Sign in with
Your question

Fried System?

Last response: in Systems
May 3, 2011 6:46:15 PM

I was mounting a build (with spare components), and suddenly when I was trying to connect the Front Panel USB's, the PSU started to give the new year's eve sparkling show...

I have to mention that nothing except the board was connected on the PSU and the system was shut off (except the main switch at the back of the PSU).
The system did open 4 times at least for the On/Off and Reset Switches Connections test without a problem...

So if anyone with electrical expertise could give me a response to my wonder, did the PSU had long gone (was controlled with a PSU meter, and look good without a dummy load off course), or do I have an electrical leak on my case?
Also could the mobo fry my PSU?

So many questions... To mount or not to mount, to put a new PSU or not to... Telle est la question... :o 

Good old days when the my beautiful mobo (an MSI) was monitoring the voltages and was bleeping all over when in trouble. :D 

More about : fried system

May 3, 2011 9:31:57 PM

Anyone? Nothing?? Do I have to sacrifice (dramatizing for testing) an other PSU? Anyone that has a suggestion to see if the mobo or the case is leaking?

Damn, Tom's isn't what used to be anymore... :snif
a b B Homebuilt system
May 3, 2011 9:57:32 PM

Do you have the wiring diagram for your Front Panel USB port's connector(s)? Compare it to what your motherboard's USB header(s) expects. If it's wired wrong it will short out.

It could also be an extra standoff shorting out the motherboard.
Related resources
May 3, 2011 11:23:49 PM

Got the schematic of the Front Panel of the mobo (always checking them, before starting the builds) and the pins of the front panel of the case aren't on a predefined connector (each pin [G,+,- and VCC] is marked and free to put where you need to).

What is really strange is that the mobo started to go on firework mode (the smell included) when tried to connect the pins (the PSU is blown now), even if the mobo wasn't powered on...(but with the main power switch on as stated before).

Got an other old PSU in spare, will try tomorrow and update if I find anything. If you got more suggestions, please let me hear.
a b B Homebuilt system
May 4, 2011 1:40:29 AM

Freezeron said:
Got the schematic of the Front Panel of the mobo (always checking them, before starting the builds) and the pins of the front panel of the case aren't on a predefined connector (each pin [G,+,- and VCC] is marked and free to put where you need to).

What is really strange is that the mobo started to go on firework mode (the smell included) when tried to connect the pins (the PSU is blown now), even if the mobo wasn't powered on...(but with the main power switch on as stated before).

Got an other old PSU in spare, will try tomorrow and update if I find anything. If you got more suggestions, please let me hear.

With the power switch on the power supply in the on position and plugged into an electrical outlet the motherboard is still receiving power from the power supply's +5VSB (+5 Volt Stand By) rail. There is usually a +5VSB LED on the motherboard that indicates that the motherboard is still receiving power even though you may think otherwise.

There is a reason why there is a warning placed in the motherboard manual telling you to disconnect the power cord from the electrical outlet before tampering with anything on the motherboard.
May 4, 2011 8:20:37 AM

Yeah, got the notice now lol, the mobo is quite simple and doesn't give any electrical indication (led, or anything else) and I'd forgot that the USB spec still is giving steady power to the outlet, but the question is, should this had short-circuited (I'm quite confident that I didn't messed up with an other pin..., but you never know).

Will check the USB outlets (front panel and mobo) with a multimeter and with the older PSU.

P.S.: I'm working on a wooden desk and so the current either leaked from the current outlet of the PSU to ground (European SUKO standard power outlet) either by me (but had rubber slippers at the time, lol) either by the case.

Well, I'll check it out and update the post... Thanks man.
May 4, 2011 10:41:08 AM

End of the story, the mobo is fried and doesn't even start (even if it doesn't look it, as every capacitor is in good shape and nothing looks fried)...
Anyhow, will look to get an new mid-budget mobo and processor for my little project...

ko888, thanks a lot, hope to see you on other posts, lol.
!