DS ahead of PSP in 3rd party support

Last response: in Video Games
May 14, 2004 12:32:50 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.nintendo,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance,rec.games.video.sony,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/05/13/news_6098199.ht...

Nintendo announces 100 DS developers, 40-plus games

Massive game-maker touts its portable's growing catalog, massive
third-party support.
Today in the Japanese press, Nintendo announced it has shipped DS
software development kits to more than 100 companies worldwide. That
figure puts the DS a nose ahead of the PSP for third-party support:
Sony claims 99 developers are on board for its new handheld.

So far, the DS game catalog is a varied bunch. First-party games are a
perennial strength for Nintendo, and it's not surprising that they are
the cornerstone of its new platform's catalog. So far, Nintendo has
announced the following DS games:

Nintendo
Animal Crossing DS
Mario Kart DS
Metroid Prime: Hunters*
Nintendogs
PictoChat (software that lets players send instant messages and
drawings using the DS's wireless capabilities.)*
Super Mario 64x4
Super Mario Bros. DS
WarioWare Inc. DS

Nintendo has a solid lineup of third party titles as well; here's a
complete list, drawn from Japanese and American sources:

Activision
Spider-Man 2

Atari
(One title in development)

Bandai
Dragonball Z
One Piece
Mobile Suit Gundam Seed*

Banpresto
Dragonball Z

Capcom
Gyakutensaiban (a.k.a. Reversal of Judgment)
MegaMan Battle Network
Viewtiful Joe

Electronic Arts
Need for Speed

From Software
(multiple titles in development)

Hudson
Bomberman*
(multiple titles in development)

Koei
Dynasty Warriors

Konami
Frogger 2005
Yu-Gi-Oh!: Nightmare Troubador (tentative title)

Majesco
(One title in development)

Namco
Mr. Driller
Pac-Pix*
Pac 'n-Roll*
Unnamed RPG

Sega
Project Rub
Sonic DS (tentative title)*

Square Enix
Dragon Quest Monsters
Egg Monster Heroes*
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles

THQ
SpongeBob SquarePants DS

Tecmo
Monster Rancher
Team Ninja game (name has not been released)

Ubisoft
Rayman

VU Games
(One title in development)

By Tor Thorsen, Dan Tochen -- GameSpot
POSTED: 05/13/04 02:52PM PST
Anonymous
May 14, 2004 6:21:43 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.nintendo,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance,rec.games.video.sony,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/05/12/news_6097859.ht...

It's just one big difference. 99-100.

"R420" <radeonr420@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> [...]
> Dynasty Warriors
>
> Konami
> Frogger 2005
> Yu-Gi-Oh!: Nightmare Troubador (tentative title)
>
> Majesco
> (One title in development)
>
> Namco
> Mr. Driller
> Pac-Pix*
> Pac 'n-Roll*
> Unnamed RPG
>
> Sega
> Project Rub
> Sonic DS (tentative title)*
>
> Square Enix
> Dragon Quest Monsters
> Egg Monster Heroes*
> Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles
>
> THQ
> SpongeBob SquarePants DS
>
> Tecmo
> Monster Rancher
> Team Ninja game (name has not been released)

Anonymous
May 14, 2004 6:30:27 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.nintendo,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance,uk.games.video.gameboy (More info?)

R420 wrote:

> Nintendo
> Animal Crossing DS
> Mario Kart DS
> Metroid Prime: Hunters*
> Nintendogs
> PictoChat (software that lets players send instant messages and
> drawings using the DS's wireless capabilities.)*
> Super Mario 64x4
> Super Mario Bros. DS
> WarioWare Inc. DS

Unfortunately, once again Nintendo has gone for porting old titles over rather
than creating any new ones (with the exception of Wario Ware and PictoChat).
What we need are NEW games - how many people are getting pissed off with lazy
half-arsed SNES ports for their GBAs at the moment? I would hope that PictoChat
would be something that ends up being built in to the system so there's the
opportunity to have instant messaging on the move without swapping carts.

> Nintendo has a solid lineup of third party titles as well; here's a
> complete list, drawn from Japanese and American sources:
>
> Activision
> Spider-Man 2

I've never trusted film licences - they usually make for piss-poor uninnovative
games.

> Atari
> (One title in development)
>
> Bandai
> Dragonball Z
> One Piece
> Mobile Suit Gundam Seed*
>
> Banpresto
> Dragonball Z

So what's going to be the difference between Bandai's Dragonball Z and
Banpresto's version?

> Capcom
> Gyakutensaiban (a.k.a. Reversal of Judgment)
> MegaMan Battle Network
> Viewtiful Joe

Sounds alright.

> Electronic Arts
> Need for Speed

Another port? Then again, these will be first-gen games so there's time yet...

> From Software
> (multiple titles in development)
>
> Hudson
> Bomberman*
> (multiple titles in development)
>
> Koei
> Dynasty Warriors
>
> Konami
> Frogger 2005
> Yu-Gi-Oh!: Nightmare Troubador (tentative title)
>
> Majesco
> (One title in development)
>
> Namco
> Mr. Driller
> Pac-Pix*
> Pac 'n-Roll*
> Unnamed RPG
>
> Sega
> Project Rub
> Sonic DS (tentative title)*

From watching the video, I hope there's more to this one than ruining the DS's
touchscreen.

> Square Enix
> Dragon Quest Monsters
> Egg Monster Heroes*
> Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles
>
> THQ
> SpongeBob SquarePants DS
>
> Tecmo
> Monster Rancher
> Team Ninja game (name has not been released)
>
> Ubisoft
> Rayman
>
> VU Games
> (One title in development)

Not a bad line-up really, except for Nintendo's ports. The only issue I have
though is Nintendo were said to be aiming for the 18-35 market (those with a
disposable income), yet there aren't many games here that appear to fit that
demographic. True, a sizeable proportion of that market already have GBA/SPs and
do play games aimed at kids, particularly because the games are easy to get into
and are great for killing some time during a lunch break, but it would be nice
to see dedicated 'adult' games as well (by 'adult' I mean games that require a
lot of thought rather than randomly hammering the screen, though the new Metroid
game looks great!).

Non-relevent groups snipped. uk.games.video.gameboy added.

Paul.
Related resources
May 14, 2004 6:30:28 PM

"Paul Evans" <uknorthernerSPAMMEANDDIEYOULOWLIFESCUM2000@hotmail.com> wrote
in message news:2gjvviF3nnnhU1@uni-berlin.de...
> R420 wrote:
>
> > Nintendo
> > Animal Crossing DS
> > Mario Kart DS
> > Metroid Prime: Hunters*
> > Nintendogs
> > PictoChat (software that lets players send instant messages and
> > drawings using the DS's wireless capabilities.)*
> > Super Mario 64x4
> > Super Mario Bros. DS
> > WarioWare Inc. DS
> >
> Unfortunately, once again Nintendo has gone for porting old titles over
rather
> than creating any new ones (with the exception of Wario Ware and
PictoChat).

Are you expecting more from the PSP? LOL.

> What we need are NEW games - how many people are getting pissed off with
lazy
> half-arsed SNES ports for their GBAs at the moment?

SNES make up the tiny minority on GBA. In addition of the game listed above,
Mario Kart is not a port, but a new game. Metroid is not a pot, but a new
game in the series. Nintendogs is not a port. Super Mario BROS DS is not a
port.

> I would hope that PictoChat
> would be something that ends up being built in to the system so there's
the
> opportunity to have instant messaging on the move without swapping carts.

It has been stated that that is under consideration.

> > Nintendo has a solid lineup of third party titles as well; here's a
> > complete list, drawn from Japanese and American sources:
> >
> > Activision
> > Spider-Man 2
> >
> I've never trusted film licences - they usually make for piss-poor
uninnovative
> games.

True.

> > Atari
> > (One title in development)
> >
> > Bandai
> > Dragonball Z
> > One Piece
> > Mobile Suit Gundam Seed*
> >
> > Banpresto
> > Dragonball Z
> >
> So what's going to be the difference between Bandai's Dragonball Z and
> Banpresto's version?

Perhpas you would like to speculate?

> > Capcom
> > Gyakutensaiban (a.k.a. Reversal of Judgment)
> > MegaMan Battle Network
> > Viewtiful Joe
> >
> Sounds alright.

No ports there.

> > Electronic Arts
> > Need for Speed
> >
> Another port? Then again, these will be first-gen games so there's time
yet...

