2 questions: memory & mb compatibility

phishyfeet

Honorable
Apr 15, 2012
Hai guys ^.^

Researching both my current motherboards Gigabyte 990FXA-UD5
&
ASRock 970 Exteme 4

I noticed that the manufacturer does not support my my exact memory of PATRIOT 1600MHZ 16GB (4x4GB) PGV316G1600ELQK

They both support the speed, however one support is native (I think that's that it is) and the other supports it as O.C

Is it ok to use this type of memory speed even though the exact memory wasn't cleared as tested by the manufacturer. And if I slip in my memory into the board that accept 1600 as O.C only will it work?

andrewcarr

Distinguished
Yes it will be fine. It will work only problem is if you ever have to RMA a board (had to do so with a Biostar one) you may have to tell them the memory brand (they never asked model # in my case) so this could affect the warranty (possibly), although I just say screw it and buy the memory I like. I just look to make sure the ram is 1.5v and the motherboard supports the speed.

phishyfeet

Honorable
Apr 15, 2012
Thank you Andrew.

Will the board that only accepts the speed of 1600 O.C. automatically recognize it or will it set it @ 1333 then I will have to manually adjust the speed up one?

psaus

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2006
Depends on both the motherboard and/or memory. You can either check in the BIOS or in a program called CPUZ to verify what speed the memory was auto-configured for.
It's a 50/50 chance, but should it autoset to 1333, it's easy to change to 1600.
Again, as Andrew said, don't change the voltage - leave it at 1.5v.

andrewcarr

Distinguished

+1 it will most likely default to 1333

phishyfeet

Honorable
Apr 15, 2012
Thanks fellas.

Just did a pre post test before installation into the case and it booted. Did another after install of case and it booted. I am exhausted though and will not be loading on an OS until later tomorrow. I will check later to see if it recognized my native memory.

phishyfeet

Honorable
Apr 15, 2012
This is a little delayed but the memory didn't work with my motherboard or CPU not sure what it was. I kept getting errors non stop in windows. No applications would open and the PC kept BSOD almost instantly. I re-installed OS and finally tried my older DDR3 ram (Kingston BLU) from old build and noticed that it everything was stable.

I'm not sure if this has anything to do with it but my memory on that Patriot had a sticker on the bottom saying "designed for Intel series platforms".

My board was an AMD3/3+ and slightly older sockets. Anywho I ended up upgrading the board to an ASUS Sabertooth and made sure to buy some ram that was on the compatible list and returned my other ram. Ended up saving $25 bucks :)

This was a learning process as I haven't built a computer in a while and things are seem to change, but after a little troubleshooting I figured it out.

Thanks TOMS krew and spare PC's to post on the forums, ftw!