Placing mobo in a different case

Status
Not open for further replies.
Solution
I would go to dell's website and register to post your questions there. It's your best chance of finding someone who has tried the board in your case.
The board should mount without any issues; be sure the power supply leads off your old dell ps match or you may have to change that also. If you have a case standoff that doesn't line up with one of the holes, remove it. You only need 4-5 holes to line up to mount the board. Locating a backplate for the c27vv may be impossible; I doubt dell sells them, and most venders don't include it. You may have to leave the ports exposed without the plate, also called an i/0 shield. I sometimes post a request for an old part on craigslist or anandtech. Finally, you may have fewer issues if you purchase the whole original case with the newer board on ebay, which should have the backplate, and not cost that much than just the board itself.

eso259

Honorable
Apr 16, 2012
my prob is, i cant find any good PCs in my country, so i have to buy it from ebay and such..
but if i bought the entire pc, will cost me a lot cuz of the domestic and shipping,etc...

thats why i decided to buy the parts, and it will cost me a lot less than the whole Pc together

please check this link of the MB,case and processor and i already have PS " cooler master " 500W
i dunno about that backplate,.. so if you please can help me figure it all out
and tell me your opinion about the whole idea and will it work as normal Dell PC or not

http://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-Dell-XPS-420-Tower-Case-XK506-GM635-Black-Gr-C-/330716801643?_trksid=p3286.m7&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26itu%3DUCI%26otn%3D3%26po%3DLVI%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D7769465814996614926

http://www.ebay.com/itm/C27VV-Dell-Optiplex-780-SMT-Motherboard-/120841957385?pt=Motherboards&hash=item1c22bdf009

thanks

Your cooler master 500w should work fine with the dell board. Another problem is that dell motherboards are picky about ram. Be sure the ram you have access to will work with the dell. I worked at dell several times handling components; they often use hynix or samsung ram in their servers. Crucial ram is also common in oem systems. I would post your questions on one of the dell forums on their website. Maybe you'll find someone who knows what ram will work with that board. I recommend a simple esd strap when handling sensitive components (board/ram/ or cpu). Internal circuit damage is possible and most can't be repaired. Boards are manufactured in layers (4-6 is common), so any broken circuits in one of the internal layers means the board can't be repaired.

eso259

Honorable
Apr 16, 2012

thanks for the advice
am goin to get the ram that came with the MB, which is dell optiplex 780

Status
Not open for further replies.