Need for speed has been confirms as an original game in the series.
> > Sega
> > Project Rub
> > Sonic DS (tentative title)*
> >
> From watching the video, I hope there's more to this one than ruining the
DS's
> touchscreen.

That was just a tech demo.

> > VU Games
> > (One title in development)
> >
> Not a bad line-up really, except for Nintendo's ports.

Of which there is really only 2 out of a list of 8 games. And both of those
ports (animal corssing and Mario 64) are going to have significant mods, no
doubt.

The only issue I have
> though is Nintendo were said to be aiming for the 18-35 market (those with
> disposable income), yet there aren't many games here that appear to fit
that
> demographic.

It's struggle for Nintendo to conice developers to make mature themed games,
that's true. But I am optomistic. If Nintendo can market this as the grown
up system alongside the GB, which is the cheaper, kids system. Heck,
nintendo it already doing a great job marketting the SP to adults. I see
adults with them all the time now.
Anonymous
May 14, 2004 6:30:28 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.nintendo,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance,uk.games.video.gameboy (More info?)

"Paul Evans" <uknorthernerSPAMMEANDDIEYOULOWLIFESCUM2000@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<2gjvviF3nnnhU1@uni-berlin.de>...
> Unfortunately, once again Nintendo has gone for porting old titles over rather
> than creating any new ones (with the exception of Wario Ware and PictoChat).
> What we need are NEW games - how many people are getting pissed off with lazy
> half-arsed SNES ports for their GBAs at the moment? I would hope that PictoChat
> would be something that ends up being built in to the system so there's the
> opportunity to have instant messaging on the move without swapping carts.

I knew when I saw these articles I knew SOMEBODY was going to point
out the contrast between 100 and 99

> > Bandai
> > Dragonball Z
> > One Piece
> > Mobile Suit Gundam Seed*
> >
> > Banpresto
> > Dragonball Z
> >
> So what's going to be the difference between Bandai's Dragonball Z and
> Banpresto's version?

considering Bandai owns Banpresto.. who knows. But they again, there's
about as many DBZ games as Yugioh games so anything is possible
Anonymous
May 14, 2004 6:39:34 PM

Paul Evans wrote:

>> Nintendo
>> Animal Crossing DS
>> Mario Kart DS
>> Metroid Prime: Hunters*
>> Nintendogs
>> PictoChat (software that lets players send instant messages and
>> drawings using the DS's wireless capabilities.)*
>> Super Mario 64x4
>> Super Mario Bros. DS
>> WarioWare Inc. DS
>>
> Unfortunately, once again Nintendo has gone for porting old titles
> over rather than creating any new ones (with the exception of Wario
> Ware and PictoChat).

And Super Mario Bros. DS (brand new 2D Mario game) and Nintendogs and Mario
Kart DS (brand new tracks and racing dynamics) and Super Mario 64x4.

These are not ports of old titles in any way.

Followups set.

Tim (tm)
tim at economic-truth.co.uk
http://www.economic-truth.co.uk - the students' economics resource
http://www.ugvm.org.uk - the uk.games.video.misc magazine
Xbox Live gamertag: Xexyz
May 14, 2004 8:02:20 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.nintendo,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance,uk.games.video.gameboy (More info?)

Soni tempori elseu romani yeof helsforo nisson ol sefini ill des Fri, 14 May
uk.games.video.gameboy, yawatina tan reek esk "Paul Evans"
<uknorthernerSPAMMEANDDIEYOULOWLIFESCUM2000@hotmail.com> fornis do marikano es
bono tan el:

>> Nintendo
>> Animal Crossing DS
>> Mario Kart DS
>> Metroid Prime: Hunters*
>> Nintendogs
>> PictoChat (software that lets players send instant messages and
>> drawings using the DS's wireless capabilities.)*
>> Super Mario 64x4
>> Super Mario Bros. DS
>> WarioWare Inc. DS
>>
>Unfortunately, once again Nintendo has gone for porting old titles over rather
>than creating any new ones (with the exception of Wario Ware and PictoChat).

Super Mario 64x4, Hunters, and Super Mario Bros DS are all new.

deKay
--
+ Lofi Gaming - www.lofi-gaming.org.uk
|- ugvm Magazine - www.ugvm.org.uk

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.nintendo,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance,uk.games.video.gameboy (More info?)

> Are you expecting more from the PSP? LOL.

Um, the only game Sony (not third party) announced for a port was Gran
Tourismo 4. That game isn't even out on PS2 yet. And once Grand Theft Auto
gets announced for the PSP, its all over for the DS. And a 3D Final Fantasy
is just going to kill the DS. Damn to much torture for Nintendo next gen. I
really feel bad for them, seeing how my first console was a Nintendo.
May 14, 2004 11:02:30 PM

"eminem is back" <holamigo@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Are you expecting more from the PSP? LOL.
>
> Um, the only game Sony (not third party) announced for a port was Gran
> Tourismo 4. That game isn't even out on PS2 yet. And once Grand Theft Auto
> gets announced for the PSP, its all over for the DS. And a 3D Final
Fantasy
> is just going to kill the DS. Damn to much torture for Nintendo next gen.
> really feel bad for them, seeing how my first console was a Nintendo.

-Who's to say there won't be a grand theft auto for the DS? Nintendo did
right by making the DS so unique. Developers will make games for it purely
because it will allow them to do something new.

-DS already has a Final Fantasy game announced
Anonymous
May 14, 2004 11:18:30 PM

In alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 El Guapo <plethora@pinatas.com> wrote:

> Come to think of it, there are probably some very naughty ways this
> capability could be used by developers. Seen the Mario/Wario demo where you
> can manipulate their faces with the touch screen? Now apply that to Tecmo's
> DOA series, and you get the idea.

Without any sort of tactile feedback, what would be the point? (wait,
wrong audience...)
Anonymous
May 15, 2004 3:55:14 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.nintendo,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance,uk.games.video.gameboy (More info?)

> Um, the only game Sony (not third party) announced for a port was Gran
> Tourismo 4. That game isn't even out on PS2 yet. And once Grand Theft Auto
> gets announced for the PSP..<snip>

Yawn...next...

Sony is falling wayyyyy behind....
Anonymous
May 16, 2004 4:14:24 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.nintendo,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance,rec.games.video.sony,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

"R420" <radeonr420@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/05/13/news_6098199.ht...
>
> Nintendo announces 100 DS developers, 40-plus games
>
> Massive game-maker touts its portable's growing catalog, massive
> third-party support.
> Today in the Japanese press, Nintendo announced it has shipped DS
> software development kits to more than 100 companies worldwide. That
> figure puts the DS a nose ahead of the PSP for third-party support:
> Sony claims 99 developers are on board for its new handheld.
>
> So far, the DS game catalog is a varied bunch. First-party games are a
> perennial strength for Nintendo, and it's not surprising that they are
> the cornerstone of its new platform's catalog. So far, Nintendo has
> announced the following DS games:
[SNIP]

Wow! The DS has one additional announced developer on board...even though
not a single game has been released by any of the 99-100 developers for
either DS or PSP. Does that extra developer help make up for the discrepancy
in the number of motion picture studios releasing movies for the DS (zero)
and the number of music companies releasing albums for the DS (zero)?

The DS is a nifty gadget (just as the Virtual Boy was), but you've got to be
pretty disappointed if you feel compelled to post the news that the DS has
*one* more announced developer than the PSP. I'll take a $299
(estimated--could be less) handheld with a 16:9 HD display that plays
movies, music, and PS2-quality videogames over a $199 (announced) handheld
that only plays old GameBoy games and N64-quality videogames.
Anonymous
May 16, 2004 4:14:25 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.nintendo,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance,rec.games.video.sony,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

> I'll take a $299
> (estimated--could be less) handheld with a 16:9 HD display that plays
> movies, music, and PS2-quality videogames over a $199 (announced) handheld
> that only plays old GameBoy games and N64-quality videogames.

Now when you say PS2-quality video games do you mean poor quality...and
likewise when you say N64-quality do you mean incredible? Because unless you
put the term "graphics" in there, it sounds like game quality and N64 game
quality exceeds PS2 game quality by a good bit IMO. Plus, the PSP has no
real gaming innovation. So you can't expect much change/growth of quality.

