Dell Inspiron 5000, Slow Start, 3 F, Stuck Key message , D..

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
May 10, 2005 10:21:05 PM

My computer is about 5 years old but has had hard drive updated,
memory expanded and is running on XP Pro and has been doing fine for
many months. Then last week it stated acting up and now it takes
about 3 minutes to start with a stuck key 3 F message then when it
finally comes up screen flashes when you try to click on an icon and
then system locks up!

Please advise as I am tired of my technician telling he has no clue.

Thanks,

Tom
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 10, 2005 10:21:06 PM

Hello,

Can you access your Bios Setup? Modern BIOS save a "log" of problems. I
suggest you to check for your hard drive configuration, maybe is wrong.
If you can activate SMART mode for your hard drive, I suggest you to do
it and check if you get an error message about your hard drive.
Apparently there is something wrong at boot, seems to be your hard
drive.

Good luck,

Daniel
Interdesigner Software Development

http://www.interdesigner.com
http://www.comparatorfast.com
http://www.networkclipboard.com
http://www.shutdowntools.com

ICQ # 61133529
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 10, 2005 11:19:41 PM

spence_27408@yahoo.com wrote:
> My computer is about 5 years old but has had hard drive updated,
> memory expanded and is running on XP Pro and has been doing fine for
> many months. Then last week it stated acting up and now it takes
> about 3 minutes to start with a stuck key 3 F message then when it
> finally comes up screen flashes when you try to click on an icon and
> then system locks up!
>
> Please advise as I am tired of my technician telling he has no clue.

The stuck key message sounds like a clue...some machines won't boot properly
if a key is pressed and held. Has your tech checked for one?

jak

!