Screw stuck, been trying to get it out for 24 hours of motherboard. frustrated,

jackstack10

Honorable
Mar 11, 2012
hi, im frustrated as hell right now my motherboard is stuck to the case and the top of the screw is stripped. i cant take it out with pliers, superglue, or a screwdriver. i need to get this out. its pissing me off. i cant get any help on these forums. please help me. i can post pictures if needed. its closest to the back panel, and its a asrock extreme3 gen3 motherboard. i can see the back of the standoff screws but i dont know how to get the screw stuck in the standoff out. please help, im really really frustrated.

chesteracorgi

Distinguished
If you have a dremel you can cut the screw, but it is very delicate surgery. I did this with a stripped screw that held a heatsink on a video card, and the video card survived. But it takes a steady hand and patience. I also got the smallest vise grips that they make to hold the screw.

If you don't have the tools try to find someone who does.

terryd75

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2012
If it were me, i'd very carefully drill a small home in the screw. Then, i'd use an easy out or something to turn it. If you turn it enough, it shoud come out, stand off and all. The dremel tool is also a good idea. But.....i strongly recommend extreme caution. You can ruin your mbod very easily with either of these ideas. It may also be possbile, if you can access it from the back, to use a drill to get it to turn. By the way......It isn't necessary for these screws to be very tight. All they do is hold the mbod in place. it isn't going anywhere...... Just get them snug. No need to tighten them any more than that. Good luck.

neojofa

Honorable
Feb 17, 2012
I agree with the "drilling" method. I am an aircraft mechanic and it is the preferred method to get the job done. Find a screw that is the same size and use it to select a drill bit that is slightly more narrow than the screw. Get a drill and slowly drill straight down the center of the screw. When you get far enough the head of the screw will "pop" off. If you drill down and the head isn't popping, then grab a set of needle nose pliers and lightly wiggle the head. That should do the trick!

TRENDING THREADS