--
Xbox Live Games: TOCA Race Driver 2 and PGR2.
Currently Playing: Nothing

"Bondo" <happyhappy@joyjoy.com> wrote in message

> > I'll take a $299
> > (estimated--could be less) handheld with a 16:9 HD display that plays
> > movies, music, and PS2-quality videogames over a $199 (announced)
handheld
> > that only plays old GameBoy games and N64-quality videogames.
>
> Now when you say PS2-quality video games do you mean poor quality...and
> likewise when you say N64-quality do you mean incredible? Because unless
you
> put the term "graphics" in there, it sounds like game quality and N64 game
> quality exceeds PS2 game quality by a good bit IMO. Plus, the PSP has no
> real gaming innovation. So you can't expect much change/growth of quality.

Yes, I meant "graphics" quality, but even if I meant game quality, I do not
agree with you that the quality of N64 games exceeds that of PS2 games. Go
back and play them! Even some of the classics seem dated today--slow frame
rates, foggy N64 graphics, repetitive MIDI-type music, bland textures, etc.
Burnout 2 and Burnout 3 are more exciting now than San Francisco RUSH, for
example. Perfect Dark, while great for its time, doesn't match up well
against a lot of the current PS2 first-person shooters.

No real gaming innovation? Playing 3D games on a handheld seems innovative
enough compared to the current market. But if you are referring only to the
gameplay, not to the hardware, then I suppose that could be true. On the
other hand, once could argue that there has been no innovation since the
original PlayStation. But those games were mostly 3D versions of earlier
games, so there has been no innovation since the 16-bit era. But those games
were simply improved from the 8-bit era, and so on (going back until you
reach Pong).

As I said before, if you can pay an extra $100 for a handheld that lets you
watch movies and listen to music as well as play games that look a heck of a
lot better, why wouldn't you? I'm sure I'll buy both the DS and the PSP, but
after seeing them at E3, I'm definitely more impressed with the latter.
Anonymous
May 16, 2004 2:08:53 PM

"Android" <androvich@NOcomcastSPAM.net> wrote in message

> "R420" <radeonr420@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/05/13/news_6098199.ht...
> >
> > Nintendo announces 100 DS developers, 40-plus games
> >
> > Massive game-maker touts its portable's growing catalog, massive
> > third-party support.
> > Today in the Japanese press, Nintendo announced it has shipped DS
> > software development kits to more than 100 companies worldwide. That
> > figure puts the DS a nose ahead of the PSP for third-party support:
> > Sony claims 99 developers are on board for its new handheld.
> >
> > So far, the DS game catalog is a varied bunch. First-party games are a
> > perennial strength for Nintendo, and it's not surprising that they are
> > the cornerstone of its new platform's catalog. So far, Nintendo has
> > announced the following DS games:
> [SNIP]
>
> Wow! The DS has one additional announced developer on board...even though
> not a single game has been released by any of the 99-100 developers for
> either DS or PSP. Does that extra developer help make up for the
discrepancy
> in the number of motion picture studios releasing movies for the DS (zero)
> and the number of music companies releasing albums for the DS (zero)?
>
> The DS is a nifty gadget (just as the Virtual Boy was), but you've got to
be
> pretty disappointed if you feel compelled to post the news that the DS has
> *one* more announced developer than the PSP. I'll take a $299
> (estimated--could be less) handheld with a 16:9 HD display that plays
> movies, music, and PS2-quality videogames over a $199 (announced) handheld
> that only plays old GameBoy games and N64-quality videogames.

You must be really naive if you think movie studio executives (other than
Sony) will see the PSP and it's UMD format as a viable method of
distribution. The hand-held market is tiny compared to the movie and DVD mar
ket. If you want to talk about the DS's features being gimmicks then i'd
have to say that the movie playback on the PSP is the most expensive gimmick
of them all.

Let's see... risk everything by re-marketing, re-distributing and
re-packaging movies for the PSP or... stick with the already hugely
successful, lucrative and established DVD market. Don't bother telling me
how Sony has been showing off 'yet another media format' to everyone, and
how this time the UMD 'will become THE media format', because it won't. We
don't need another media format, we need just one; almost like the DVD
really...
May 16, 2004 5:38:20 PM

"Richard Strong" <richard.strong@'remove'ntlworld.com> wrote in message

> "Android" <androvich@NOcomcastSPAM.net> wrote in message
> >
> > "R420" <radeonr420@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > > http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/05/13/news_6098199.ht...
> > >
> > > Nintendo announces 100 DS developers, 40-plus games
> > >
> > > Massive game-maker touts its portable's growing catalog, massive
> > > third-party support.
> > > Today in the Japanese press, Nintendo announced it has shipped DS
> > > software development kits to more than 100 companies worldwide. That
> > > figure puts the DS a nose ahead of the PSP for third-party support:
> > > Sony claims 99 developers are on board for its new handheld.
> > >
> > > So far, the DS game catalog is a varied bunch. First-party games are a
> > > perennial strength for Nintendo, and it's not surprising that they are
> > > the cornerstone of its new platform's catalog. So far, Nintendo has
> > > announced the following DS games:
> > [SNIP]
> >
> > Wow! The DS has one additional announced developer on board...even
though
> > not a single game has been released by any of the 99-100 developers for
> > either DS or PSP. Does that extra developer help make up for the
> discrepancy
> > in the number of motion picture studios releasing movies for the DS
(zero)
> > and the number of music companies releasing albums for the DS (zero)?
> >
> > The DS is a nifty gadget (just as the Virtual Boy was), but you've got
> be
> > pretty disappointed if you feel compelled to post the news that the DS
has
> > *one* more announced developer than the PSP. I'll take a $299
> > (estimated--could be less) handheld with a 16:9 HD display that plays
> > movies, music, and PS2-quality videogames over a $199 (announced)
handheld
> > that only plays old GameBoy games and N64-quality videogames.
>
> You must be really naive if you think movie studio executives (other than
> Sony) will see the PSP and it's UMD format as a viable method of
> distribution. The hand-held market is tiny compared to the movie and DVD
mar
> ket. If you want to talk about the DS's features being gimmicks then i'd
> have to say that the movie playback on the PSP is the most expensive
gimmick
> of them all.
>
> Let's see... risk everything by re-marketing, re-distributing and
> re-packaging movies for the PSP or... stick with the already hugely
> successful, lucrative and established DVD market. Don't bother telling me
> how Sony has been showing off 'yet another media format' to everyone, and
> how this time the UMD 'will become THE media format', because it won't. We
> don't need another media format, we need just one; almost like the DVD
> really...

The UMD format isn't meant to replace anything, its meant to allow the user
to watch DVD-quality movies on the PSP. It won't make all the movie studios,
as you say, 're-market, re-distribute and re-package' because in order to do
those thing you would have had to do them at least once already. It'll, most
likely, be no different than making a VHS and DVD version of something just
like they have been doing for the last 5-7 years.

RickB
Anonymous
May 16, 2004 6:55:45 PM

"RickB" <rberry883@comcast.net> wrote in message

> "Richard Strong" <richard.strong@'remove'ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> >
> > "Android" <androvich@NOcomcastSPAM.net> wrote in message
> > >
> > > "R420" <radeonr420@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> > > [SNIP]
> > >
> > > Wow! The DS has one additional announced developer on board...even
> though
> > > not a single game has been released by any of the 99-100 developers
for
> > > either DS or PSP. Does that extra developer help make up for the
> > discrepancy
> > > in the number of motion picture studios releasing movies for the DS
> (zero)
> > > and the number of music companies releasing albums for the DS (zero)?
> > >
> > > The DS is a nifty gadget (just as the Virtual Boy was), but you've got
> > be
> > > pretty disappointed if you feel compelled to post the news that the DS
> has
> > > *one* more announced developer than the PSP. I'll take a $299
> > > (estimated--could be less) handheld with a 16:9 HD display that plays
> > > movies, music, and PS2-quality videogames over a $199 (announced)
> handheld
> > > that only plays old GameBoy games and N64-quality videogames.
> >
> > You must be really naive if you think movie studio executives (other
than
> > Sony) will see the PSP and it's UMD format as a viable method of
> > distribution. The hand-held market is tiny compared to the movie and DVD
> mar
> > ket. If you want to talk about the DS's features being gimmicks then i'd
> > have to say that the movie playback on the PSP is the most expensive
> gimmick
> > of them all.
> >
> > Let's see... risk everything by re-marketing, re-distributing and
> > re-packaging movies for the PSP or... stick with the already hugely
> > successful, lucrative and established DVD market. Don't bother telling
me
> > how Sony has been showing off 'yet another media format' to everyone,
and
> > how this time the UMD 'will become THE media format', because it won't.
We
> > don't need another media format, we need just one; almost like the DVD
> > really...
> >

> The UMD format isn't meant to replace anything, its meant to allow the
user
> to watch DVD-quality movies on the PSP. It won't make all the movie
studios,
> as you say, 're-market, re-distribute and re-package' because in order to
do
> those thing you would have had to do them at least once already. It'll,
most
> likely, be no different than making a VHS and DVD version of something
just
> like they have been doing for the last 5-7 years.

