but a
single charge on NiMh is good for 100-300 shots. This is not a real
limitation. Many cameras use only AA.

> -Limited lens selection, though it's only an issue for wide-angle zooms
> that compensate for the crop factor), and Pentax is likely to fix this
> soon. For now, there is the poorly reviewed Sigma 12-24mm f/4.5-5.6 EX,
> and there will be another Sigma soon (10mm-20mm I believe).

True, fewer lenses available than for Nikon/Canon however cost is less and
some very good glass is available at a reasonable price.

> -No Compact Flash storage (the only D-SLR in any segment that doesn't
> take CF memory, an annoyance foisted on users by Pentax trying to not
> have the *istDs intrude on the *istD space)

SD works as well as CF and price is comparable. Where is the issue?

> -No continuous auto-focus

Continuous autofocus is available in one mode (can't remember the name).

> -No vertical grip available

Not used by many. If this is an issue, try a Nikon/Canon.

> -Too much noise once you get over ISO 400 (compared to some similarly
> priced competitors).

True enough but probably not a real issue in this segment. Bigger bucks buys
better specs.

> Still, it's a good choice if you have existing compatible Pentax
> lenses, and a very good deal at less than $750.

On this we agree.

> IMVAIO, the Canon EOS-350D and Nikon D70 are superior choices in the
> same price range, and are more "consumer" level, than the entry level
> *istDs. If you don't own existing Pentax lenses, you'd be better off
> spending the estimated $900 on the EOS-350D or the $800 on the Nikon
> D70.

While investment in these bodies is only a few hundred more, added
investment in more costly glass can add considerably more. Know use and
requirements before buying into any _system_.

> As to high ISO, the EOS-350D is the best sub-$1000 D-SLR in terms of
> low noise at higher ISO settings, with 800 being extremely low noise,
> and 1600 still being quite usable. On the *istDs and D70, when you get
> over 400 you'll have a lot more noise than what you'd see on the
> EOS-350D. Canon has done amazing things with noise reduction on their
> CMOS sensors--Sony lags way behind, in terms of noise at higher ISOs,
> on their CCD sensors.

Probably true since the 350 represents another generation.

Steve, you forgot to mention the true prism brighter viewfinder, larger
eyepiece (great for eyeglasses), larger LCD viewer, larger settings display,
easy manual operation, and more.

BobS
February 25, 2005 12:56:00 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

I purchased a Pentax *isDS as my first DSLR camera after humming and
hawing over the D70.

I was sold on AA power source, ergonomics, uncomplicated menu system,
large bright viewfinder and light weight.

Technically it might not match the new Canons but once I had it in my
hand, it "just felt right".

The nikon was like a brick in comparison, and I quite like SD cards as
there are no pins to bend inside the camera when slotting it in.

However, I notice that the pictures come out a wee bit dark, and I'm
unsure how to perform the firmware upgrade as the downloaded file has a
README in japanese.

Any clue appreciated from others who have tamed the *isDS ...

P.
Anonymous
February 25, 2005 4:13:43 PM

news:D 5CdnV9D7O2EhILfRVn-qA@sysmatrix.net...
> Steve, IMHO and in all fairness, I don't feel your comments present a
true
> picture:
>
> > Issues:
> >
> > -AA batteries only (many people may like this, I dislike the short
> > shelf-life and smaller power/density ratio)
>
> AA and CR-V3. Alkaline are limited capacity like any other camera but
> single charge on NiMh is good for 100-300 shots. This is not a real
> limitation. Many cameras use only AA.

Very few D-SLRs are limited to AA or CR-V3. The issue with NiMH
batteries is that they have a terrible shelf life. I want to know that
I can grab my camera after two weeks of non-use, and still have close
to a full charge. Just like with my film SLR, with a lithium battery
that has a five year shelf life. The RCRV-3 Li-Ion batteries are a
solution, though they are more expensive than proprietary Li-Ion packs.

