sean458

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2011
I am running an i3-2100 using built in graphics. I have the latest driver installed, as well as adobe flash, but youtube videos are not playing smoothly. This happens both in fullscreen and the normal size.

I noticed in my Sony laptop there is java, MSXML 4.0 SP2, microsoft visual c++, directx, shockwave player, and .net framework 4.0. These programs are not installed on the pc in question, because I built it myself and used a windows 7 x64 fresh install.

How can I get smooth playback? Do I need any of these things installed? Can anyone suggest trying something else?

btw, 1080p movies in vlc play no problem.

Thanks in advance, very appreciated.

sean458

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2011

Thanks for your reply.

I have tried different web browsers, including IE9, Chrome and Firefox. Yes, the internet is more than fast enough.
The computer is up-to-date regarding Windows updates.

Surely other people are having the same problem. This is the second pc i've built with this very same problem.

sean458

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2011

No. Any site that streams videos produces the same problem.

sean458

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2011
Yes they play perfectly in the laptop.
The connection speed is around 5Mbps (measured by speedtest.net) if I remember correctly.

sean458

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2011
I have Flash 10.3 as well lol.

It doesn't stop and start. It buffers fine, and plays constantly.
But when playing.. if a car is driving from the left to the right of the screen (for example) the motion is similar to playing a game with low fps. Another example would be when the camera is moving or zooming, it is like the camera man doesn't have a steady hand. A bit like comparing the movement of a ticking quartz watch to a sweeping rolex.
It is not the youtube video either, because I tested the same video on my computer, which played as smooth as silk.

sean458

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2011
No, it definately doesn't run anywhere close to 100% usage.
They both have different cpu's and motherboards. The only thing identical excluding the hard drive is the wireless pci card:
Tenda Wireless-N300 PCI Adapter, W322P.

It would make sense to blame the wireless card, except in theory, when the video is fully buffered, the video file is stored on the hdd temporarily. Therefore, the wireless card has already done its job and is not being used. correct? But even when fully buffered, the same problem exists. Weird

if the only identical hardware is the wireless card then try connecting it with an ethernet cable to see what happens--as you say it should be in a temp file if its fully buffered but see what happens

other than that it looks like a software problem of some sort--not sure if you can play youtube in safe mode with networking as have never tried but may be worth a go just to see what happens

sean458

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2011

I will give that a try.

Thanks for all your help mate.