Phenom 955 Heat sink going very fast!

pkhamidar2com

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2011
Hey, ive just built my new pc, but for some reason my new heatsink keeps going loud and quite fast.

Also when i open games such as minecraft it goes kinda crazy, but i dunno why.

What i THINK is the problem is that when i was trying to put the heatsink on it was taking a while, and it was very hard, so i had to take it off, try it the other way, take it off again, try it the other way, then after many tries i found a way of putting it on.

But i think the thermal paste dried up or air bubbles got trapped between the cpu and the heatsink.

But im not sure... do you think applying new thermal paste will solve this problem?

here are some screen shots.
capturelaa.jpg

just so you know, sometimes the speed of the fan increases to around 6500rpm continously.

wintermint

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2009
I think you should clean your heatsink and your CPU with alcohol carefully. Put thermal compound in the middle of the CPU [about a dime] and then carefully place your heatsink on top and lower it down. When the two surfaces touch, I would move my heatsink to the sides a little to spread the thermal compound even more. This is a simple way to apply thermal compound and it will cover the spots that heat up the most.

pkhamidar2com

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2011
but my heatsink is only one day old... its very very new.

should i remove the old thermal paste? and i dont have any alcohol or anything at home. How do i go about removing it safely?

do you think applying new thermal paste will fix it? the high rpm thing