> > -Limited lens selection, though it's only an issue for wide-angle
zooms
> > that compensate for the crop factor), and Pentax is likely to fix
this
> > soon. For now, there is the poorly reviewed Sigma 12-24mm f/4.5-5.6
EX,
> > and there will be another Sigma soon (10mm-20mm I believe).
>
> True, fewer lenses available than for Nikon/Canon however cost is
less and
> some very good glass is available at a reasonable price.

The issue here is that if you want a true wide-angle zoom, and many
people do, it's something to check prior to selecting a body. It isn't
an issue just with Pentax. Nikon also doesn't have anything like
Canon's EF-S 10-22. I would hate to be limited to Sigma glass. Again,
Pentax is likely to come out with something soon in this focal length
range, but it has not yet been announced.

> > -No Compact Flash storage (the only D-SLR in any segment that
doesn't
> > take CF memory, an annoyance foisted on users by Pentax trying to
not
> > have the *istDs intrude on the *istD space)
>
> SD works as well as CF and price is comparable. Where is the issue?

If you're shooting in raw mode, you often want very large memory cards.
The first 2GB SD card was just announced, and isn't yet available. With
CF you can get 6GB with a $300 Microdrive, and 4GB Flash cards are
already on the market. At least one review of the *istDs noted much
better results in RAW mode.

> > -No continuous auto-focus
>
> Continuous autofocus is available in one mode (can't remember the
name).

> > -No vertical grip available
>
> Not used by many. If this is an issue, try a Nikon/Canon.

In the entry level this is true, a little higher up and it's a very
popular option. There are endless complaints in the Nikon forum about
the lack of a vertical grip for the D70, and one company is actually
doing an after-market grip that uses cables for power and shutter
release, since there is no connector on the D70. The *istD has a
vertical grip available. Again, it's Pentax decontenting the *istDs to
get the cost down and to not compete against the *istD. But other
sub-$1000 models do have available grips, so decontenting to protect
your other products tends to not work.

> > -Too much noise once you get over ISO 400 (compared to some
similarly
> > priced competitors).
>
> True enough but probably not a real issue in this segment. Bigger
bucks buys
> better specs.

It's an issue because the competition doesn't have this issue, and
isn't much more expensive.

> While investment in these bodies is only a few hundred more, added
> investment in more costly glass can add considerably more. Know use
and
> requirements before buying into any _system_.

Pentax does an advantage in that their consumer lenses are often less
expensive than consumer lenses from Canon or Nikon.

> > As to high ISO, the EOS-350D is the best sub-$1000 D-SLR in terms
of

<snip>

> Probably true since the 350 represents another generation.

Even the 300D had good low noise performance.

> Steve, you forgot to mention the true prism brighter viewfinder,
larger
> eyepiece (great for eyeglasses), larger LCD viewer, larger settings
display,
> easy manual operation, and more.

Good features, but they are only indirectly related to image quality.

The bottom line is that the *istDs is an especially good value if you
already have Pentax lenses, but it would be tough to come up with any
other reasons to choose it over the Nikon D70 or the Canon EOS-350D,
despite the $75-175 price difference. Pentax will likely drop the price
on it soon, so it will have a $650 street price (currently $725), to
compete with the EOS-300D.
Anonymous
February 25, 2005 5:40:21 PM

On 25 Feb 2005 09:56:00 -0800, "Pete" <mr_peter_stevenson@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>I purchased a Pentax *isDS as my first DSLR camera after humming and
>hawing over the D70.
>
>I was sold on AA power source, ergonomics, uncomplicated menu system,
>large bright viewfinder and light weight.
>
>Technically it might not match the new Canons but once I had it in my
>hand, it "just felt right".
>
>The nikon was like a brick in comparison, and I quite like SD cards as
>there are no pins to bend inside the camera when slotting it in.
>
>However, I notice that the pictures come out a wee bit dark, and I'm
>unsure how to perform the firmware upgrade as the downloaded file has a
>README in japanese.
>
>Any clue appreciated from others who have tamed the *isDS ...
>
>P.