Yes, except with tiny speakers and headphones and without a huge screen.
Anonymous
May 17, 2004 2:23:06 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.nintendo,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance,rec.games.video.sony,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

On Sun, 16 May 2004 14:55:45 +0100, "Richard Strong"
<richard.strong@'remove'ntlworld.com> wrote:

>> The UMD format isn't meant to replace anything, its meant to allow the
>user
>> to watch DVD-quality movies on the PSP. It won't make all the movie
>studios,
>> as you say, 're-market, re-distribute and re-package' because in order to
>do
>> those thing you would have had to do them at least once already. It'll,
>most
>> likely, be no different than making a VHS and DVD version of something
>just
>> like they have been doing for the last 5-7 years.
>
>Yes, except with tiny speakers and headphones and without a huge screen.

And an insignificantly small audience base, compared to the number of
VHS and DVD players, and most of the people who buy the PSP probably
won't be interested in buying movies for it anyway. Add in the fact
that the PSP's storage system is almost certainly going to be a good
deal more expensive to produce than a plain old DVD, meaning that any
movied produced is going to have to sell for a premium, PLUS the fact
that the other movie studios are't exactly going to be thrilled to be
paying liscensing fees to their competitor...
Anonymous
May 17, 2004 5:53:45 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.nintendo,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance,rec.games.video.sony,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

Oh please stop bashing Sony's portable.

What's the big deal about people advertising Video Playback on the PSP?
If my memory serves me correctly, Nintendo and Majesco has been
proudly touting the fact that they are capable of releasing episodes of
our ... well ... not ours... but our cousin's, 2nd brother-in-law's
twice removed grandchild's saturday morning cartoons on GBA cartiridges!

What the PSP boys are doing with this movie playback thing is nothing
more then shouting to others what it's capable of doing. It is NOT
meant to replace your portable DVD player. It is NOT meant to replace
your portable MP3 player. BUT - it COULD play back high quality movies.
It COULD play back back great music.

That is what I am interested in. What the unit is capable of doing. I
remember how I felt when my friend showed me an FMV on his Playstation
while I had nothing CLOSE to that on my N64. So forgive Sony for
touting this little feature on their portable. They have every God
given right to. And wish them luck in the portable war - because with
the DS and GBA in the market - they'll have to trade in sweat and BLOOD
to get a good foothold in the market.

Aloha!

drocket wrote:

> On Sun, 16 May 2004 14:55:45 +0100, "Richard Strong"
> <richard.strong@'remove'ntlworld.com> wrote:
>

>>>The UMD format isn't meant to replace anything, its meant to allow the
>>
>>user
>>
>>>to watch DVD-quality movies on the PSP. It won't make all the movie
>>
>>studios,
>>
>>>as you say, 're-market, re-distribute and re-package' because in order to
>>
>>do
>>
>>>those thing you would have had to do them at least once already. It'll,
>>
>>most
>>
>>>likely, be no different than making a VHS and DVD version of something
>>
>>just
>>
>>>like they have been doing for the last 5-7 years.
>>
>>Yes, except with tiny speakers and headphones and without a huge screen.
>

> And an insignificantly small audience base, compared to the number of
> VHS and DVD players, and most of the people who buy the PSP probably
> won't be interested in buying movies for it anyway. Add in the fact
> that the PSP's storage system is almost certainly going to be a good
> deal more expensive to produce than a plain old DVD, meaning that any
> movied produced is going to have to sell for a premium, PLUS the fact
> that the other movie studios are't exactly going to be thrilled to be
> paying liscensing fees to their competitor...

Anonymous
May 17, 2004 11:32:34 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.nintendo,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance,rec.games.video.sony,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

On Mon, 17 May 2004 01:53:45 GMT, Kalikopela
<juradoc001@hawaii.rr.com> wrote:

>Oh please stop bashing Sony's portable.
>
>What's the big deal about people advertising Video Playback on the PSP?
> If my memory serves me correctly, Nintendo and Majesco has been
>proudly touting the fact that they are capable of releasing episodes of
>our ... well ... not ours... but our cousin's, 2nd brother-in-law's
>twice removed grandchild's saturday morning cartoons on GBA cartiridges!
>
>What the PSP boys are doing with this movie playback thing is nothing
>more then shouting to others what it's capable of doing. It is NOT
>meant to replace your portable DVD player. It is NOT meant to replace
>your portable MP3 player. BUT - it COULD play back high quality movies.
> It COULD play back back great music.
>
>That is what I am interested in. What the unit is capable of doing. I
>remember how I felt when my friend showed me an FMV on his Playstation
>while I had nothing CLOSE to that on my N64. So forgive Sony for
>touting this little feature on their portable. They have every God
>given right to. And wish them luck in the portable war - because with
>the DS and GBA in the market - they'll have to trade in sweat and BLOOD
>to get a good foothold in the market.

1) Sony seems to be doing a good deal more than merely saying that
the system is capable of playing video. The press release for the PS
says:

"a robust copyright protection system has been developed which
utilizes a combination of a unique disc ID, a 128 bit AES encryption
keys for the media, and individual ID for each PSP hardware unit."

In other words, they've clearly spent time and effort developing PSP
as a video player, and appear to have plans to promote it as such

2) Considering, as you pointed out, that the GBA is already capable
of video playback, this is a less-than-stellar advancement in
technology, and therefore not something you'd want to spent time and
effort hyping. Unless, of course, you intend to promote the system as
a video entertainment center (as opposed to it simply being capable of
video.)
Anonymous
May 17, 2004 1:14:56 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.nintendo,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance,rec.games.video.sony,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

You missed the point of my post drocket.

If Sony wants to advertise it - let them. They have every god-given
right to. If they want to manufacture underwear with advertisements
about the PSP's capabilities in displaying high quality porn on your
PSP... they have every god given right to.

Now what are you trying to tell me? Something I already know? That PSP
is making a big deal about it? That they have been telling the world
that IF BY CHANCE the film industry wanted to produce films for the PSP,
that they can because of their "robust copyright protection system"?

Yeah - I know that. And as I said before - I wish them luck in their
endevours. Now... what's your problem again?

drocket wrote:

> On Mon, 17 May 2004 01:53:45 GMT, Kalikopela
> <juradoc001@hawaii.rr.com> wrote:
>

>>Oh please stop bashing Sony's portable.
>>
>>What's the big deal about people advertising Video Playback on the PSP?
>> If my memory serves me correctly, Nintendo and Majesco has been
>>proudly touting the fact that they are capable of releasing episodes of
>>our ... well ... not ours... but our cousin's, 2nd brother-in-law's
>>twice removed grandchild's saturday morning cartoons on GBA cartiridges!
>>
>>What the PSP boys are doing with this movie playback thing is nothing
>>more then shouting to others what it's capable of doing. It is NOT
>>meant to replace your portable DVD player. It is NOT meant to replace
>>your portable MP3 player. BUT - it COULD play back high quality movies.
>> It COULD play back back great music.
>>
>>That is what I am interested in. What the unit is capable of doing. I
>>remember how I felt when my friend showed me an FMV on his Playstation
>>while I had nothing CLOSE to that on my N64. So forgive Sony for
>>touting this little feature on their portable. They have every God
>>given right to. And wish them luck in the portable war - because with
>>the DS and GBA in the market - they'll have to trade in sweat and BLOOD
>>to get a good foothold in the market.
>

> 1) Sony seems to be doing a good deal more than merely saying that
> the system is capable of playing video. The press release for the PS
> says:
>
> "a robust copyright protection system has been developed which
> utilizes a combination of a unique disc ID, a 128 bit AES encryption
> keys for the media, and individual ID for each PSP hardware unit."
>
> In other words, they've clearly spent time and effort developing PSP
> as a video player, and appear to have plans to promote it as such
>
> 2) Considering, as you pointed out, that the GBA is already capable
> of video playback, this is a less-than-stellar advancement in
> technology, and therefore not something you'd want to spent time and
> effort hyping. Unless, of course, you intend to promote the system as
> a video entertainment center (as opposed to it simply being capable of
> video.)

