MSI GX630 Boot Up Failure Win7

blopata

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2010
Hello TomsHardware! :hello:
So my MSI GX630 laptop is having some issues booting up regularly. I'll try to describe what happens to the best of my ability.

I hit power button, blue LED lights up as well as the processor working LED above the keyboard. I can hear a high pitched whirring noise emiting from the right side of the notebook, this is the first clue that the PC will fail to display after booting. After 5 or 6 seconds the screen also lights up, stays black until (presumably) windows boots up - I'm using Win7 86 bit but this was also happening on XP - at which point the monitor displays a weird usually greenish black as though the colors are draining out of the monitor. Here's the kicker, like clockwork everytime I reboot the second attempt the computer runs like a top.

I can't figure this one out, I assume it's a hardware problem (my guess would be hard drive) but I appeal to higher authorities for these and similar issues. Thank you for taking the time to read it and thank you for any replies in advance.

I hope someone can help me figure this out and solve it because I want to sell this notebook asap!

blopata

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2010
internalz.jpg

The sound is coming from there as far as i can tell. I don't know if there is an intake, but there is an exhaust on the right hand side of the notebook (left hand side for the image).

hope this helps!

blopata

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2010
Thanks for the replies. I thought it could be the fan but that does not explain how every reboot after letting windows start it works perfectly. What's changing from the unsuccessful boot to the successful boot and why does it make the screen look odd if its just a fan?

blopata

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2010
I hate to look a gift horse in the mouth, but I really don't buy this explanation. It doesn't overheat when running, and if it is the fan not working properly shouldn't there be some consistency regarding booting?