Pete,

I don't own the Pentax, but do have a D100 with a similar sensor and
exposure bias. Be thankful it is biased a bit towards underexposure
which helps prevent blowouts in tricky lighting. Try setting a +0.3 or
even +0.7 exposure compensation. As you use your camera more, you will
quickly find out when it is appropriate to add a little more exposure
and when it should just be left alone.

Honestly, this is not an issue, unless you consistantly find a need to
add, or subtract, a stop of bias.

David Glos
February 25, 2005 5:57:33 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

Pete,

Take a look at www.dpreview.com. There was a translation in the Pentax SLR
Talk forum a week or more ago. Sorry I can't find the link right now. Try a
search on Firmware. I'm getting a timeout error and the search fails.

HTH
BobS

"Pete" <mr_peter_stevenson@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I purchased a Pentax *isDS as my first DSLR camera after humming and
> hawing over the D70.
>
> I was sold on AA power source, ergonomics, uncomplicated menu system,
> large bright viewfinder and light weight.
>
> Technically it might not match the new Canons but once I had it in my
> hand, it "just felt right".
>
> The nikon was like a brick in comparison, and I quite like SD cards as
> there are no pins to bend inside the camera when slotting it in.
>
> However, I notice that the pictures come out a wee bit dark, and I'm
> unsure how to perform the firmware upgrade as the downloaded file has a
> README in japanese.
>
> Any clue appreciated from others who have tamed the *isDS ...
>
> P.

Anonymous
February 25, 2005 6:11:55 PM

"David Dyer-Bennet" <dd-b@dd-b.net> wrote in message

> Nikon has their own 12-24mm zoom. That's not quite as wide as
Canon's
> 10mm, but 1.5 x 12 = 18 and 1.6 x 10 = 16, so it's fairly close. In
> fact, Nikon had it a year or so before Canon brought theirs out.

This is true, but the Canon 10-22 can be purchased for a much lower
street price. I paid $629 for the Canon EF-S 10-22 from Dell.com, while
the Nikon 12mm - 24mm f/4.0 would have cost me $912 from a reputable
internet retailer such as Adorama.

Even the $629 was way too much for the Canon lens, but there were no
other choices, and the $629 at Dell was a lot less than what Adorama or
B&H charges for the same lens. The dominance of Canon in digital SLRs
has had the side effect of making Canon products available at big
discounts from non-camera retailers, such as Amazon and Dell, while
this isn't usually the case with Nikon, or other manufacturers.

> Other third-party lens manufacturers besides Sigma have announced
> products in that range, too, but I haven't heard they're actually
> *shipping* yet.

I guess there's the hope that these other third parties will have a
decent product, but judging from the reviews of the Sigma 12-24, I'd be
extremely wary. I'd have rather had an EF mount than an EF-S mount
lens, just in case I ever go full-frame in the future, but a decent
EF-S lens trumps a junky third-party EF lens.

I wouldn't purchase the Pentax *istD or *istDs until Pentax at least
announces a wide-angle zoom somewhere between a 10-22mm and a 12-24mm.
Of course not everyone cares about a wide-angle lens, but I think that
a lot of people don't quite realize how much the crop factor affects
their current lens collection, and the first thing they want, after
they get their new camera body, is something wider angle.
Anonymous
February 25, 2005 7:06:37 PM

"Scharf-DCA" <scharf.steven@gmail.com> writes:

> "BobS" <sturdevr@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> news:D 5CdnV9D7O2EhILfRVn-qA@sysmatrix.net...
>> True, fewer lenses available than for Nikon/Canon however cost is
>> less and
>> some very good glass is available at a reasonable price.
>
> The issue here is that if you want a true wide-angle zoom, and many
> people do, it's something to check prior to selecting a body. It isn't
> an issue just with Pentax. Nikon also doesn't have anything like
> Canon's EF-S 10-22. I would hate to be limited to Sigma glass. Again,
> Pentax is likely to come out with something soon in this focal length
> range, but it has not yet been announced.