Anonymous
May 17, 2004 5:26:46 PM

In article <JWUpc.54454$BG1.23788@twister.socal.rr.com>,
Kalikopela <juradoc001@hawaii.rr.com> wrote:

> What the PSP boys are doing with this movie playback thing is nothing
> more then shouting to others what it's capable of doing. It is NOT
> meant to replace your portable DVD player.

That's EXACTLY what it is meant to do (in addition to gaming.) This is
meant to be Sony's video WalkMan. Sony owns tons of movies, tons of
music videos. Very soon, you will find many major motion pictures,
especially recent on-video releases, available in PSP format. This
function will be played up as much as the gaming, once the product and
the movies are out.

It's proprietary, but it's a whole new format to sell movies on, and
studios love that. And it's purportedly secure from copying. We'll see
movies from many studios on it.
May 17, 2004 5:26:47 PM

"Mike O'Connor" <mike@leptonicsystems.com> wrote in message
> In article <JWUpc.54454$BG1.23788@twister.socal.rr.com>,
> Kalikopela <juradoc001@hawaii.rr.com> wrote:
>
> > What the PSP boys are doing with this movie playback thing is nothing
> > more then shouting to others what it's capable of doing. It is NOT
> > meant to replace your portable DVD player.
>
> That's EXACTLY what it is meant to do (in addition to gaming.) This is
> meant to be Sony's video WalkMan. Sony owns tons of movies, tons of
> music videos. Very soon, you will find many major motion pictures,
> especially recent on-video releases, available in PSP format. This
> function will be played up as much as the gaming, once the product and
> the movies are out.
>
> It's proprietary, but it's a whole new format to sell movies on, and
> studios love that. And it's purportedly secure from copying. We'll see
> movies from many studios on it.

The movies better be really, really inexpensive. I doubt people will want
to pay full price for a movie they can only watch on a very small screen.

drax
May 17, 2004 5:26:47 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.nintendo,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance,rec.games.video.sony,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

> It's proprietary, but it's a whole new format to sell movies on, and
> studios love that. And it's purportedly secure from copying. We'll see
> movies from many studios on it.

You're not that STUPID, are you? Really, you;re not? Pleae tell me you're
not?

It took a good five years before all of the Studios were on board with DVD,
for God's sake. And that was a mass market replacement for VHS, not to
mention the most successful consumer electornics product in history. Now
HD-DVD is on the horizon, and do you think the studio are chomping at the
bit to start releasing films in that format? NOT A CHANCE. Firstly they want
to milk everything they can out of DVD, before they start releasing their
back catalog all over again on HD-DVD. Second, they are not interested in
throwing a huge amount of support behind something that will remain a niche
format for several years until more people have HDTV's and players, and may
well remains a niche format for a while longer than that, since 90% of
people are more than happy with the wuality of standard DVD.

And you are trying to tell me that studio are going to jump at the chnace to
release movie on an inferiro format to DVD that can only be viewed on a
proprierty Sony portable video game system? Who in their right mind is going
to buy movies for the PSP? Would they not be better to buy a portable DVD
player that will let them play the same movie on the go as they do at home,
and with better quality?

Get real. Screw your head back on. We might see a few movies released for
the PSP, and they will all be Sony Pictures/Columbia Tristar releases. And
when they all flop Sony will quietly *forget* about the movie playing idea,
in North America at least.
Anonymous
May 17, 2004 5:48:18 PM

radeonr420@yahoo.com (R420) wrote in message news:<51488ce2.0405131932.1b1f085a@posting.google.com>...
> http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/05/13/news_6098199.ht...
>
> Nintendo announces 100 DS developers, 40-plus games

Hmmm... that's about 1/3rd as many as 3DO had... This should tell you
how relevant the # of developers is.

- Jordan
Anonymous
May 17, 2004 7:55:00 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.nintendo,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance,rec.games.video.sony,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

On Mon, 17 May 2004 09:14:56 GMT, Kalikopela
<juradoc001@hawaii.rr.com> wrote:

>You missed the point of my post drocket.
>
>If Sony wants to advertise it - let them. They have every god-given
>right to. If they want to manufacture underwear with advertisements
>about the PSP's capabilities in displaying high quality porn on your
>PSP... they have every god given right to.
>
>Now what are you trying to tell me? Something I already know? That PSP
>is making a big deal about it? That they have been telling the world
>that IF BY CHANCE the film industry wanted to produce films for the PSP,
>that they can because of their "robust copyright protection system"?

Are you freaking stupid or something? Sony spent time and effort
developing complicated encryption technology for the PSP and is hyping
the media capabilities of the PSP so that maybe by -sheer random
chance- it'll happen to get used as a movie platform?

Sony clearly intends to push the PSP as a video platform. We're just
listing the many reasons why the whole thing is a dumb idea.
Anonymous
May 17, 2004 8:10:17 PM

"drax" <drax1313@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> "Mike O'Connor" <mike@leptonicsystems.com> wrote in message
> > In article <JWUpc.54454$BG1.23788@twister.socal.rr.com>,
> > Kalikopela <juradoc001@hawaii.rr.com> wrote:
> >
> > > What the PSP boys are doing with this movie playback thing is nothing
> > > more then shouting to others what it's capable of doing. It is NOT
> > > meant to replace your portable DVD player.
> >
> > That's EXACTLY what it is meant to do (in addition to gaming.) This is
> > meant to be Sony's video WalkMan. Sony owns tons of movies, tons of
> > music videos. Very soon, you will find many major motion pictures,
> > especially recent on-video releases, available in PSP format. This
> > function will be played up as much as the gaming, once the product and
> > the movies are out.
> >
> > It's proprietary, but it's a whole new format to sell movies on, and
> > studios love that. And it's purportedly secure from copying. We'll see
> > movies from many studios on it.

So these many studios will give money straight to one of their competitors?

> The movies better be really, really inexpensive. I doubt people will want
> to pay full price for a movie they can only watch on a very small screen.
Anonymous
May 18, 2004 1:20:31 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.nintendo,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance,rec.games.video.sony,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

Bleh - the second I read Sony suggesting that you throw away your DVD
sets - I'll believe it.

As for the portable being used for movies as much as games? Yer dreaming.

As for sony advertising their movie playing capabilities - let it be.

Honestly - I came here to talk about Nintendo - not the PSP. Focus
people! Focus!!! :-)

Mike O'Connor wrote:
> In article <JWUpc.54454$BG1.23788@twister.socal.rr.com>,
> Kalikopela <juradoc001@hawaii.rr.com> wrote:
>

>>What the PSP boys are doing with this movie playback thing is nothing
>>more then shouting to others what it's capable of doing. It is NOT
>>meant to replace your portable DVD player.
>

> That's EXACTLY what it is meant to do (in addition to gaming.) This is
> meant to be Sony's video WalkMan. Sony owns tons of movies, tons of
> music videos. Very soon, you will find many major motion pictures,
> especially recent on-video releases, available in PSP format. This
> function will be played up as much as the gaming, once the product and
> the movies are out.
>
> It's proprietary, but it's a whole new format to sell movies on, and
> studios love that. And it's purportedly secure from copying. We'll see
> movies from many studios on it.
Anonymous
May 18, 2004 1:32:48 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.nintendo,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance,rec.games.video.sony,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

> Are you freaking stupid or something? Sony spent time and effort
> developing complicated encryption technology for the PSP and is hyping
> the media capabilities of the PSP so that maybe by -sheer random
> chance- it'll happen to get used as a movie platform?
>
> Sony clearly intends to push the PSP as a video platform. We're just
> listing the many reasons why the whole thing is a dumb idea.

You honestly need to chill out drocket.

The UMB format is meant to protect everything from pirating. That
includes your precious movies. But it also extends to the game, and
whatever media is on the disc. Or whatever subscription based content
you might have had. This is still a function of the System - a
possibility - but will it it replace your DVD player? The answer is a
flat no.

