Compatible RAM with my motherboard?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nevintsha

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2011
Hello, I'm trying to figure out if my motherboard supports this DDR2 RAM which I have been planning to buy. I think my old RAM is having some troubles.

Here's the RAM i'm wanting to buy: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148212

Here's my motherboard: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&docname=c01324212#N129

Yea, I know it's out of stock on newegg, but the seller on ebay had linked me to the newegg for better info on the RAM.
Also, is it a bad idea to by my RAM used? The guy so far has had 26 100% positive feedback over the past 12 months.

Solution
No. you can buy used ram; I like to purchase ram locally off craigslist, but ebay is fine. Any variety of non ecc crucial ddr2 that matches your current ram speed should work fine. I also use gskill, patriot, corsair, and kingston. But for best results, pull a stick and google the ram model number and try to match it exactly. Check dell specs and be sure 2 gb sticks will work. 4 gb is normally plenty; I've found some used 2x2 gb kits for around $40 on craigslist. You may also run memtest (a free download) with each stick one at a time in the ram slot closest to the cpu. If your ram passes memtest, then the problem may be in the board, not the ram. Older boards sometimes have capacitors that go bad; then I would replace the...
No. you can buy used ram; I like to purchase ram locally off craigslist, but ebay is fine. Any variety of non ecc crucial ddr2 that matches your current ram speed should work fine. I also use gskill, patriot, corsair, and kingston. But for best results, pull a stick and google the ram model number and try to match it exactly. Check dell specs and be sure 2 gb sticks will work. 4 gb is normally plenty; I've found some used 2x2 gb kits for around $40 on craigslist. You may also run memtest (a free download) with each stick one at a time in the ram slot closest to the cpu. If your ram passes memtest, then the problem may be in the board, not the ram. Older boards sometimes have capacitors that go bad; then I would replace the board.

Solution

Nevintsha

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2011

I'm actually going to replace all of my RAM (which is in a 1x1 set up with 4 separate sticks) in trade for the 2x2 setup. My mobo supports 2x2 and a max speed of 800MHz
I just wasn't sure if the ones I want would work or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.