Nikon has their own 12-24mm zoom. That's not quite as wide as Canon's
10mm, but 1.5 x 12 = 18 and 1.6 x 10 = 16, so it's fairly close. In
fact, Nikon had it a year or so before Canon brought theirs out.

Other third-party lens manufacturers besides Sigma have announced
products in that range, too, but I haven't heard they're actually
*shipping* yet.
February 26, 2005 2:21:17 AM

"David J. Littleboy" <davidjl@gol.com> writes:

> "Bubbabob" <rnorton@_remove_this_thuntek.net> wrote:
>> scharf.steven@gmail.com wrote:
>
>> > -Limited lens selection, though it's only an issue for wide-angle zooms
>> > that compensate for the crop factor), and Pentax is likely to fix this
>> > soon. For now, there is the poorly reviewed Sigma 12-24mm f/4.5-5.6 EX,
>> > and there will be another Sigma soon (10mm-20mm I believe).
>> >
>> Poorly reviewd, my ass. Every review I've read says it's the equal of the
>> Nikon 12-24 and the test photos all bear this out. I've been using one
>> since July and it's an OUTSTANDING lens. Great optics and very good build
>> quality.
>
> It's got a couple of problems. The main one being that you'll buy a film
> body and a scanner and spend all your time scanning once you see how much
> fun a _real_ wide angle lens can be<g>.

*That's* not too serious -- I've already got 5 film bodies and I've
already got a scanner :-).

But then, I've already got lenses out to 17mm, so it wouldn't be as
big a jump up for me as for a lot of people.
February 26, 2005 6:49:40 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

scharf.steven@gmail.com wrote:

> -Limited lens selection, though it's only an issue for wide-angle zooms
> that compensate for the crop factor), and Pentax is likely to fix this
> soon. For now, there is the poorly reviewed Sigma 12-24mm f/4.5-5.6 EX,
> and there will be another Sigma soon (10mm-20mm I believe).

Poorly reviewd, my ass. Every review I've read says it's the equal of the
Nikon 12-24 and the test photos all bear this out. I've been using one
since July and it's an OUTSTANDING lens. Great optics and very good build
quality.
Anonymous
February 26, 2005 7:16:22 AM

"Bubbabob" <rnorton@_remove_this_thuntek.net> wrote in message

> Poorly reviewd, my ass. Every review I've read says it's the equal of the
> Nikon 12-24 and the test photos all bear this out. I've been using one
> since July and it's an OUTSTANDING lens. Great optics and very good build
> quality.

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/lenses/Canon-...

Scroll down about 1/3 of the way.

Now I admit, this is not being compared against the Nikon 12-24, but I would
hope that the Nikon 12-24 is close to the Canon 10-22 in quality.

It may have been a defective Sigma lens that was the cause, as one person
that responded to the review also had a defective Sigma 12-24 that he
exchanged for a good one. Sigma's quality control on their production line
is legendary.
Anonymous
February 26, 2005 7:50:36 AM

"Steven M. Scharf" <scharf.steven@linkearth.net> wrote:

> http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/lenses/Canon-...
> ml
>
> Scroll down about 1/3 of the way.
>
> Now I admit, this is not being compared against the Nikon 12-24, but I
> would hope that the Nikon 12-24 is close to the Canon 10-22 in
> quality.
>
> It may have been a defective Sigma lens that was the cause, as one
> person that responded to the review also had a defective Sigma 12-24
> that he exchanged for a good one. Sigma's quality control on their
> production line is legendary.

I understand that a few of the first run had some problems with left side
focus. Mine surely isn't one of those, although it's an early one. I just
looked at that review. There's clearly something wrong with that one. I've
never seen anything even remotely like that at f/8 with mine. Or at f/5.6
either. I shot at least 300 frames with mine (on a D70) in Yellowstone and
Bryce last August and I haven't seen any evidence of unsharpness on any of
them. Many were printed at 12x18 and I think it would show up at that
magnification.
Anonymous
February 26, 2005 9:22:49 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

scharf.steven@gmail.com wrote:

: Issues:

: -AA batteries only (many people may like this, I dislike the short
: shelf-life and smaller power/density ratio)

One man's disadvantage is another's plus. I frequently use my camera(s)
when on the road and so the ability to switch to an easily obtained
battery if I find myself "out of charge" and away from my charger, is a
big plus to me. The ability to obtain "fully charged" batteries from any
grocery store, convenience store, gas station, etc is a plus.