Unfortunately, this is a messageboard - and you can get away with
calling complete strangers "freaking stupid". My response to you - is
to grow up and get a life. And while yer at it, learn some manners.
Anonymous
May 18, 2004 3:49:11 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.nintendo,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance,rec.games.video.sony,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

On Mon, 17 May 2004 21:32:48 GMT, Kalikopela
<juradoc001@hawaii.rr.com> wrote:

>but will it it replace your DVD player? The answer is a
>flat no.

Is Sony hyping it to kingdom come that its going be a viable movie
platform? Hell yes, and if you can't see that, then I stand by my
'freaking stupid' comment.
May 18, 2004 6:13:15 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.nintendo,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance,rec.games.video.sony,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

"drax" <drax1313@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> "Mike O'Connor" <mike@leptonicsystems.com> wrote in message
> > In article <JWUpc.54454$BG1.23788@twister.socal.rr.com>,
> > Kalikopela <juradoc001@hawaii.rr.com> wrote:
> >
> > > What the PSP boys are doing with this movie playback thing is nothing
> > > more then shouting to others what it's capable of doing. It is NOT
> > > meant to replace your portable DVD player.
> >
> > That's EXACTLY what it is meant to do (in addition to gaming.) This is
> > meant to be Sony's video WalkMan. Sony owns tons of movies, tons of
> > music videos. Very soon, you will find many major motion pictures,
> > especially recent on-video releases, available in PSP format. This
> > function will be played up as much as the gaming, once the product and
> > the movies are out.
> >
> > It's proprietary, but it's a whole new format to sell movies on, and
> > studios love that. And it's purportedly secure from copying. We'll see
> > movies from many studios on it.
>
> The movies better be really, really inexpensive. I doubt people will want
> to pay full price for a movie they can only watch on a very small screen.

the UMB is one of Sony's latest storage media. (Previous formats Sony have
had a hand in creating are things like the CD, the MD, and the DVD...)

The PSP uses the UMB format, and if Sony delivers than it should playback
anything that is stored on a UMB disc, be it software, music or movies. It
is mainly a games console, but was designed to play movies and music as
well - much like the PS2, which is games console but plays DVDs and CDs as
well. And whos to say Sony won't release home UMB players for your theatre
systems? If the UMB format takes off, then in a few years every home might
have a UMB player... or at the very least many cellphones and PDAs and
other small might have builtin UMB drives...

<=[BC]=>
May 18, 2004 6:13:16 AM

"BC" <animusainthere@ihug.co.nzorami> wrote in message

> "drax" <drax1313@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >
> > "Mike O'Connor" <mike@leptonicsystems.com> wrote in message

> > > That's EXACTLY what it is meant to do (in addition to gaming.) This is
> > > meant to be Sony's video WalkMan. Sony owns tons of movies, tons of
> > > music videos. Very soon, you will find many major motion pictures,
> > > especially recent on-video releases, available in PSP format. This
> > > function will be played up as much as the gaming, once the product and
> > > the movies are out.
> > >
> > > It's proprietary, but it's a whole new format to sell movies on, and
> > > studios love that. And it's purportedly secure from copying. We'll see
> > > movies from many studios on it.
> >
> > The movies better be really, really inexpensive. I doubt people will
want
> > to pay full price for a movie they can only watch on a very small
screen.

> the UMB is one of Sony's latest storage media. (Previous formats Sony
have
> had a hand in creating are things like the CD, the MD, and the DVD...)
>
> The PSP uses the UMB format, and if Sony delivers than it should playback
> anything that is stored on a UMB disc, be it software, music or movies.
It
> is mainly a games console, but was designed to play movies and music as
> well - much like the PS2, which is games console but plays DVDs and CDs as
> well. And whos to say Sony won't release home UMB players for your
theatre
> systems? If the UMB format takes off, then in a few years every home
might
> have a UMB player... or at the very least many cellphones and PDAs and
> other small might have builtin UMB drives...
>
> <=[BC]=>

I think the capacity of the UMD is about 1.8 Gigabytes. Most current DVDs
are considerably larger than that, DVD-5 or DVD-9. Does Sony have a new
video compression system that will allow movies to fit on the much smaller
UMD media without compromising video and audio quality? Not to mention that
the current DVD format is pretty well entrenched in homes around the world,
do you think that everyone will run out and buy a new machine for their
house so they can watch the (assumedly) lower quality video on their TVs? I
doubt Sony has the strength to unseat the current format. Another point is
the declining quality of sony's consumer electronics. I've had enough
problems with sony gadgets (DVD burner, vaio laptop, cybershot digital
camera) that I can't see myself buying anything else with the sony name on
it.

drax
May 18, 2004 6:13:16 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.nintendo,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance,rec.games.video.sony,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

> The PSP uses the UMB format, and if Sony delivers than it should playback
> anything that is stored on a UMB disc, be it software, music or movies.
It
> is mainly a games console, but was designed to play movies and music as
> well - much like the PS2, which is games console but plays DVDs and CDs as
> well. And whos to say Sony won't release home UMB players for your
theatre
> systems? If the UMB format takes off, then in a few years every home
might
> have a UMB player... or at the very least many cellphones and PDAs and
> other small might have builtin UMB drives...
>
> <=[BC]=>

Wait, wait, oh my, you;re not actually saying this are you? Oh wait? You
are? You're trying to say that a propreityo format, which will have minial
third party support, has less resolution than DVD, less capcity that DVD
(therefore higher compression), has a chance of becoming a mass market
porduct that everyone and their dog will start adding to their entertainment
center?
Anonymous
May 18, 2004 6:13:16 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.nintendo,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance,rec.games.video.sony,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

And if the UMB format takes off - we'll have two giants to worry about
in this world...

Microsoft for personal and business computing...

Sony for entertainment...

The future looks bleak my friends... thank god for nintendo. ;)

BC wrote:

> The PSP uses the UMB format, and if Sony delivers than it should playback
> anything that is stored on a UMB disc, be it software, music or movies. It
> is mainly a games console, but was designed to play movies and music as
> well - much like the PS2, which is games console but plays DVDs and CDs as
> well. And whos to say Sony won't release home UMB players for your theatre
> systems? If the UMB format takes off, then in a few years every home might
> have a UMB player... or at the very least many cellphones and PDAs and
> other small might have builtin UMB drives...
>
> <=[BC]=>

Anonymous
May 18, 2004 6:13:17 AM

In article <2gs54eF65ln9U1@uni-berlin.de>,
"drax" <drax1313@hotmail.com> wrote:

> I think the capacity of the UMD is about 1.8 Gigabytes. Most current
> DVDs are considerably larger than that, DVD-5 or DVD-9. Does Sony
> have a new video compression system that will allow movies to fit on
> the much smaller UMD media without compromising video and audio
> quality?

There is no problem putting two hour movies on these discs without extra
compression. A DVD often has two or three soundtracks and extras. The
movie alone is no problem.

> Not to mention that the current DVD format is pretty well
> entrenched in homes around the world, do you think that everyone will
> run out and buy a new machine for their house so they can watch the
> (assumedly) lower quality video on their TVs?

It won't be lower quality. But it will have fewer things, like the
digital soundtrack. It is not meant to replace the DVD. These devices
are meant to replace portable DVD players and eventually the MiniDisc. A
DVD disc is simply too big for a pocket size device, so they had to do
something. And, people can now record on DVDs - but they can't record on
the new format. This is purposeful. The copy protection aspects of the
device are important to Sony. The fact that only Sony and its licencees
can make devices that create OR play these discs is a good thing in the
mind of Sony and the licencees who will make new devices and content.

Yes, other studios will release movies for this. It's more sales for the
movie. But Sony does not wish to put back-catalogs of movies on this
thing for now. For marketing reasons, they want to put mostly brand new
releases on it, to emphasize the cutting-edgeness of the device in its
first year.

> I doubt Sony has the strength to unseat the current format.

Not the goal. But they do want it to replace the portable DVD player.

> Another point is the
> declining quality of sony's consumer electronics. I've had enough
> problems with sony gadgets (DVD burner, vaio laptop, cybershot
> digital camera) that I can't see myself buying anything else with the
> sony name on it.

