Sign in with
Your question

PCI Express slot X8 SNAPPED OFF

Last response: in Components
July 31, 2011 8:00:57 PM

Hi All

Guys, I am such an idiot. OMG. Just got a new pc, and i freakin broke the x8 slot on a gigabyte p67 UD5!
The slot is broken about half way. No gold pins are missing from the point where is snapped off, Only the far right hand side insertion pins. Because its a x8 slot, i don't think the gold pins are from the beginning of the housing, to the very end. The pins seem to stop halfway. I cant get the far right small little single pin, plus the small insertion silver "clippy" pin in. Am i stuffed?

If any one can help, ill be appreciative

Julz

http://s1195.photobucket.com/albums/aa382/julzfromsa/?a...
a b ) Power supply
July 31, 2011 8:10:29 PM

See if you can get a replacement from warranty. If you can't get a replacement and don't plan to SLI/CROSSFIRE*, then don't worry. Otherwise, go get a replacement >: blame it on them :D 

Wow typo haha
July 31, 2011 8:18:59 PM

Its gona be hard to blame them when A PCI slot has literally been snapped off. How can that be a factory prob. I do believe i can fix it. It seems as if i can carefully place the broken housing gently over the small Pin and clip, then superglue it, it might work.. Yeah, its stupid i know!, but its an extremely delicate and frustrating job. Dunno if i can pull it off.

Wanted to trifire a 6990 and a 6950 for future proofing but, if i cant, i cant!!

ARRRRGGHGHGHG
Related resources
July 31, 2011 8:20:10 PM

wintermint said:
See if you can get a replacement from warranty. If you can't get a replacement and don't plan to SLI/Overclock, then don't worry. Otherwise, go get a replacement >: blame it on them :D 

Why wont i be able to overclock?
August 1, 2011 2:53:13 PM

Seriously guys, No help?? Im sure this has happened to someone before and has fixed it.

a b ) Power supply
August 1, 2011 7:08:59 PM

Forget fixing it yourself, that will no doubt void any warranty. Throw blame on manufacturer or delivery service and get a replacement if at all possible. If that all fails with no other option, then only thing you have left is to attempt a repair.
August 1, 2011 8:18:59 PM

Blame the shipping company and RMA. Only try and fix it yourself if they refuse.

Still, how do you snap off a X8 slot? I mean, they're DESIGNED to have heavy cards inserted/removed, so the fact it snapped off alone would indicate a defect of some sort...
August 1, 2011 8:35:01 PM

gamerk316 said:
Blame the shipping company and RMA. Only try and fix it yourself if they refuse.

Still, how do you snap off a X8 slot? I mean, they're DESIGNED to have heavy cards inserted/removed, so the fact it snapped off alone would indicate a defect of some sort...

As i tried to remove the card i lost balance, slipped backwards and yanked the effer out.. clumsy.. nice board i just messed up.
August 1, 2011 8:36:55 PM

will try to get warranty to cough cough cough up! i feel bad!
a b ) Power supply
August 2, 2011 3:13:18 AM

julzfromsa said:
As i tried to remove the card i lost balance, slipped backwards and yanked the effer out.. clumsy.. nice board i just messed up.

lol
a b ) Power supply
August 2, 2011 12:26:53 PM

Don't feel bad, its a heck of alot more money to you than it is to them.

Im pretty sure a few companies actually allow for build warranty (as in your covered for a replacement if anything breaks when you build your pc)
September 7, 2011 9:02:12 AM

Well No luck on the Warranty claim. Physical damage is not a warranty claim, apparently.. Damn.

Im now in two minds about purchasing a new Mobo

MSI Z68 GD80

Asus maximus IV gene - z

I have no need to crossfire, however i have a xonar xense that needs a PCI express slot.. Only prob, mATX is so small, and in a HAF 932, it will look smaller (and thats what she said) hehehe.

Should the UD5 Still work?????

Regards

Julz
September 8, 2011 2:04:17 PM

julzfromsa said:
Well No luck on the Warranty claim. Physical damage is not a warranty claim, apparently.. Damn.

Im now in two minds about purchasing a new Mobo

MSI Z68 GD80

Asus maximus IV gene - z

I have no need to crossfire, however i have a xonar xense that needs a PCI express slot.. Only prob, mATX is so small, and in a HAF 932, it will look smaller (and thats what she said) hehehe.

Should the UD5 Still work?????

Regards

Julz

Try and claim it against the seller / shipping company. If not, the board will still work as long as no pins are touching / shorted torwards the end of the socket. Technically, if all pins are present and not bent/missing, the slot would still work. You just don't have a retaining clip to secure the x16 cards now. If you plan on using an Xonar, it would still work, becuase they're not x16 cards anyways.

September 23, 2011 2:04:42 PM

Ok guys, the board is stuffed. A chip on the back of the mobo broke off so apparently the board doesnt work.

Im getting the MSI Z68 GD80 To replace. Im planning on crossfiring MSI twin frozr III with the board...

What do u guys think
September 23, 2011 3:29:13 PM

That's not a chip. It's a metal pin that was previously embedded in the rear of the PCI-E socket to support it and hold it to the board. It serves no electrical purpose, only a mechanical support for the socket.
September 23, 2011 3:41:31 PM

SO then my board should still work? The technician said it does not work...this just gets better and better
September 23, 2011 7:24:47 PM

Unless you knocked something else off of the board that's causing it to not work, like a small surface mount resistor or cap. That piece you circled is just a support pin, it doesn't provide any electrical function what so ever.
September 27, 2011 7:43:23 PM

ok guys

Just got a new board. My rig is complete.

Msi Z68GD80 (BROKE GIGABYTE P67 UD5) SHAME ON ME
8GIGS VENGENCE RAM
COOLERMASTER HAF 932 CHASSIS
COOLERMASTER 212+ PUSH PULL EXCALIBUR FANS
GIGABYTE ODIN 1200W PRO
2 X MSI LIGHTNING HD 6970 IN CROSSFIRE
ASUS ZONAR XENSE SOUND
64 GIG SSD (RUBBISH ONE)
1TB BARACUDA HD
ROCCAT KONE MOUSE
MAC MONITOR 27 INCH..

http://s1195.photobucket.com/albums/aa382/julzfromsa/?a...
a b ) Power supply
September 27, 2011 8:15:44 PM

Lookin' good :sol: 

On another note I'm surprised the slot broke off, I'd have guessed that the GPU's connector would be weaker.
September 28, 2011 9:51:12 PM

FinneousPJ said:
Lookin' good :sol: 

On another note I'm surprised the slot broke off, I'd have guessed that the GPU's connector would be weaker.

You'd be surprised. When they take an x16 slot and only populate it with x4 or x8 lane pins, the rest is just weak, perforated, unsupported plastic. It's not hard to break them, since they don't have the full pin count to support it.

!