: -No Compact Flash storage (the only D-SLR in any segment that doesn't
: take CF memory, an annoyance foisted on users by Pentax trying to not
: have the *istDs intrude on the *istD space)

Since I already have several other devices using SD cards and find them to
be much more portable and robust (no worrys about bent pins when trying to
change cards in a rush) than CF. Since I can easily carry many postage
stamp sized cards, the "limited capacity" of SD vs CF isn't a big problem.
I grew up in the era of a "large" roll of film being 36 images before
having to stop and reload. So a cheap 512 SD with a capacity of 164 images
minimum is really not a hardship.

: -No vertical grip available

That's why wrists bend. :)

: Still, it's a good choice if you have existing compatible Pentax
: lenses, and a very good deal at less than $750.

One of the reasons I went with pentax in the first place. Lots of lenses
already in my kit.

JMHO

Randy

==========
Randy Berbaum
Champaign, IL
Anonymous
February 26, 2005 4:11:25 PM

Scharf-DCA <scharf.steven@gmail.com> wrote:
: despite the $75-175 price difference. Pentax will likely drop the price
: on it soon, so it will have a $650 street price (currently $725), to
: compete with the EOS-300D.

That's what I was waiting for with PMA. Instead, they announce a butt-ugly
silver color version of it? WTF? I'm impressed with the specs of the Canon 350, but
for the "geek amateur" who likes to tinker with the wide variety of old, inexpensive,
and relatively good lenses, the Canon just isn't an option. I'm too much of a cheap
bastard to blow $600 on a single new lens, when I can get a handful of really good
20-30 year old zooms/primes from ebay for much less. Lots of bang/buck, and Canon
phucked everyone awhile back with non-compatibility lenses. Inexcusable raping of
their customers IMO.

For that, I will patiently wait for a small price break to justify the tech
differences between the old/current gen (D70, 300D, *istDS), and the new gen (350D).

-Cory

* Cory Papenfuss *
February 26, 2005 4:45:27 PM

"Bubbabob" <rnorton@_remove_this_thuntek.net> wrote:
> scharf.steven@gmail.com wrote:

> > -Limited lens selection, though it's only an issue for wide-angle zooms
> > that compensate for the crop factor), and Pentax is likely to fix this
> > soon. For now, there is the poorly reviewed Sigma 12-24mm f/4.5-5.6 EX,
> > and there will be another Sigma soon (10mm-20mm I believe).
> >
> Poorly reviewd, my ass. Every review I've read says it's the equal of the
> Nikon 12-24 and the test photos all bear this out. I've been using one
> since July and it's an OUTSTANDING lens. Great optics and very good build
> quality.

It's got a couple of problems. The main one being that you'll buy a film
body and a scanner and spend all your time scanning once you see how much
fun a _real_ wide angle lens can be<g>.

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan
Anonymous
February 26, 2005 4:45:28 PM

"David J. Littleboy" <davidjl@gol.com> wrote:

> It's got a couple of problems. The main one being that you'll buy a
> film body and a scanner and spend all your time scanning once you see
> how much fun a _real_ wide angle lens can be<g>.
>
> David J. Littleboy
> Tokyo, Japan

I have plenty of film bodies and a very good scanner. I get a lot of use
out of the scanner. My film bodies have just collected dust for the last
year. The only things I need to go that wide for are landscapes and for
those I'm quite happy with the digital panoramas I'm making.
Anonymous
February 26, 2005 6:19:30 PM

papenfussDIESPAM@juneauDOTmeDOTvt.edu wrote:

> phucked everyone awhile back with non-compatibility lenses. Inexcusable raping of
> their customers IMO.