But enough others can.
Anonymous
May 18, 2004 8:43:19 AM

"drocket" <drocket@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> 1) Sony seems to be doing a good deal more than merely saying that
> the system is capable of playing video. The press release for the PS
> says:
>
> "a robust copyright protection system has been developed which
> utilizes a combination of a unique disc ID, a 128 bit AES encryption
> keys for the media, and individual ID for each PSP hardware unit."
>
> In other words, they've clearly spent time and effort developing PSP
> as a video player, and appear to have plans to promote it as such
>
> 2) Considering, as you pointed out, that the GBA is already capable
> of video playback, this is a less-than-stellar advancement in
> technology, and therefore not something you'd want to spent time and
> effort hyping. Unless, of course, you intend to promote the system as
> a video entertainment center (as opposed to it simply being capable of
> video.)

I don't know how you can call it a "less-than-stellar advancement." The GBA
video technology is said to work pretty well for what it is, but all that's
been shown so far are animated cartoons. Cartoons generally don't have vast
amounts of color and detail, so they are easier to compress when compared to
filmed footage of live action (which I don't believe has been demonstrated
on GBA, at least not publicly). The PSP video will certainly be higher
resolution, and probably higher quality and with better sound fidelity as
well. UMD discs can also hold about 3-4 times the amount of high-quality
video compared to GBA cartridges (which, again, are lower quality--the UMD
could probably hold 100 times the video if it was restricted to GBA
quality).

Speaking of cartoons on GBA, here's something else to consider: How about
cartoons on UMD? The cost of manufacturing a UMD disc would probably be
cheaper than a GBA cartridge, yet it would benefit from the advantages I
mentioned above. Instead of having to buy two separate $20 Spongebob
Squarepants GBA video cartridges (each holding about 45 minutes of video), a
parent could buy just one UMD disc with 90 minutes of cartoons for about the
same $20 price as a single GBA video cartridge.

Sony wouldn't have to convince all the movie studios to release their movies
to UMD format right away, but I bet they'd easily be able to convince the
studios that plan to put out cartoons on GBA cartridges to release improved
versions on UMD for the PSP.

--
Sal Manfredonia (smanfred@optonline.net)

"Having more fun than a human being should be allowed to have!" -- Rush
Limbaugh
May 18, 2004 8:43:20 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.nintendo,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance,rec.games.video.sony,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

> video technology is said to work pretty well for what it is, but all
that's
> been shown so far are animated cartoons. Cartoons generally don't have
vast
> amounts of color and detail, so they are easier to compress when compared
> filmed footage of live action

Actually, the opposite is true. Cartoons are much harder to compress without
visible artifacting because of the large areas of flat colour, and hard
black lines, compression artifacts are more visible.

More ass talk.

> resolution, and probably higher quality and with better sound fidelity as
> well. UMD discs can also hold about 3-4 times the amount of high-quality
> video compared to GBA cartridges (which, again, are lower quality--the UMD
> could probably hold 100 times the video if it was restricted to GBA
> quality).

Why the hell does this matter?

> Sony wouldn't have to convince all the movie studios to release their
movies
> to UMD format right away, but I bet they'd easily be able to convince the
> studios that plan to put out cartoons on GBA cartridges to release
improved
> versions on UMD for the PSP.

I think you overestimate their chances.
May 18, 2004 10:30:09 AM

> On Mon, 17 May 2004 21:32:48 GMT, Kalikopela
> <juradoc001@hawaii.rr.com> wrote:
>
> >but will it it replace your DVD player? The answer is a
> >flat no.
>
> Is Sony hyping it to kingdom come that its going be a viable movie
> platform? Hell yes, and if you can't see that, then I stand by my
> 'freaking stupid' comment.

Here, let's make this easy for you. Sony is releasing the PSP that will have
game functions, audio/video media playback functions and what not. One of
the functions will be similar to a portable DVD player so they are hyping
their product to inform the customers of the various and different features
of the unit. What has been a big downfall for a lot of products over the
last 20 plus years of consumer products?? Yep, lack of advertising and
marketing. Sony is doing what it has to in order to make sure there product
is advertised to as many people as possible which, they hope, will deliver
more sales in the end. Easy marketing approach that has worked wonders for a
majority of companies on and off Wall Street. Pretty basic economics if you
ask me.

RickB
May 18, 2004 2:50:45 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.nintendo,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance,rec.games.video.sony,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

> > Yes, a 90 minute movie *can* fill up a 9 gigabyte (GB) dvd easily. No
one
> is
> > questioning that it can't. what the previous poster was trying to say
the
> > the movie *could* be compressed in a way to fit on the new format. I
don't
> > think its even been confirmed the maximum capacity of the new format. If
> you
> > are the all-knowing then please provide proof.
> >

> He was saying it wouldn't need to be compressed. \

Then he is totally an utterly wrong.

> 1.8GB has been the only
> number I've seen reported, and seems reasonable based on its size. I
don't
> know if the size has been confirmed either, but I'd bet 1.8GB is very
close.

1.8gb is correct.
May 18, 2004 2:51:50 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.nintendo,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance,rec.games.video.sony,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

> > Wait, wait, oh my, you;re not actually saying this are you? Oh wait? You
> > are? You're trying to say that a propreityo format, which will have
minial
> > third party support, has less resolution than DVD, less capcity that DVD
> > (therefore higher compression), has a chance of becoming a mass market
> > porduct that everyone and their dog will start adding to their
> entertainment
> > center?
> >

> Yikes, who broke your keyboard?? It hurts to even read that paragraph.
>
> Proprietary formats are nothing new, we all have gotten used to some sort
of
> proprietary hardware or software over the last decade without any major
> problems.
>
> RickB
\

Nice job of avoiding the question. Guess you know you're wrong, as well as
too stupid too live, and you just don't wanna admit it.

Figures.
May 18, 2004 3:59:53 PM

> In article <2gs54eF65ln9U1@uni-berlin.de>,
> "drax" <drax1313@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I think the capacity of the UMD is about 1.8 Gigabytes. Most current
> > DVDs are considerably larger than that, DVD-5 or DVD-9. Does Sony
> > have a new video compression system that will allow movies to fit on
> > the much smaller UMD media without compromising video and audio
> > quality?
>
> There is no problem putting two hour movies on these discs without extra
> compression. A DVD often has two or three soundtracks and extras. The
> movie alone is no problem.

You are wrong. If, as reported, the UMD has a capacity of 1.8GB it won't
even hold one hour of DVD quality audio and video without extra compression.
4.7GB blanks are advertised as holding 2 hours of DVD video. You do the
math. Not to mention many, if not most, newer movies run over 2 hours.

If the sony UMD movies are lacking soundtracks and extras they should
already be much less expensive than regular DVDs, which is what I originally
said.

> > Not to mention that the current DVD format is pretty well
> > entrenched in homes around the world, do you think that everyone will
> > run out and buy a new machine for their house so they can watch the
> > (assumedly) lower quality video on their TVs?
>
> It won't be lower quality. But it will have fewer things, like the
> digital soundtrack.

It will be lower quality. I've yet to see any movie that would fit into
1.8GB of space regardless of soundtracks and extras. Newer movies tend to
be even bigger and longer than older movies.

> It is not meant to replace the DVD. These devices
> are meant to replace portable DVD players and eventually the MiniDisc. A
> DVD disc is simply too big for a pocket size device, so they had to do
> something.

I don't think a pocket size device is the right device for watching DVD
quality movies. Video clips and compressed audio would suit it better.

> And, people can now record on DVDs - but they can't record on
> the new format. This is purposeful. The copy protection aspects of the
> device are important to Sony. The fact that only Sony and its licencees
> can make devices that create OR play these discs is a good thing in the
> mind of Sony and the licencees who will make new devices and content.

This is one area that sony could have given themselves an advantage. If the
PSP could play regular recordable mini DVD think of all the people who could
make home movies and audio compilations and play them on the PSP.

> Yes, other studios will release movies for this. It's more sales for the
> movie. But Sony does not wish to put back-catalogs of movies on this
> thing for now. For marketing reasons, they want to put mostly brand new
> releases on it, to emphasize the cutting-edgeness of the device in its
> first year.

Again, you're looking at compression or multi-disks for each movie. If the
movies cost $5 or less it might work.

> > I doubt Sony has the strength to unseat the current format.
>
> Not the goal. But they do want it to replace the portable DVD player.

Laptop computers are becoming extremely inexpensive and can play regular
DVDs, games and use the internet. I can't imagine any thinking person
coming to the conclusion that they should buy two copies of a movie so they
can watch one at home and the other in the PSP.

