Perrin Kaplan Interview

Last response: in Video Games
May 14, 2004 12:10:45 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.nintendo,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance,uk.games.video.gamecube,alt.games.nintendo.zelda (More info?)

[last page of a 3 page interview]

IGN: So is there another cel-shaded Zelda in development then?

Perrin Kaplan: That I can't tell you.
IGN: So have you seen this rumored two-minute Zelda trailer that
Nintendo was going to show off, but pulled at the last minute?

Perrin Kaplan: I have and it's beautiful. What's not beautiful about
the new Zelda?

IGN: What happened with the GameCube peripheral that Nintendo
president Satoru Iwata would be at E3 2004?

Perrin Kaplan: You'll hear more about it this year.

IGN: Is it a hard drive or mass-storage memory device for the
GameCube?

Perrin Kaplan: You'll hear more about it this year.

IGN: Will Nintendo Revolution still launch at the same time as systems
from competitors Sony and Microsoft's consoles?

Perrin Kaplan: We will be at the right time and it will be during that
time, yes.

[Laughter]

IGN: What does that mean?

Perrin Kaplan: You're asking for a specific date for our next system
-- we don't have one. Nintendo is going to remain competitive and will
launch around the same time as competitors.

IGN: But not later than?

Perrin Kaplan: No, not later than.

IGN: The codename Revolution implies a new way to play games. Can we
safely assume that this will be the case?

Perrin Kaplan: I think DS shows a new way to play games. The
opportunities for that seem almost endless. Our hope and intent is to
create something as unique as DS [with Revolution].

IGN: Will you help market Resident Evil 4?

Perrin Kaplan: Nintendo is very committed to Capcom's
GameCube-exclusive game. You will see a lot of activity on it.

IGN: Do games like Metroid Prime 2 and the new Zelda mean that
Nintendo will focus more of its efforts to make games for the adult
market?

Perrin Kaplan: I think that's a fair statement. I think Nintendo is
certainly not leaving one arena to enter another. It's really an
extension, making sure we've got good quality games across the board.
I think a lot of the products that we have right now do appeal to the
older audience and I think a lot of it has to do with how you package
it. I feel that we hit on the market this time.

IGN: Do you feel that third-party support for GCN will be a problem
this year?

Perrin Kaplan: No, I think all the major licensees continue to have a
relationship with Nintendo. It's just a matter of moving forward and
making sure that all the right products are on the platform. Resident
Evil 4 is actually a really great example of the great product you can
get.

IGN: Is next year's E3 going to be the E3 for Revolution?

Perrin Kaplan: It could very well be. That's our plan. But that's a
long ways off. This business changes every day so I won't make any
commitments at the moment.

IGN would like to thank Jedi Master Kaplan for the interview.

entire interview:

http://cube.ign.com/articles/515/515140p1.html
Anonymous
May 14, 2004 7:55:29 AM

"R420" <radeonr420@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> [last page of a 3 page interview]
> snip
>
> IGN: Will Nintendo Revolution still launch at the same time as systems
> from competitors Sony and Microsoft's consoles?
>
> Perrin Kaplan: We will be at the right time and it will be during that
> time, yes.
>
> [Laughter]
>
> IGN: What does that mean?
>
> Perrin Kaplan: You're asking for a specific date for our next system
> -- we don't have one. Nintendo is going to remain competitive and will
> launch around the same time as competitors.
>
> IGN: But not later than?
>
> Perrin Kaplan: No, not later than.

Makes me wonder what they will do if MS releases a console in 2005, as has
been widely rumored lately.
Anonymous
May 14, 2004 12:57:55 PM

"El Guapo" <plethora@pinatas.com> wrote in message
> "R420" <radeonr420@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > [last page of a 3 page interview]
> > snip
> >
> > IGN: Will Nintendo Revolution still launch at the same time as systems
> > from competitors Sony and Microsoft's consoles?
> >
> > Perrin Kaplan: We will be at the right time and it will be during that
> > time, yes.
> >
> > [Laughter]
> >
> > IGN: What does that mean?
> >
> > Perrin Kaplan: You're asking for a specific date for our next system
> > -- we don't have one. Nintendo is going to remain competitive and will
> > launch around the same time as competitors.
> >
> > IGN: But not later than?
> >
> > Perrin Kaplan: No, not later than.
>
> Makes me wonder what they will do if MS releases a console in 2005, as has
> been widely rumored lately.