Majority says different. In fact most Nikon users face issues regarding
comaptibiltiy between lenses and various bodies with features inaccessible or
disabled in various lens/body combos. The confusion is harmful to Nikon.

Thankfully there are sites like:
http://www.nikonians.org/html/resources/nikon_articles/...
that clarify the issues and warn where damage may occur.

Canon and Minolta did the brave thing. Canon at least have seen great growth
from their product lines where Nikon has fallen from grace.

Cheers,
Alan

February 27, 2005 2:36:10 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

http://www.digital.pentax.co.jp/en/index.php

Had mine for 2 weeks; most awesome dSLR I've ever had ... *ist a jewel!

Previous dSLRs: E20, D30, 10D.

Malevil

> Pete,
>
> Take a look at www.dpreview.com. There was a translation in the Pentax SLR
> Talk forum a week or more ago. Sorry I can't find the link right now. Try
> search on Firmware. I'm getting a timeout error and the search fails.
>
> HTH
> BobS
>

> "Pete" <mr_peter_stevenson@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > I purchased a Pentax *isDS as my first DSLR camera after humming and
> > hawing over the D70.
> >
> > I was sold on AA power source, ergonomics, uncomplicated menu system,
> > large bright viewfinder and light weight.
> >
> > Technically it might not match the new Canons but once I had it in my
> > hand, it "just felt right".
> >
> > The nikon was like a brick in comparison, and I quite like SD cards as
> > there are no pins to bend inside the camera when slotting it in.
> >
> > However, I notice that the pictures come out a wee bit dark, and I'm
> > unsure how to perform the firmware upgrade as the downloaded file has a
> > README in japanese.
> >
> > Any clue appreciated from others who have tamed the *isDS ...
> >
> > P.

February 27, 2005 4:03:55 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

> Take a look at www.dpreview.com. There was a translation in the
Pentax SLR
> Talk forum a week or more ago. Sorry I can't find the link right now.
Try a
> search on Firmware. I'm getting a timeout error and the search fails.

Yes indeedy...

Figured it out. Put the firmware in the root folder of the SD card (not
inside any other folders), turn on the camera while holding menu, and
follow the prompts.

Quick to do and no noticable changes in the camera menus, but now shows
new version.

HTH,

P.
Anonymous
March 3, 2005 11:42:32 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

John Francis <johnf@panix.com> wrote:
: In article <OIydnTVbz8D1u4bfRVn-iQ@sysmatrix.net>,
: BobS <sturdevr@yahoo.com> wrote:
: >
: >One minor annoyance IMHO is the auto shutoff. After the preset time
: >elapses and the DS shuts down, you must power off and on to return to
: >operating mode. My previous Oly would come to life when any control
: >was touched. Not a show stopper.

: Try half-depressing the shutter. That definitely works on a D.

Yes, the half press will wake up the camera. Also if the time out is too
much of a problem, just turn it off. This setting is under Menu/setup/Auto
Power Off. And you can set this timer to 1, 3, 5, 10, 30 min or Off. If
you choose Off, the camera will remain on until the batteries die or you
turn it off. :)

Randy

==========
Randy Berbaum
Champaign, IL
Anonymous
March 7, 2005 12:26:43 AM

BobS wrote:
> One minor annoyance IMHO is the auto shutoff. After the preset time elapses
> and the DS shuts down, you must power off and on to return to operating
> mode. My previous Oly would come to life when any control was touched. Not a
> show stopper.

I touch the shutter release and the camera awakens automatically.
Couldn't be easier. I'm using firmware version 1.01.
Anonymous
March 7, 2005 9:02:14 PM

"DJO" <d@adelphia.net> wrote in message
> BobS wrote:
>> One minor annoyance IMHO is the auto shutoff. After the preset time
>> elapses
>> and the DS shuts down, you must power off and on to return to operating
>> mode. My previous Oly would come to life when any control was touched.
>> Not a
>> show stopper.
>
> I touch the shutter release and the camera awakens automatically. Couldn't
> be easier. I'm using firmware version 1.01.

It worked on 1.00 too.

Deep.
!