> > Another point is the
> > declining quality of sony's consumer electronics. I've had enough
> > problems with sony gadgets (DVD burner, vaio laptop, cybershot
> > digital camera) that I can't see myself buying anything else with the
> > sony name on it.
>
> But enough others can.

Some maybe, but I doubt "enough".

drax
Anonymous
May 18, 2004 11:48:37 PM

On Tue, 18 May 2004 11:58:53 GMT, "RickB" <rberry883@comcast.net>
wrote:

>Let me guess, you actually used a PSP and are telling us from first-hand
>experience what it will be like??

I think its pretty easy to figure out a lot of ways that the PSP is
going to be in inferior movie player. A tiny screen, a proprietary
media format that's incompatible with everything else so your only
option for playing the movies you buy is on the previously mentioned
tiny screen, a media format that's going to be significantly more
expensive to produce than a DVD yet have lower capacity, a much
smaller market for movies than for DVDs...

It all adds up to more expensive movies that are lower quality than a
DVD and with many fewer usage options. I highly doubt you can debate
this conclusion.

> Riiiiggghhhtttt, I haven't seen anywhere
>that Sony is marketing the PSP as just a DVD-like movie player. They are
>marketing it as a portable game unit that *also* has the capabilities (out
>of the box) to play DVD-like movies and audio formats.

So its not a DVD-like movie player. It simply plays DVD-like movies.
Yes, there's worlds of difference there.

>Sony is marketing and advertising the unit for the features it has
>and what it is capable of doing

They're doing the exact same thing that they did with the PS2: Trying
to hide the fact that its second-rate gaming hardware by hyping the
fact that its also a third-rate movie player (regardless the number
and quality of PS2 games, purely from a hardware perspective, the PS2
is CLEARLY less powerful than the X-Box or GC, and as a dvd player, it
simply blows.)

>that is pretty basic R&D at its finest,

That's not R&D: That's marketting.

>or are you just upset that the DS isn't going to have similar functions?

Oh yes, I dream of having ANOTHER incompatible, expensive,
low-quality, proprietary media format. I lay awake at night yearning
for it.
May 18, 2004 11:48:38 PM

Some Moron wrote:
> >or are you just upset that the DS isn't going to have similar functions?

ROTFLMAO. I could care less about any of the silly extra feature in these
products. Both Xbox and PS2 are fine gaming machines, the Xbox being
slightly better, but both are absolutely terrible DVD players, and would
never use them as such. So I certainly won't be missing video features in
the DS, which would be an even worse video player.

Some smart perosn wrote:
> Oh yes, I dream of having ANOTHER incompatible, expensive,
> low-quality, proprietary media format. I lay awake at night yearning
> for it.

Hehehe.
Anonymous
May 18, 2004 11:48:38 PM

On Tue, 18 May 2004 19:48:37 GMT, drocket <drocket@hotmail.com> wrote:

>They're doing the exact same thing that they did with the PS2: Trying
>to hide the fact that its second-rate gaming hardware by hyping the
>fact that its also a third-rate movie player (regardless the number
>and quality of PS2 games, purely from a hardware perspective, the PS2
>is CLEARLY less powerful than the X-Box or GC, and as a dvd player, it
>simply blows.)

You're jumping the gun already writing off PSP as second-rate hardware
and a third-rate media player. They seem to have generated interest
from the developers who helped build the PSOne's brand to begin with.
And PSP hardware seems well suited for regurge ports, which I'm sure
they'll tap to the max. And whose to say at this point how creative
they will get with the video functionality UMD will offer.. It would
be in Sony's best interest to make the video playback functionality
useful for promotional gimmicks via game magazines, trade shows, and
other marketing tie-ins (eg anime & even digital manga).
Anonymous
May 19, 2004 12:32:28 AM

In article <2guvfkF79946U1@uni-berlin.de>,
"drax" <drax1313@hotmail.com> wrote:

> He was saying it wouldn't need to be compressed.

ALL consumer formats, including DVD, are compressed. The movie will not
need extra compression, by that I don't mean you take the DVD movie file
and move it to the smaller disc, but that it need not be compressed past
what is proper for standard TV. I believe this is Sony's intent, that
this video will be playable and satisfying on standard size TVs, not
just the PSP.
Anonymous
May 19, 2004 8:01:26 AM

In alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 Richard Strong <richard.strong@'remove'ntlworld.com> wrote:

> You must be really naive if you think movie studio executives (other than
> Sony) will see the PSP and it's UMD format as a viable method of
> distribution. The hand-held market is tiny compared to the movie and DVD mar
> ket. If you want to talk about the DS's features being gimmicks then i'd
> have to say that the movie playback on the PSP is the most expensive gimmick
> of them all.

I agree that this would be about as popular as buying albums on mini-disc.

However, if Sony created a PC package that included a UMD writer and some
software to convert DVDs (or other formats)... Sure, make this a separate
package from the basic PSP package.

As we've seen the popularity of hand-held digital music machines grow in
popularity (iPod anyone?) the next logical step would be a hand-held digital
video player. Yes, I know that you can use your laptop to play DVDs, and
then there's the highly illogical "portable DVD player" which costs almost
as much as a good low-end laptop. Portable DVD players can only play
DVDs and even the lightest laptop is still going to be close to 3 pounds
of equipment. Something that can play games, music and videos while
coming in under 2lbs is going to attract attention.
May 19, 2004 8:01:27 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.nintendo,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance,rec.games.video.sony,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

format as a viable method of
> > distribution. The hand-held market is tiny compared to the movie and DVD
mar
> > ket. If you want to talk about the DS's features being gimmicks then i'd
> > have to say that the movie playback on the PSP is the most expensive
gimmick
> > of them all.
>
> I agree that this would be about as popular as buying albums on mini-disc.
>
> However, if Sony created a PC package that included a UMD writer and some
> software to convert DVDs (or other formats)... Sure, make this a separate
> package from the basic PSP package.

Since DVD's are copy protected, nevermind the fact that copying DVDs is
illegal, the chnaces os Sony offering something like this are ZERO.

> as much as a good low-end laptop. Portable DVD players can only play
> DVDs and even the lightest laptop is still going to be close to 3 pounds
> of equipment. Something that can play games, music and videos while
> coming in under 2lbs is going to attract attention.

It will attract plenty of attention as a gaming platform. As a movie it's
pointless.
Anonymous
May 19, 2004 8:08:06 AM

In alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 drocket <drocket@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Sony clearly intends to push the PSP as a video platform. We're just
> listing the many reasons why the whole thing is a dumb idea.

You, and the others, are assuming that Sony only intends to release movies
and music in this new format. I think instead they would be wise to simply
sell blank UMDs with a drive that you plug into your PC and let you put
your own media onto the discs. If they're worried about copyright, then
only allow the software to rip directly from a CD or DVD, rather than
simply moving media files from your hard drive.

I highly doubt Sony would try to simply market pre-recorded content on
their new format after seeing how well sales of albums on mini-disc sold.
Anonymous
May 19, 2004 8:10:44 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.nintendo,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance,rec.games.video.sony,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

In alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 drocket <drocket@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Is Sony hyping it to kingdom come that its going be a viable movie
> platform? Hell yes, and if you can't see that, then I stand by my
> 'freaking stupid' comment.

I must have missed that press report... So far, Sony has only said what
the unit is capable of doing. Whether or not Sony intends to start
releasing movies on UMB has not been announced. Personally, I don't think
such a thing would do very well unless they push the UMB format into other
devices - such as their laptops and PDAs. Again, that hasn't been
announced and so remains speculation.
May 19, 2004 10:55:34 AM

> In article <2guvfkF79946U1@uni-berlin.de>,
> "drax" <drax1313@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> > He was saying it wouldn't need to be compressed.
>
> ALL consumer formats, including DVD, are compressed. The movie will not
> need extra compression, by that I don't mean you take the DVD movie file
> and move it to the smaller disc, but that it need not be compressed past
> what is proper for standard TV. I believe this is Sony's intent, that
> this video will be playable and satisfying on standard size TVs, not
> just the PSP.

Ok, he was saying it wouldn't need further compression. He was arguing that
DVD movies would fit on the 1.8GB if you cut out the extras. This is simply
not true. TV quality is not DVD quality, and so the discs should cost the
consumer much less than regular DVDs. This is what I originally said and
have repeated now a couple of times.

drax
!