Changing boot order?

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
May 10, 2005 10:55:39 AM

Hi all,

I have a Thinkpad 365SX with no floppy drive.
When I turn it on, it just asks for a boot floppy from drive A:
I can get into the bios and to the screen that you can
change the boot order where it says foppy first, hd second
cdrom third etc... but I don't know how to change it. Does
anyone know how?

thanks,
charles.....

More about : changing boot order

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 10, 2005 11:05:49 AM

***** charles wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have a Thinkpad 365SX with no floppy drive.
> When I turn it on, it just asks for a boot floppy from drive A:
> I can get into the bios and to the screen that you can
> change the boot order where it says foppy first, hd second
> cdrom third etc... but I don't know how to change it. Does
> anyone know how?
>
> thanks,
> charles.....

The instructions are usually at the bottom of the screen. The minus
(hyphen) key and the plus key (shift =) implement changes. Some entries
use the arrow keys.

a b D Laptop
May 11, 2005 7:17:49 PM

"***** charles" <shultzjrX@joimail.com> wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> I have a Thinkpad 365SX with no floppy drive.
> When I turn it on, it just asks for a boot floppy from drive A:
> I can get into the bios and to the screen that you can
> change the boot order where it says foppy first, hd second
> cdrom third etc... but I don't know how to change it. Does
> anyone know how?
>
> thanks,
> charles.....

If your laptop will not skip the floppy boot if there is no disk or
drive present, you have a problem with your hard drive. One
normally puts a removable drive ahead of the hard drive so that one
can boot from it under certain circumstance, such as when you have
to prepare a new hard drive or update the BIOS. If the hard drive
is listed first, none of the other bootable devices will be reached
in the boot sequence. You need to turn off floppy boot seek rather
than change the boot order.

--
Earl F. Parrish
a b D Laptop

> ***** charles wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I have a Thinkpad 365SX with no floppy drive.
> > When I turn it on, it just asks for a boot floppy from drive A:
> > I can get into the bios and to the screen that you can
> > change the boot order where it says foppy first, hd second
> > cdrom third etc... but I don't know how to change it. Does
> > anyone know how?
> >
> > thanks,
> > charles.....
>
> The instructions are usually at the bottom of the screen. The minus
> (hyphen) key and the plus key (shift =) implement changes. Some entries
> use the arrow keys.

Just to let you know how it turned out, I finally got the hard drive
before the floppy in the boot sequence. Now I get an I9990305
which means the motherboard can't even see the hard drive. Now
I have to decide if I want to go through the expense/time/effort of
getting a new/used different hard drive and install another os.

thanks,
charles.....
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 15, 2005 3:56:44 AM

***** charles wrote:

>>***** charles wrote:
>>
>>>Hi all,
>>>
>>>I have a Thinkpad 365SX with no floppy drive.
>>>When I turn it on, it just asks for a boot floppy from drive A:
>>>I can get into the bios and to the screen that you can
>>>change the boot order where it says foppy first, hd second
>>>cdrom third etc... but I don't know how to change it. Does
>>>anyone know how?
>>>
>>>thanks,
>>>charles.....
>>
>>The instructions are usually at the bottom of the screen. The minus
>>(hyphen) key and the plus key (shift =) implement changes. Some entries
>>use the arrow keys.

> Just to let you know how it turned out, I finally got the hard drive
> before the floppy in the boot sequence. Now I get an I9990305
> which means the motherboard can't even see the hard drive. Now
> I have to decide if I want to go through the expense/time/effort of
> getting a new/used different hard drive and install another os.
>
> thanks,
> charles.....

I am not sure what you mean about a I9990305 but if you know what that
means ... Then actually, it is the BIOS which do not identify the
hard-drive and I would first try to solve this problem before attempting
anything else. Are you able to enter the Bios and check the settings for
the hard drive?

--
John Doue
!