Networker1

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2010
Hi,

I'm running Windows XP Pro SP3 but whenever I attempt to install TCP/IP protocol in order to get connected to a central wireless network via an access point (I have a SSID key)* I keep getting the message : "Could not add the requested component. The error is: The data is invalid"

Weirdly I'm able to get connected with the same credentials via another machine from the same location, which runs Windows Vista Home Basic, but not via the other machine, which until recently was working fine with an ethernet connection though and, in the past has worked just as good as part of a small home wireless network.

Can anybody suggest how I could get my head around this?
Thanks

* The wireless network I set up via the wizard is not even visible in "My network connections" window

Is the wireless network ID (SSID) visible?

have you deleted the software the wireless card came with? Try to have windows control the wireless card.

have you uninstalled the wireless card in the device manager?

have you downloaded the latest drivers?

Networker1

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2010

Thanks Emerald,

Here are my answers to your questions:

i) No, the wireless network ID (SSID) is NOT visible.

ii) I did NOT delete any software and, basically I didn't have to install any software I was just given the SSID and used the "create a small office / home network" wizard and, I was just asked to enter the SSID but, when I pressed "finish", nothing was there. So, how do I get windows to control (and possibly fix?) the wireless card?

iii) As far as I'm concerned, I have NOT uninstalled the wireless card in the device manager,

iv) I haven't dowloaded any drivers whatsoever. So, how do I determine whether I need updated drivers or not?

Many thanks