• Homebuilt
  • Gaming
  • Computer
  • Performance
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
May 4, 2011 2:56:50 AM

Hello All,

When is the good time to purchase a new rig? Because I think probably there are new stuff coming out to the market in the near future that is worth waiting.

Second, as I intend to use the computer mainly for gaming, which OS is better? W7 32-bit or 64-bit? How does the difference version affect gaming performance?

Thank you.

More about : question purchasing rig

a b B Homebuilt system
a b 4 Gaming
May 4, 2011 3:00:38 AM

Hi Kozalaq,
Windows 7 64 bit BY A LONG SHOT.
32-bit operating systems are limited to under 4 gigs of ram, while 64 bit can take advantage of much more. Nowadays, the minimum is usually 4 gigs, with most people opting for 8GBs. If you can pick, definately go 64-bit.
m
l
May 4, 2011 3:14:33 AM

thanks striker410 for the reply. i have read similar answer on google as well, as 64-bit enables the usage of >4gigs of ram. :) 

how about my 1st question? :D 
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b 4 Gaming
May 4, 2011 3:17:15 AM

Depends. If you want one now, get it now. If you can wait, wait for ivy bridge or LGA 2011 or Bulldozer. If it was me, I would wait as Bulldozer and Ivy bridge will probably blow the sandy bridge and Phenom II processors out of the water.

Hope it helps! :) 
m
l
May 4, 2011 3:44:04 AM

yeah, as I don't really need a new computer now, I can wait and survive with my ps3. :) 

Btw, do you know when will the mentioned cpu be released?
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b 4 Gaming
May 4, 2011 4:30:53 AM

it's looking like probably Q3-Q4 for ivy bridge. I'd guess a month or so for Bulldozer.
m
l
May 11, 2011 3:15:20 AM

Thanks for the reply, do you know which is likely going to be better choice? Bulldozer or Ivy Bridge?

Not sure if it's worth it to wait all the way until Q4.
m
l
!