Probably laugh. MS can't win with a rushed product. Sony got ahead through
hype and their MASSIVE PS1 fanbase. By 2005, Xbox will likely have a fanbase of
around 20 million. Launching that early will only hurt them.
May 14, 2004 1:32:04 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.nintendo,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance,uk.games.video.gamecube,alt.games.nintendo.zelda (More info?)

"R420" <radeonr420@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> [last page of a 3 page interview]

[snip]

Wow, it took 3 pages to say "No comment"?

--
Gorf
Anonymous

"Shadow" <mypantsare@thedrycleaners.com> wrote in message

> "El Guapo" <plethora@pinatas.com> wrote in message
> > "R420" <radeonr420@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > > [last page of a 3 page interview]
> > > snip
> > >
> > > IGN: Will Nintendo Revolution still launch at the same time as systems
> > > from competitors Sony and Microsoft's consoles?
> > >
> > > Perrin Kaplan: We will be at the right time and it will be during that
> > > time, yes.
> > >
> > > [Laughter]
> > >
> > > IGN: What does that mean?
> > >
> > > Perrin Kaplan: You're asking for a specific date for our next system
> > > -- we don't have one. Nintendo is going to remain competitive and will
> > > launch around the same time as competitors.
> > >
> > > IGN: But not later than?
> > >
> > > Perrin Kaplan: No, not later than.
> >
> > Makes me wonder what they will do if MS releases a console in 2005, as
has
> > been widely rumored lately.
> >

> Probably laugh. MS can't win with a rushed product. Sony got ahead
through
> hype and their MASSIVE PS1 fanbase. By 2005, Xbox will likely have a
fanbase of
> around 20 million. Launching that early will only hurt them.

So what happened to the hype of the N64 and the MASSIVE Super Nintendo
fanbase when the Nintendo 64 was released :) .
Anonymous
May 15, 2004 1:43:09 AM

"eminem is back" <holamigo@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> "Shadow" <mypantsare@thedrycleaners.com> wrote in message
> >
> > "El Guapo" <plethora@pinatas.com> wrote in message
> > > "R420" <radeonr420@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> > > Makes me wonder what they will do if MS releases a console in 2005, as
> has
> > > been widely rumored lately.
> > >

> > Probably laugh. MS can't win with a rushed product. Sony got ahead
> through
> > hype and their MASSIVE PS1 fanbase. By 2005, Xbox will likely have a
> fanbase of
> > around 20 million. Launching that early will only hurt them.
>
> So what happened to the hype of the N64 and the MASSIVE Super Nintendo
> fanbase when the Nintendo 64 was released :) .

The SNES fanbase was around 45 million, not the 90 million PS1 had, and the N64
ended up around 30 million. At that ratio, Xbox 2 should end up at around 13
million or less by the time Xbox 3 is ready to be rolled out, if at all.
Anonymous
May 15, 2004 2:05:57 AM

> "eminem is back" <holamigo@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >
> > "Shadow" <mypantsare@thedrycleaners.com> wrote in message
> > >
> > > "El Guapo" <plethora@pinatas.com> wrote in message

> > has
> > > >

> > > Probably laugh. MS can't win with a rushed product. Sony got ahead
> > through
> > > hype and their MASSIVE PS1 fanbase. By 2005, Xbox will likely have a
> > fanbase of
> > > around 20 million. Launching that early will only hurt them.
> >
> > So what happened to the hype of the N64 and the MASSIVE Super Nintendo
> > fanbase when the Nintendo 64 was released :) .
> >

> The SNES fanbase was around 45 million, not the 90 million PS1 had, and
the N64
> ended up around 30 million. At that ratio, Xbox 2 should end up at around
13
> million or less by the time Xbox 3 is ready to be rolled out, if at all.

Did PS1 have a 90 million fanbase when N64 was released?
!